Ship taking 40 degree rolls---video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Container ships lose thousands of containers over the side every year. The shipper's consider it the cost of doing business.

Wow!! What kind of seas would roll an 800 foot vessel like that? :eek::eek:

Just regular old North Atlantic (and North Pacific) winter weather. That kind of ride is not unusual.

Have been on a containership that rolled so badly it launched a stack of boxes over the side without even touching the rail.

We took a 43° roll on a Spruance Class destroyer in 1991 during a typhoon off Korea- suffice it to say, it was scary and exciting all at the same time!

We took a 43° roll on a Spruance Class destroyer in 1991 during a typhoon off Korea- suffice it to say, it was scary and exciting all at the same time!
That Spruance class was great ship. In 1991, I believe they had the VLS cells right? But the Tico's take the cake IMO.

Have you ever seen one of these containers in semi-floating status at sea?
In particular I heard that containers fridges are sealed and in this condition.
Do you imagine a crash at night?

Reefer containers are fitted for air exchange and are probably more easily sunk than a dry box. How they float depends more on what is in them.

should have gone with the 10" fenders instead of cheaping out on the 8" ones

I can't believe that guy. He scratched the paint!!!

Johnma

If only the ship had been docked on the other side of the pier.

He must have had no power. I can't believe that a tug couldn't get in there, and get a line on to tow it out to anchor. Could it have been an insurance job? I wonder.:confused::confused:

In a LOT of situations like that...the owner didn't want to pay the going rate for some tug/salvage company to take the risky job.

Better to take the loss and disappear.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom