Ship Manouver Fail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't see how a "faulty propeller" could cause this, then again, reporters always get things wrong. It looks to me like the tug was pulling the ship around from the bow. Certainly during the video the ship did not get up any headway, even with a pretty strong wash coming from the prop.

Hard to watch for anyone who has a boat secured in a marina! We have ships that size go by our marina all the time.

Yeah, hard to believe the "faulty propeller" claim. It looks like, as the ship powered up, that it was pivoting around the tug, which I assume was tied to the ship. That is exactly what you would expect to happen. It did not look like the tug was taking any action at all to try and help.

Guessing is all you can do now...the media is generally worthless for facts. Having driven ships and acted as a tug for ships...the one visible tug seems to not be doing much to help unless the pilot/captain is directing it's inefficient use.

Oh... that will buff right out..

Friends of ours got hit in a lesser but similar type indecent in Rarotonga when we were out cruising. The tug Captain lost his situational awareness and didnt listen to the lookout's on the ship.. luckily the boats hit were at anchor vs. locked into a marina. At least with the great videos it will be hard for the insurance companies to put up too much of a fuss.

HOLLYWOOD

Guessing is all you can do now...the media is generally worthless for facts. Having driven ships and acted as a tug for ships...the one visible tug seems to not be doing much to help unless the pilot/captain is directing it's inefficient use.

Tug outside my window this morning:

232323232%7Ffp54374%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D396%3A%3C378%3C4336nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp54385%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D396%3A%3C378%3B%3B336nu0mrj

wow, we freaked out about the 47' sea ray crashing broadside into the back of our slip Friday. this really puts that little nothing accident in perspective. Relieved to hear nobody was hurt.

wow, we freaked out about the 47' sea ray crashing broadside into the back of our slip Friday. this really puts that little nothing accident in perspective. Relieved to hear nobody was hurt.

Jennifer. How's about a new thread, with photos and details?

Just wondering what the insurance company stooge will use deny coverage to all those boats. The ship probably just needs a gallon of paint.

Nah, it's Europe, they'll pay and quickly too.
You have to get something for all the high prices they pay.

Most ships today use variable pitch props. If the prop was stuck on too high a pitch in reverse the tug would be unable to overcome the ship's rearward movement.

Back
Top Bottom