Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Shifting North Magnetic Pole Forces Unprecedented Navigation Fix – gCaptain

https://gcaptain.com/shifting-north-...avigation-fix/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:06 PM   #2
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
If you read about the relationships between the earth's magnetic field, solar winds, atmosphere, weather, climate, radio transmission, cell phones, etc; you will feel like you are listening to the UFO conspiracy theory network.
Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:19 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
We were there last week. Had the devil of a job finding the thing but once found, we moved it about 200 meters, just to see if anyone noticed.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:09 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Magnetic Declination is an interesting phenomenon to explore. I wanted to see how the Magnetic Declination map would look like for navigation in Europe on January 1, 1945. Used this model to explore these calculations.

http://www.geomag.nrcan.gc.ca/calc/mdcal-en.php
JDCAVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:39 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
We dealt closely with magnetic variation ("mag var") adjustments very precisely in the flight inspection of FAA ground and space-based navaid systems. When the variation exceeded set limits, a new adjustment factor was applied and all magnetic references are changed in the charting...even runways get renumbered. (Airport management staffs HATE that!)

I have a theory of the next evolution of this newfound catastrophe. I think we have global warming to blame for its accelerated rate of change. We need to tax compasses and GPSs to institute immediate corrective measures.

The balance of nature and navigation hangs in the balance.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:41 AM   #6
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Flywright, I completely agree. I once was a denier and frolicked in a carefree way with the Deplorables but now I’ve seen the light and the light says “tax them back to the Stone Age!” Tax those devices until the magnetic pole gets the message and stays put! How dare it think it can wander the planet with impunity (what is a “compass” and what does it do?)!
Old 01-15-2019, 06:39 AM   #7
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
Exactly! The higher the tax, the quicker the pole deviation will get fixed!
I also wonder if there shouldn't be a higher-than-fair tax levied on those owners with steel boats...surely just allowing all of that magnetic material to navigate the seas unchecked & untaxed is having an effect on our compass accuracy.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:47 AM   #8
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
“I once was a denier and frolicked in a carefree way with the Deplorables”

Say it ain’t so! Deplorables is Canada?
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:48 AM   #9
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
C'mon guys this is serious. Moving trillions of tons of magma back to its previous location will forestall moving Siberia to Africa. Those pesky Russians are just trying to warm up, gotta stop them.

But, my plotters and other devices have a true heading and magnetic both. I keep the closer eye on T. I've found in the far North some wild localized magnetic swings, to the point real charts and visuals come into play for safety purposes. Even old charts note the "beware" areas.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:33 AM   #10
Grand Vizier

My personal opinion is that democratic Rep. Hank Johnson, who expressed concern that Guam would tip over if too many US troops were stationed on one side of the island should head up a blue ribbon panel to explore the feasibility of having everyone on the east coast move to S. Cal so the pole will be tipped back to the West, where it belongs. The government can pay for the move.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #11
Guru

Here we are with the planet on the verge of extinction, and you guys are jokin' about it? Shame on you.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:54 AM   #12
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
"Compass needles point towards the north magnetic pole, a point which has crept unpredictably from the coast of northern Canada a century ago to the middle of the Arctic Ocean, moving towards Russia."

It's them damned Russki's what's doing it. And they did it for the Trumpster so's he could be warmer at his golf courses in FL and his hotels in NYC. Methinks we need a congressional investigation to determine Trump's involvement.

Where's Robert Mueller when we need him?
Old 01-15-2019, 12:38 PM   #13

City: Kiln,MS
Lmao at the Russian connection.

I remember watching a documentary some years ago on this subject. From what I remember they said the poles have been swapping sense the earth was formed. They figured out it was swapping directions by testing the magnetic signature of the rock and the age of it. Interesting enough by there calculation we were over due for it to swap.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #14
Guru

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Ana
I'm think that this is going to be like climate change, the naysayers will laugh and make snowballs on the floor of congress and we'll do nothing. Then the sh*t hits the proverbial fan and no ones laughing anymore. The last time this happened was supposedly 780,000 years ago, do any of you remember what it was like?
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:57 PM   #15

City: Marietta
Vessel Model: Cobalt 246
I’m loving the excellent comedy in this thread. Hank Johnson for Polar Czar! Make Ellesmere Island Great Again!
Old 01-17-2019, 10:08 AM   #16
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CAT View Post
Lmao at the Russian connection.

I remember watching a documentary some years ago on this subject. From what I remember they said the poles have been swapping sense the earth was formed. They figured out it was swapping directions by testing the magnetic signature of the rock and the age of it. Interesting enough by there calculation we were over due for it to swap.
This turned out to be one of the proofs that plate tectonics existed and the Atlantic Ocean is growing.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote