Old 11-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Barnegat Bay
Vessel Name: Hey Jude
Vessel Model: KK42-94
Excellent Surveyors in the Fort Myers Area

Need some help... I'm looking at a boat in the Fort Myers area and am in need of proven surveyors. I'm thinking one to do a normal/overall survey, and another to do an engine and possibly genny survey (Yanmar 6LYA-STP/Kohler 8kw). I can probably start with the SAMS site, and locate local Yanmar and Kohler distributors, etc., but rather than start with a list of unknown names, I'd really like to try to get some referrals from been-there-done-that forum members who are very happy with the knowledge, experience level, thoroughness, and overall experience they had when going through the survey process on their boats. Any (and all) input is GREATLY appreciated.
Thx Karl

I may have posted this in the wrong category, so am going to post it under General Discussion. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:31 AM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Kip Turner in Punta Gorda did a good job for me several years ago. Here is his info from the SAMS site:

Kip D. Turner - Accredited Marine Surveyor - 1999
MagnifiCo Marine Surveys & Services
1830 Banana Street
Punta Gorda, Florida 33980
941-456-2500 -O, 941-456-2501 -Cell, 941-627-3067 -Fax
kipturner@yahoo.com
Specialty:Yachts, Small Craft

He is a general, hull surveyor but did a good job on a small Yanmar in a sailboat. Maybe you can work with him to use the checklist that I posted here http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ist-13125.html. It is specific to the Yanmar 6LY.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Barnegat Bay
Vessel Name: Hey Jude
Vessel Model: KK42-94
Thank you very much David! I took a look at your checklist post and it's great info. I had previously come across some info regarding inadequate exhaust height which sounded pretty scary. Would it be possible for you to email me or post pics of your 6LY exhaust setup with the extension & 3rd elbow you mentioned, that resolved the 12" height and possible water ingestion issues? Are those parts stock items available from a supply house or did you need to have them fabricated?
Thx, Karl
Old 11-11-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Extending exhaust riser

Karl:

After purchasing my 2003 Mainship Pilot 34 in late 2012, I became concerned that the exhaust riser was only 8" above the water line. A minimum of 12" is recommended to keep sea water from backing up into the exhaust.

Most downeast style hulls have this problem, and I will bet that many boats that have no riser above the exhaust turbo outlet also have this problem. I am continually amazed at how many boat builders ignore this problem and their customers suffer for it many years later.

So I extended the riser height by 8" which now gives me 16" which is plenty.

The first pic shows the exhaust before the modifications. This is assembled from standard Yanmar parts: a non jacketed elbow that mates to the turbo outlet and a mixer/elbow. The 2-4 pics show the modifications I made. I had a marine welding shop cut off the v-clamp fitting on the top of the bare elbow and weld an 8" x 2-1/2" pipe extension to it and a long radius elbow. The removed fitting was welded to the LR elbow so it would mate with the Yanmar elbow/mixer.

The second pic shows the modification before the elbow/mixer was installed, the third shows the mixer installed, and the fourth shows the final installation.

The welding was done by Just Right Auto and Marine in Wanchese, NC to my design using standard pipe fittings. It was pretty easy to do as all welds were at right angles and the Yanamr v-joints made it easy to line everything up right afterwards.

So what kind of boat are you considering? If I can see pictures on Yachtworld of the engine room I can give you a guess as to what problems if any you may be facing.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Yanmar 6LY Exhaust Elbow from Above.jpg   Bella bare high riser.jpg   Bella final exhaust system.jpg   Bella exhaust blanket.jpg  
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote