Old 09-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #1
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Sherpa: RIP

Hello, All. Poor Sherpa is in the direct path of Irma. She is secured at Loggerhead Marina in St. Petersburg, but I don't expect her to make it through intact. Her slip is relatively protected so who knows.

Most importantly, I hope all my fellow Floridians are and remain safe. I live in Central Florida so we are bracing for the worst.

Be safe everyone.

Chris
Vashon_Trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:08 AM   #2
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Wish you she goes through this without any damage, keep hope and good luck.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:16 AM   #3
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Crap. Best of luck
Old 09-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #4
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Keep the Faith!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #5
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Local channel here in Florida shows the center of the storm becoming ragged, the backside falling apart. It's moving north now and if it continues on that track it could weaken further, leaving us on the left side of the storm, a bit more hope. Sarasota Bay has been blown out to the point that several manatees have been grounded and can't get out.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:53 PM   #6
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Chris: No doubt you're tied in knots about this. But, try to be easy. Loggerhead is about as well protected as you can get at the south end of the Pinellas County peninsula. And at 1500, reports are that Irma's sustained wind speeds are ticking down, maybe even to around 90kt. (This is as she moves inland over Marco Island). Peace, and let's all hope for the best. A little luck never hurts, either!!!
Old 09-10-2017, 06:59 PM   #7
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Use Windy to estimate winds at any location.. Updated regularly.

https://www.windy.com/?28.298,-80.748,13,m:eskadUD
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Use Windy to estimate winds at any location.. Updated regularly.

https://www.windy.com/?28.298,-80.748,13,m:eskadUD
They've been amazingly accurate at our house. 47 mph now. I have no idea if they're accurate on 24 ft seas at 11 seconds outside Port Everglades.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:34 PM   #9
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
BandB wrote, "I have no idea if they're accurate on 24 ft seas at 11 seconds outside Port Everglades."

Me either, but willing to take their word for it.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:44 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissboat View Post
BandB wrote, "I have no idea if they're accurate on 24 ft seas at 11 seconds outside Port Everglades."

Me either, but willing to take their word for it.
Well, we're in curfew until 10:00 AM so can't look if I wanted to. Hoping Sherpa is ok too.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:55 PM   #11

City: Houston
It occurs to me that manatees and trawlers have similar challenges in the face of a storm. Slow moving, don't handle groundings very well, etc. Let's hope both come through this unscathed...Save the Trawlers!
CDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:15 PM   #12
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Trawler Lives Matter.
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:37 PM   #13
Guru

City: Boston Area
now THAT was funny !!
Benthic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #14
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Chris - any update on Sherpa?
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:12 PM   #15
Guru

Good day, everyone! I happy to report that power has FINALLY been restored at my home (almost 10 days) and Sherpa is unscathed. My brother visited Loggerhead a few days ago and sent me pictures--not a mark! Even her welcome mat remained in the same spot. I assumed, at best, I would get away with a broken VHF antenna but all okay.

My home city of Sebring is in Highlands County, Florida. We were the second hardest hit county in the state. The clean-up has been immense. There was tons of yard debris at my home but fortunately no damage outside eight shingles. Others did not do so well.

Well, I am going to enjoy my first hot shower in 10 days and consider myself fortunate.

I was extremely impressed with Loggerhead who sent me regular communication regarding the marina.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissboat View Post
Chris: No doubt you're tied in knots about this. But, try to be easy. Loggerhead is about as well protected as you can get at the south end of the Pinellas County peninsula. And at 1500, reports are that Irma's sustained wind speeds are ticking down, maybe even to around 90kt. (This is as she moves inland over Marco Island). Peace, and let's all hope for the best. A little luck never hurts, either!!!
Thanks, Blissboat. This was one of the reasons why we chose this marina. Frenchman Creek is very well protected. I wish I had power to read your and everyone else's messages at the time.

Don't get me started on Sprint! Cell communication was practically nonexistent for me. I am so glad I kept my landline!
Old 09-20-2017, 01:20 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashon_Trawler View Post
Good day, everyone! I happy to report that power has FINALLY been restored at my home (almost 10 days) and Sherpa is unscathed. My brother visited Loggerhead a few days ago and sent me pictures--not a mark! Even her welcome mat remained in the same spot. I assumed, at best, I would get away with a broken VHF antenna but all okay.

My home city of Sebring is in Highlands County, Florida. We were the second hardest hit county in the state. The clean-up has been immense. There was tons of yard debris at my home but fortunately no damage outside eight shingles. Others did not do so well.

Well, I am going to enjoy my first hot shower in 10 days and consider myself fortunate.

I was extremely impressed with Loggerhead who sent me regular communication regarding the marina.
Wifey B: Hope you apologized to Sherpa for burying her prematurely. Sherpa quoting Mark Twain, "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

Glad your boat is ok and you're back in your home. Amazing how many boats in some of the worst places survived with little to no damage. In many cases better than the houses and the ones in water better than the ones on land. Maybe we should build more fiberglass houses.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:19 PM   #18
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
If my boat was in a hurricane path I'd move it. Hurricane paths are know as much as a week in advance. Responsibility comes with boat ownership. If you can't take the time maybe you're in the wrong job.
People that leave their boats to be destroyed raise the rates for all of us. And rates will be going up after the loss payments this year.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #19
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
I guess you should breathe better now with this good news. Now time to rub her gently and express your love for her lol

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
If my boat was in a hurricane path I'd move it. Hurricane paths are know as much as a week in advance. Responsibility comes with boat ownership. If you can't take the time maybe you're in the wrong job.
People that leave their boats to be destroyed raise the rates for all of us. And rates will be going up after the loss payments this year.
And just where would you move the 1,000,000+ boats in Florida? Many of them are safest right where they are in marinas that have been built to provide hurricane protection. Would you risk your life to move your boat? Or what about your house and your family?

I just find that statement from someone in the PNW reflects a lack of knowledge of the area. Many who moved boats too moved to worse locations. What is really needed is quality homes and marinas built to hurricane codes for homes and standards for marinas.

A lot of houses came through well because of how they were built, as did many marinas. There are many marinas I'd feel comfortable in, not without worry, but as comfortable as possible. I've seen people encouraged to haul boats and consistently seen boats hauled at a marina and put on land there damaged more than the boats in the docks.

We didn't move any boats we own or manage and have zero damage. Now, Fort Lauderdale was luckier than some areas.