Old 05-18-2015, 02:12 PM   #41
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by restless View Post
There is A nice rig in Everett, and no one seems to mind???
The city of Everett is made up of people with a hell of a lot more sense of reality than the city of Seattle. Everett knows the value of things that bring jobs---- Boeing, lumber, railroads, the US Navy, oil rig parking, marina's, boat launches, etc. When Boeing wanted a deep-water dock as a backup to air transportation for the 787's (and 777's) components that come from Japan, Everett didn't bat an eye and they built the dock.

The number of kayak protesters in Seattle I've heard was about 20. But maybe more showed up on a different day.

The ruckus, at least the official one, seems to have died down now that it's come out that Shell pumps millions of dollars into Seattle (and Seattle's politicians) for all sorts of things, not just oil-rig parking. every year.

While I know there are cities on the planet that are worse than Seattle, I haven't been to any of them yet (except maybe Sao Paulo). Seattle can't do anything right anymore for love nor money. We went to a concert in downtown Seattle Friday night and while the concert was great, the experience of going into and walking around in Seattle was pathetic.

When people we know in different places express an interest in visting Seattle we recommend they not bother. Washington State has lot of great things and places that are well worth visiting, both in western and eastern Washington. But other than the airport, there is no reason we can think of anymore to spend time in Seattle itself.

I'm surprised Shell didn't put both rigs in Everett unless there is simply no room for two of them up there.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:18 AM   #42
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I cannot speak for what gooes on in the gulf, but I can comment on what goes on in the Arctic.

Folks would not believe the extradornary measures we go through to prevent spills. Rest assured we are being good stewards of our enviroment. We know whats at risk and we work hard as individuals and as a team to do no harm to our surroundings.

I won't say that concern is unwarranted, of course folks should be concerned. We are all concerned and our work practices are a direct result of that concern.
Amen!

Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:23 AM   #43
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
To those idiots in their plastic boats made from petroleum:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-22_0857.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	40311  
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #44
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Well I'm sure that oil spill in CA got those kayakers all fired up!
Old 05-20-2015, 02:12 PM   #45
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
What the kayaks are made of has nothing to do w the essence of the protest.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:16 PM   #46
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post

While I know there are cities on the planet that are worse than Seattle, I haven't been to any of them yet (except maybe Sao Paulo). Seattle can't do anything right anymore for love nor money. We went to a concert in downtown Seattle Friday night and while the concert was great, the experience of going into and walking around in Seattle was pathetic.
I was born and raised in Seattle. After my wife retired from Boeing we moved to Port Orchard and I don't miss Seattle at all. I just wish that Fisheries Supply wasn't in Seattle however if you order more than $100 of boat parts the shipping is free. It really takes an emergency for me to even think of driving in that city.

The five stages of life: Sailboats, Motorboats, Motor Homes, Nursing Home, Funeral Home.
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #47

City: Montgomery
Hello to all. This is my first post ever on this forum. I recently read about the great loop and started doing some research which led me to this forum. I'm posting on this topic because I am a subsea engineer and currently on a drilling rig in Africa as I type. I was in the Gulf of Mexico a short distance away when Macondo blew out and could see the fire in the distance. It is quite difficult for me to explain how terrible it was listening to the media and the reports by people that were "oilfield experts". The reality and the reporting were very far apart. I can say that the efforts the industry goes through to protect the environment are more extreme than people understand but I also don't have rose colored glasses. It is a tough and complex world out here on the rigs. Accidents are a part of this industry just like any other. It's nice to see that the boaters here are a little more understanding of the realities...at least most anyway.
Truth is money always wins in the end and not having accidents keeps the most money in the pockets of the big oil companies.

The 2 rigs up north are for Transocean and Noble...Shell is just the contractor.

xanaphyst is offline   Reply With Quote