Old 03-17-2015, 08:53 AM   #21
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
There are Selene 53's built with masts and those built with arches. Of course the masts being taller.

We have the model with the arch. It is built with hinges so you can drop it down if need be. So far we haven't had to do this. With the VHF antennas down our air draft is right under 35 ft and we've made every bridge we encountered in the ICW regardless of tide.

No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:18 AM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mast View Post
There are Selene 53's built with masts and those built with arches. Of course the masts being taller.

We have the model with the arch. It is built with hinges so you can drop it down if need be. So far we haven't had to do this. With the VHF antennas down our air draft is right under 35 ft and we've made every bridge we encountered in the ICW regardless of tide.
From what it sounds 19.1 feet is your limiting bridge for the loop....

Frequently Asked Questions - AGLCA

Are you saying that at 35 feet you have made it under ever bridge on the ICW whether open or not?.....or the ones that could open you had open?

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:25 AM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrfxrs View Post
Would it be reasonable to do the Loop in a Selene 53?
So based on the above, it seems you can't loop with a Selene 53. The most you could do is get to Chicago. I'm not familiar with the waters the FAQ references, but it does mention some other spots where we couldn't go.

CORRECTION, Yes we can loop but we need to take the arch down to do so. I was recalling our aircraft incorrectly.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #24
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
So based on the above, it seems you can't loop with a Selene 53. The most you could do is get to Chicago. I'm not familiar with the waters the FAQ references, but it does mention some other spots where we couldn't go.
How much more clearance do you need?

You could do like the guy I met near Jacksonville, Fl with the older, traditional look Bertram Motoryacht. He would just flood his bilges when he needed a little more...probably was smart enough to induce a list if he needed more....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrfxrs View Post
Would it be reasonable to do the Loop in a Selene 53?
Yes. Many might say it's not the preferred boat, but the main consideration is air draft. If over 19'1" you can't do it. If between 15' and 19' it limits the routes. All sorts and types of boats have done the loop. There are areas that you'd really have to watch depth, but no areas you shouldn't be able to get through safely. Also, under 60' there are very few places that marinas become a problem.

I've known people to do the loop in 70'+ Hatteras with a hinged arch. 57' Marlows. 50'+ Grand Banks. A 55' Fleming. And Selenes have done it. Typically choose any length boat and draft and all those with shorter boats and shallower drafts will say you can't do it. Depth wise, the ICW's are the biggest problem areas. While places like Captain John's and the loop groups are extremely good sources for information each individual also has their prejudices toward certain types of boats.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:42 AM   #26
Guru

Wait, I screwed up in a previous post. Our air draft with antennas down is 23ft. So if we bring the arch down we can loop if we want to. With the arch up I still thin Chicago is as far as we can go.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:43 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
How much more clearance do you need?

You could do like the guy I met near Jacksonville, Fl with the older, traditional look Bertram Motoryacht. He would just flood his bilges when he needed a little more...probably was smart enough to induce a list if he needed more....
I don't have the measurements for a Selene 53, but do for a Selene 54. With the mast down, it reduces that aspect of bridge clearance to 15'2". With the radar arch up clearance is 17'9" and with it down is 14'7". Selene is one of the few builders that does an excellent job of publishing this information. To do the loop you would have to have the mast lowered as sail boats do and then raise it again after Chicago.

There are many ways to work around close fits. One is hinging arches. Another is just making sure all tanks are full. Flooding bilges is one, although not one I like the idea of. Adding weight in other ways can help. Of maybe you'll find the water higher than the minimum.

As to draft, generally I read that it must be under 6' and shallower is preferable. Funny thing is I read it written by someone who has run aground twice on the loop with a 3'6" draft. So clearly a lot depends on avoiding shoals. Now you cannot do the Canadian Heritage Canals with over 5'.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:46 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Wait, I screwed up in a previous post. Our air draft with antennas down is 23ft. So if we bring the arch down we can loop if we want to. With the arch up I still thin Chicago is as far as we can go.
Is it your hard top increasing your air draft? Or electronics on your arch? I ask because I did find the specifications on a Selene 53 and your height certainly exceeds the norm.

http://www.selenecalifornia.com/imag...ELENE%2053.pdf

It does point out something though. Don't go by factory specifications on draft, water or air. Measure and know your own boat.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:46 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I don't have the measurements for a Selene 53, but do for a Selene 54. With the mast down, it reduces that aspect of bridge clearance to 15'2". With the radar arch up clearance is 17'9" and with it down is 14'7". Selene is one of the few builders that does an excellent job of publishing this information. To do the loop you would have to have the mast lowered as sail boats do and then raise it again after Chicago.
That doesn't account that you will invariably put a radar and other contraptions onto of the arch increasing your air-draft. I've not seen one selene without something onto of the arch.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:48 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Is it your hard top increasing your air draft? Or electronics on your arch? I ask because I did find the specifications on a Selene 53 and your height certainly exceeds the norm.

http://www.selenecalifornia.com/imag...ELENE%2053.pdf

It does point out something though. Don't go by factory specifications on draft, water or air. Measure and know your own boat.
haha, I was replying to this as you were writing it! yes its the electronics that increase the height. Everyone adds radar and other junk up there. We have sat-TV domes from a previous owner also besides two radar units.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:35 PM   #31
Guru

City: Trenton
RV bedding

http://www.myhomewithstyle.com
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:03 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
haha, I was replying to this as you were writing it! yes its the electronics that increase the height. Everyone adds radar and other junk up there. We have sat-TV domes from a previous owner also besides two radar units.
I don't know how difficult it is to take the Selene arch down. Ideally one would have a hinged arch. A lot easier to tilt one down than to remove and have to rewire all the equipment, although some boaters do that.

So, there are options and it is possible to take a Selene 53 through although not as simple as some boats. But sailboats go through that process of taking everything down all the time on the loop.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
So, there are options and it is possible to take a Selene 53 through although not as simple as some boats. But sailboats go through that process of taking everything down all the time on the loop.
Yea, we looked at the hinges on the arch, though of the weight involved, having to take down the canvas, and...well... turns out we don't want to go there that bad
Old 03-17-2015, 08:00 PM   #34
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:
We also have a Selene 53 in the East Coast. Congrats on the buy! They're great boats.

We found these sheets to fit very well: Sheex Boating Sheet Set With Pillowcases | SHEEX Official Store

$259 for a set of sheets?! Holy Sheet, Batman!
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:01 PM   #35
Guru

We found them at a West Marine once, we paid $99 bucks
Old 03-17-2015, 11:40 PM   #36
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Custom boat sheets. Now there's a first world problem.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:05 AM   #37
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
We use regular/flat sheets and blankets and just tuck them to fit. Feel spoiled compared to a form-fitting sleeping bag.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:59 AM   #38
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
If your air draft is above 19 feet than you cannot do the loop as there is a fixed bridge below Chicago which cannot be avoided.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
$259 for a set of sheets?! Holy Sheet, Batman!
Wifey B: But I want my naked body draped in luxury and comfort.....

Seriously, with the costs of the boat, if you found sheets that were extremely comfortable you're outraged at $259? We don't pay outrageous amounts except for the bed in our master bedroom at home and that's because the bed is 10' x 12'. But on others not cutting corners on mattresses or sheets as sleep is too important. Will not sleep on microfiber. Don't like being roasted and get way too hot. But at the other end, not into satin sheets, don't like to slide off the bed. And as to cotton, into quality but not the highest counts. Don't want it too heavy. Like it soft and light. Just barely feel it covering me and under me.

Sheets far more important to me than anchors....
Old 03-18-2015, 01:14 PM   #40
Guru

City: Trenton
This thread is worthless without pictures...

alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote