Old 04-27-2011, 08:23 AM   #21
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
RE: She swims!

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
Those drain holes can get so clogged you can't see them when they are full, sneaky little buggers! If they are stuffed, you may need a coat hanger at first, then blast them full force with your hose until you see them pissing out the stern.
*That's such an easy thing to check I'm tempted to run down to the marina at lunch time.

BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:49 AM   #22
FF
Guru

The tear the teak off , bond in core material and glass over is REQUIRED if the deck structure has rotted to the soft and bouncy point.

If the structure is sound enough to not frighten guests from sagging , most any "cure" will be fine for as long as you own the beauty.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #23
Curmudgeon

Quote:
BaltimoreLurker wrote:Old Stone wrote:
Those drain holes can get so clogged you can't see them when they are full, sneaky little buggers! If they are stuffed, you may need a coat hanger at first, then blast them full force with your hose until you see them pissing out the stern.
*That's such an easy thing to check I'm tempted to run down to the marina at lunch time.

Well, I'll be dipped in grits!* Yup, they're there.* Invisible under caked goo.* Is there a stronger word than "clogged"?**

Thanks for the tip!

Old 05-01-2011, 01:09 AM   #24
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

BL
Now that you have found the problem, check the method of fastening the lines to those tiny drain holes.
On mine, not only were the holes plugged, but the line attachments had fallen out. this situation had persisted for some time with no correction by the PO, as the bulkhead at the front of the lazarette (the headboard of the bed) had started to rot from frequent wet/dry cycles. That was the first serious fix I had to do when I bought this boat. Since then those holes and the attached lines are on the frequent inspection list.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:38 AM   #25
Curmudgeon

Quote:
koliver wrote:
BL
Now that you have found the problem, check the method of fastening the lines to those tiny drain holes.
On mine, not only were the holes plugged, but the line attachments had fallen out. this situation had persisted for some time with no correction by the PO, as the bulkhead at the front of the lazarette (the headboard of the bed) had started to rot from frequent wet/dry cycles. That was the first serious fix I had to do when I bought this boat. Since then those holes and the attached lines are on the frequent inspection list.
I got the port side cleared.* Man, those tiny pipes carry a lot of water!* I'm still messing with the starboard one.* I'm going to try to blow it out with an air compressor.* Getting at the fitting on the hull is going to be a real trick if I have to go the route of removing the plumbing for cleaning.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #26
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
Patience Balt - Try NOT to use a compressor. Just keep squirtin' the hose in there, and it will eventually free up. A compressor may blow the line, fitting, or clog it worse.
Hmmm.* OK, then I'm back to rigging up a fitting to attach to the hose.* I tried water, which worked on the port side.* But the starboard side isn't breaking loose with the water pressure I can get just by clamping the hose nozzle to the pipe with my hand.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #27
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
I believe you can get to detach the upper connection very easily. It's pretty obvious. Try unclamping the drain hose there (at the top) and then from the outside, blast the outlet in the stern with your hose if you can. Don't think that's exactly reverse osmosis, but then again, I don't get to use the word osmosis very often. If you can't reach the stern outlet easily, and IF the drain lines are flexible, undo the offender and sort of bend or twist the hose as far along its length as you can. That might break up the clogs. If it's copper, oviously, disregard.

Did you ever run a hose into the laz yet, just to see if she is draining into your main bilge? Be sure the drain hole at the bottom of the laz bulkhead is clean too. That will often clog with paint flakes, general dirt, etc.
There is a copper elbow below the hatch channel, then 4" of plastic hose, then copper all the way to the hull fitting. With a couple sharp turns on the way. Which is where I'm guessing the blockage is located.* The plastic hose comes right off and I've been working from that point.*

I didn't specifically check to see if the lazarette drained into the bilge, but it must.* There was enough water getting sprayed around in there that if it wasn't draining out I would have been ankle deep by the time I was done. But, I'll check anyhow!

'Ya know, I could just snip the the copper pipe a few inches from the thru-hull and replace the whole damn thing with flexible tubing. Any thoughts on, "why not?"

Old 05-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #28
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Exactly what I did. I used that clear, reinforced stuff, so it looks way cool compared to the opaque stuff it replaced.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:45 AM   #29
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

My drain hoses are about 1 1/4 to 1 3/8" ID. Sometimes I clear them w a shop vac. The deck drain hardware looks a bit like an old bathtub drain and they catch all kinds of crap. Can't pull it out very well w fingers so I use the shop vac. The hose has those circular reinforcing ridges so I'm not very worried about collapse. My drains are missing the top screen and that adds to the problem. But the shop vac works for me.
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:03 AM   #30
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
Go for it. Make life easy.
Easy, indeed.* Five minutes with a hacksaw, plastic hose and clamps.* After an hour of messing about with pipe cleaners, wrenches & water hoses.

Now I may even be motivated to clean out the crud in the lazerette.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #31
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Thanks Old Stone,

Now I see the picture/situation more clearly. It's hard to imagine anyone building a boat like that that could'nt foresee DIRT. In retrospect if one was to do it right and install deck drains outboard (I am assuming crowned decks) then the drain system should work fairly well (at least as well as mine). But the water falling on the hatch would still require the "capillaries" system. A proper hatch really should be raised. But Yachties would probably kill themselves tripping over them. My Willard has no hatch aft. Access to the Lazarette is from below. And not originally part of the boat my Willard has scuppers as seen in the photographs in addition to the sizable deck drains. Willy shines on this issue but has other features as dumb as the "capillary" drains. Chris is working on a scupper in the first picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sth71247.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	5921   Click image for larger version

Name:	sth71259.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	5922  

Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote