She has a pretty behind...(considering enclosed smimplatform)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This thread may have satisfied my itch. Bolting on an aluminum monstrosity is not what I want to do, nor is spending a bunch of money on engineering a fiberglass extension. As stated in a prior post, many of these extensions get done without cutting into the hull and I haven't heard of a failure. That said, I don't want to be the first either. I am switching my focus to how to tow an 18' aluminum runabout behind me. There is a thread on that somewhere. Over and out.

Akdadio,* In the March 2011 issue of yachting is a one page article about how to tow a bigger tender.

It seems to be gaining popularity, and has multiple benefits.* The article ended with one serious caution, if things go bad you must be prepared to ditch the tender if conditions require drastic measures.

I do think for the way a lot*of us cruise it makes sense to have the utility of a bigger tender.

JohnP

When*I was looking for a picture of the engine room I found one of the Eagle stern deck that I remodel.* Original was only a*seat under the window.* Our daughter and two grandchildren lived*with us for two years so added a counter top with sink, refrigerator and freezer.* The area has a solid roof, canvas enclose with a heater so it became another area.* Picture of the enclosed stern deck.

I am still designing a tow bar package like the front of a trailer to tow the 19 run about*up close behind the Eagle and/or be able to let it out.**The commercial trawler tow the tenders*tied/bolted to the stern.****Picture of the run about, 1970 Chrysler.**If it was an aluminum boat I would have the shop weld a hitch to the front of it and put a trailer received on the stern of the*Eagle.********

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Monday 4th of April 2011 02:37:40 PM

Attachments

• run about.jpg
    run about.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 122
  • back deck test small.jpg
    back deck test small.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 128
i have the classic taiwanese trawler stern with teak swim platform.** it is a tri-cabin which means i have no real fishing deck.* a hull extension (where i add a small fishing cockpit) would be a major project; however, adding an over-sized "enclosed" swimplatform made from fiberglass would be manageable.** i have seen photos of the 45' bayliners getting these to improve bouyancy.* my objective isn't bouyancy its getting some extra deck space.*** i could either build a "box" and bolt it on, or glass the thing in place.** then, put railing around it to make it safe.* it would facilitate boating the 100lb flatfish and pulling the shrimp pots.* ideas anyone?* anyone have some good tips/photos of such a project?** my plan is to leave the running gear in place and only come back about 3' or so, keep some of it up out of the water so i don't make the boat more difficult to turn.* ideas?** pic of her behind:

image-2325059837.jpg

That's a sweetheart of a platform, functional, attractive. How does it do in a following sea?

That's a sweetheart of a platform, functional, attractive. How does it do in a following sea?
It works really nice, it's not that wide. Top speed +0,5 knots and much less wake, also mounted a rear thruster so now more confident I small places :)

I love the idea of the extension with the thruster built in, but if I followed the curve of my stern, and extension like that would probably leave the thruster (and most of the extension) out of the water. Sure is perfect for yours though.

I've been agonizing over what kind of platform to add to our boat. The truth is, if we would have had a really substantial platform early-on, it would have greatly facilitated the way we used the boat in Miami,.....most likely doubling or tripling the usage of the boat. Now that we're here on the Gulf side, I dunno...maybe I'll do something else. We're only a hundred yards from the beach here, and doing the swimming outings will probably be just going to the beach.

Here, I've PhotoShopped a Great Harbour style swim platform on the transom. This would require modifying the original tailgate (which tilts down just like a drawbridge) by hinging and splitting the tailgate in two so it can move inward. The ladder might be a bit of overkill, but I want something big and comfortable to climb up with diving equipment.

Attachments

• great harbor style, tailgate split.jpg
    great harbor style, tailgate split.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Mine came with an extended grid. I did not realize it at the time I bought it but later noticed the angle braces beneath the grid had been extended to give a 30" deck instead of a 12" one. a davit is currently mounted there which holds my 10' zodiac but lose that and it is a usable area for lots of stuff - while anchored or moored. my dingy outboard holder is out there too and easy to manage with enuf area to maneuver the 5hp. While mine does not affect the boats performance your idea with the blue hull above surely would.

I saw some fairly universal looking fiberglass grids at a store in La Conner Wa. and they also custom build. Dont know where you are but this would be a much simpler option than rebuilding the entire stern of your boat. just one guys opinion...

This has to be one of the nicest stern extensions I've seen. The boat is a Schucker motorsailer.

Straight on till.jpg

Ted

Schucks, that's one of the best I've seen yet. Love those Schuckers. Check out how far the trim line extends forward along the side. I wonder if they did any rudder extension. With leverage aft of the rudder, wouldn't that cut down on the turn radius also? Very interesting example.

If they changed the bottom as they did the exposed chines they'd have a semi-planing hull.

I'd like to see some of the opposite ... SD into FD.

Although its still just a drawing , I like the concept of the transom dropping down at aft deck level to provide the swim platform.

Would ease boarding at a stern tie , or a med moore.

IF done just right the transom could be lowered a bit more and a condom boat simply driven aboard (shades of the UDT)

A 15 -25 HP dink engine would make an almost hull speed get home emergency power plant.

If rotated 90 deg a 25 HP stern thruster should be big fun.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom