Old 03-31-2011, 08:02 PM   #21

RE: She has a pretty behind...(considering enclosed smimplatform)

Quote:
Carey wrote:I beg to differ, but what you show in the photo on your most recent post (dated 2 hrs, 22 mins. ago), IS A HULL EXTENSION....
*_________________________________________________

I attached the photo so folks would understand what "I meant" by enclosed swim-platform.**** Enclosed meaning instead of a platform it becomes a lazarette or fish-hold.* The two most recent projects I've seen had the "box" about an inch narrower on each side than the beam at the stern, possibly to make it easier to feather in the addition to the original paint or gel-coat.** The photo i show is something I grabbed off the internet but it is the same idea.** Some yards report that they lay-up the addition to the hull, others build a stand-alone box and glue/bolt it on.

On the other hand, when I think of a "Hull extension or hull stretch" I think of maintaining the gunnel / cap-rail height along the length of the addition (but, who knows what others are thinking).* I am not wanting to take on a project of that magnitude. **

If there is a standardized name for what I show in the photo I am unaware but willing to be enlightened.*

AKdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:24 PM   #22
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
She has a pretty behind...(considering enclosed smimplatform)

Quote:
AKdadio wrote:Carey wrote:I beg to differ, but what you show in the photo on your most recent post (dated 2 hrs, 22 mins. ago), IS A HULL EXTENSION....
*_________________________________________________

I attached the photo so folks would understand what "I meant" by enclosed swim-platform.**** Enclosed meaning instead of a platform it becomes a lazarette or fish-hold.* The two most recent projects I've seen had the "box" about an inch narrower on each side than the beam at the stern, possibly to make it easier to feather in the addition to the original paint or gel-coat.** The photo i show is something I grabbed off the internet but it is the same idea.** Some yards report that they lay-up the addition to the hull, others build a stand-alone box and glue/bolt it on.

On the other hand, when I think of a "Hull extension or hull stretch" I think of maintaining the gunnel / cap-rail height along the length of the addition (but, who knows what others are thinking).* I am not wanting to take on a project of that magnitude. **

If there is a standardized name for what I show in the photo I am unaware but willing to be enlightened.*

** * * What you show in the photo extends the hull surface, and therefore will be supporting all the stresses of a hull, so therefore would be referred to as a hull extension. Just because you don't attach bulwarks above this hull extension doesn't change the fact that it bears all the stresses of a hull, or change the name. And I have to argue that adding bulwarks to this appendage would not make it a dramatically more complicated or expensive project, and would in fact lend a lot of support to the stresses it would endure.

To me, what you refer to as an enclosed swim platform would be a swim platform with bulwarks above.*

-- Edited by Carey on Thursday 31st of March 2011 08:28:55 PM

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:41 PM   #23

Carey, great explanation. The bulwarks do add structural integrity- that is easy to see. I'm thinking it would require a great deal of skill to have the finish look factory on the outside and on the inside of the cockpit...plus matching the cap-rail. my thoughts.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:21 PM   #24
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
Mike wrote:
It doesn't take a great deal of skill to match the finish. It's just hard and slow work.

Pay attention to the most important part of RickBs post -

Girder strength.

Think about how you will maintain that aft of your existing transom.

Mike
Merritt Island, Fl.

That's it. Mike and RickB are right on the money. I guess my choice would be to cut through the existing transom, allowing a 4' overlap of new and existing stringers, both bolted and glassed. And, with the addition of a heavy bulwark on the hull sides as well as new transom, would make a good structure. All of that could work well if engineered to assure the "hull extensions" ability to handle the stresses.*

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:42 AM   #25
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy

Akdadio,* You could take the easy way out and do the following.

1) Remove existing swimplatform and save for reattachment at sale time.

2) Make a large hinged swimplatform that folds up against the transom and drops like a pickup tailgate when needed.

3) Or put a hinged section on top of your original platform, that flops down doubling the size of the platform and sits on slide outs like a dropleaf table.

These suggestions elminate*problems in rough seas, and are less drastic to install.

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:00 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
JohnP wrote:
Akdadio,* You could take the easy way out and do the following.

1) Remove existing swimplatform and save for reattachment at sale time.

2) Make a large hinged swimplatform that folds up against the transom and drops like a pickup tailgate when needed.

3) Or put a hinged section on top of your original platform, that flops down doubling the size of the platform and sits on slide outs like a dropleaf table.

These suggestions elminate*problems in rough seas, and are less drastic to install.

JohnP
*Those are actually good ideas IMHO.*I have seen regular sized hinged platforms on boats around here*(LI Sound). Might be a nice compromize in this case.*

jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #27
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

AK, do you use down riggers?* What kind of fishing do you do?* We mostly use down riggers and 95% of the time is dragging around dead herring/lure. So every once in a while we will look to see if we have a fish? *So why do you need a bigger stern deck and or swim deck?
When we go fishing/crabbing, we use the 19 ft run about with the 140 hp Merc that does about 35+ MPH which has down driggers.* Get out there, do some fishing and get back in 4 hours max.* *Shoot if we took the big old trawler it would take all day. When we do take the big old trawler we still tow the run about and carry the dinks/kayaks.* The Eagle is sort of the mother ship to carry tow all the water toys and people.*
For the cost of new/bigger swim deck you could buy a nice dink.* Just a thought?*******
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #28

Phil/Fill, the Q of why do I need a bigger deck is the one I always ask myself. Answer: I don't........90% of the time.

We don't fish much and when we do we work it out (Y to downriggers for salmon). Pulling in shrimp pots is a little more painful with limited deck space. In the end, a bigger dink might be the answer when on longer trips. A bigger dink to be seaworthy and able to pull pots means it's too big to be on deck so it would be towed...I would have to deal with it once in port, the penalty I suppose.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:57 AM   #29
FF
Guru

Extending the hull is not hard ,(just a bunch of work) but why?

What you seem to desire is a simple work area , a longer deck area or pit to work , but not a longer boat.

So build a bolt on , welded aluminum would not drag her down by the stern , and hip boots.could keep your tootsies dry.

No worries about a visiting B. Whaler chewing it up at cocktail time. A swinging stern gate would be welcoming.

No hydromatic questions , no boarding wave problem

At sales time a dozen transom bolt holes with teak plugs would not be that hard to sell.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Carey wrote:Mike wrote:
It doesn't take a great deal of skill to match the finish. It's just hard and slow work.

Pay attention to the most important part of RickBs post -

Girder strength.

Think about how you will maintain that aft of your existing transom.

Mike
Merritt Island, Fl.

*Yes.... slow work, I have hundreds of hours on a sander doing glass work,* without a mold it's a big job to look factory....

Girder Strength... were the taiwanes trawlers engineered in the first place?* Ha ha.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #31

This thread may have satisfied my itch. Bolting on an aluminum monstrosity is not what I want to do, nor is spending a bunch of money on engineering a fiberglass extension. As stated in a prior post, many of these extensions get done without cutting into the hull and I haven't heard of a failure. That said, I don't want to be the first either. I am switching my focus to how to tow an 18' aluminum runabout behind me. There is a thread on that somewhere. Over and out.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #32
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy

Akdadio,* In the March 2011 issue of yachting is a one page article about how to tow a bigger tender.

It seems to be gaining popularity, and has multiple benefits.* The article ended with one serious caution, if things go bad you must be prepared to ditch the tender if conditions require drastic measures.

I do think for the way a lot*of us cruise it makes sense to have the utility of a bigger tender.

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #33
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
She has a pretty behind...(considering enclosed smimplatform)

When*I was looking for a picture of the engine room I found one of the Eagle stern deck that I remodel.* Original was only a*seat under the window.* Our daughter and two grandchildren lived*with us for two years so added a counter top with sink, refrigerator and freezer.* The area has a solid roof, canvas enclose with a heater so it became another area.* Picture of the enclosed stern deck.

I am still designing a tow bar package like the front of a trailer to tow the 19 run about*up close behind the Eagle and/or be able to let it out.**The commercial trawler tow the tenders*tied/bolted to the stern.****Picture of the run about, 1970 Chrysler.**If it was an aluminum boat I would have the shop weld a hitch to the front of it and put a trailer received on the stern of the*Eagle.********

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Monday 4th of April 2011 02:37:40 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	run about.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	5590   Click image for larger version

Name:	back deck test small.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	5591  
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #34

City: Onsala
Vessel Name: Taurus
Vessel Model: MT 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by akdadio View Post
i have the classic taiwanese trawler stern with teak swim platform.** it is a tri-cabin which means i have no real fishing deck.* a hull extension (where i add a small fishing cockpit) would be a major project; however, adding an over-sized "enclosed" swimplatform made from fiberglass would be manageable.** i have seen photos of the 45' bayliners getting these to improve bouyancy.* my objective isn't bouyancy its getting some extra deck space.*** i could either build a "box" and bolt it on, or glass the thing in place.** then, put railing around it to make it safe.* it would facilitate boating the 100lb flatfish and pulling the shrimp pots.* ideas anyone?* anyone have some good tips/photos of such a project?** my plan is to leave the running gear in place and only come back about 3' or so, keep some of it up out of the water so i don't make the boat more difficult to turn.* ideas?** pic of her behind:

Name:	image-2325059837.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	23018
robertgerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #35

Name:	image-91024045.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	23019 Pics of My new homemade platfom 😎
Old 09-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #36
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
That's a sweetheart of a platform, functional, attractive. How does it do in a following sea?
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:50 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
That's a sweetheart of a platform, functional, attractive. How does it do in a following sea?
It works really nice, it's not that wide. Top speed +0,5 knots and much less wake, also mounted a rear thruster so now more confident I small places :-)
Old 09-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #38
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I love the idea of the extension with the thruster built in, but if I followed the curve of my stern, and extension like that would probably leave the thruster (and most of the extension) out of the water. Sure is perfect for yours though.

I've been agonizing over what kind of platform to add to our boat. The truth is, if we would have had a really substantial platform early-on, it would have greatly facilitated the way we used the boat in Miami,.....most likely doubling or tripling the usage of the boat. Now that we're here on the Gulf side, I dunno...maybe I'll do something else. We're only a hundred yards from the beach here, and doing the swimming outings will probably be just going to the beach.

Here, I've PhotoShopped a Great Harbour style swim platform on the transom. This would require modifying the original tailgate (which tilts down just like a drawbridge) by hinging and splitting the tailgate in two so it can move inward. The ladder might be a bit of overkill, but I want something big and comfortable to climb up with diving equipment.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	great harbor style, tailgate split.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	23057  
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #39

City: Abbotsford
Vessel Name: Lucky Penny
Vessel Model: 38' C & L Puget Trawler
Mine came with an extended grid. I did not realize it at the time I bought it but later noticed the angle braces beneath the grid had been extended to give a 30" deck instead of a 12" one. a davit is currently mounted there which holds my 10' zodiac but lose that and it is a usable area for lots of stuff - while anchored or moored. my dingy outboard holder is out there too and easy to manage with enuf area to maneuver the 5hp. While mine does not affect the boats performance your idea with the blue hull above surely would.
Tangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #40

City: Abbotsford
Vessel Name: Lucky Penny
Vessel Model: 38' C & L Puget Trawler
I saw some fairly universal looking fiberglass grids at a store in La Conner Wa. and they also custom build. Dont know where you are but this would be a much simpler option than rebuilding the entire stern of your boat. just one guys opinion...

Tangler is offline   Reply With Quote