Old 12-04-2019, 06:29 PM   #41
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Dan, if you had watched the Sharrow propeller video, you would see that one of the many advantages is it has less vibration...
One can eliminate the vibration long before he has props ready for a trawler.
Plus, if there is a mechanical reason for the vibration, better to find out now before it does additional damage to the running gear.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:58 PM   #42
Guru

I think right now he is aiming at the outboard market.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:28 PM   #43

City: Dayton, OH
I wonder how he is building those. That would be a tricky thing to produce.
Repairs may be almost impossible once it's damaged. Those loops smoothly change in pitch.. A curvy blade is one thing, these curving arches have me stymied for a theory of "How'd he do dat??"
I imagine he's using aluminum over stainless because stainless is very hard to work compared to softer aluminum.

This is an exciting advancement if it works as reported.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:42 PM   #44

City: Scappoose, OR
Vessel Name: Double-Wide
Vessel Model: 49ft Custom Power Catamaran
They cast the basic form and then use a multi-axis milling system to complete it.
wfleenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:49 PM   #45
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Don’t see it being repaired the usual way.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:33 PM   #46

City: PNW
Vessel Name: Mighty Fine
Vessel Model: Kingfisher 3125GFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
If all you fellas want to fund a couple of these Sharrow props for me, I'd be happy to try them out on my outboards and report back. I promise to be unbiased.
Haloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:04 AM   #47
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Hard to tell. Here is the Sharrow Website where Custom Inboards, Commercial and Military are already available. Recreational is coming soon. Looks like they are starting big (custom) and working their way down in size. I just signed up for the Recreational updates. Might be interesting to try on my sportie. I'll likely need a gofundme to do it though
Attached Thumbnails
Sharrow.JPG  
Old 12-05-2019, 05:40 AM   #48
FF
Guru

15% better is the usual claim for counter rotating props , and even std shaped props with a ring around them.

Price and ability to repair may count for more to rec. boaters.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:14 AM   #49
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
How often [i.e.how many times] have you actually needed to replace your prop(s)?

Props on my boats are currently in fine condition. Props on boats I've owned since the mid 1960's to early 70's have always been kept in darn good condition.

Only time I recall changing props [due to needing to] was way back in my mid teens through early-20's; on smaller boats I had, when I was not nearly careful enough about prop collisions with bottoming as well as avoiding flotsam.

So... although I am very interested in this new prop design... I will continue eating popcorn for quite a while watching the Sharrow prop market evolve.

It appears to me the biggest and immediate [pleasure boat] market for Sharrow [pretzel like design] props will be as added cost feature opportunities on new boats. Pleasure boaters who do 1000 hours [that's 125 8hr. travel days] or more cruising per year may want them for fuel savings... if they save as much as is being predicted. Working boat market may be similar in their new boat arena... yet somewhat different for also changing props on existing boats; as long as cost-savings work out over the long run.

Hoping to see more tests and stats provided on these "new fangled", screw-propulsion Sharrow prop units that will each attach to the end of power shafts... just like the old props have always done!

I love new and better designs for all items. Wishing Sharrow the best luck!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:13 AM   #50
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I love new and better designs for all items. Wishing Sharrow the best luck!
I'm with Art & others on this one.....I've tried many new component designs on my boats over the years but I will wait until the dust settles on this one. (Pass the popcorn, Art!)
Old 12-05-2019, 09:20 AM   #51
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I'm with Art & others on this one.....I've tried many new component designs on my boats over the years but I will wait until the dust settles on this one. (Pass the popcorn, Art!)

Need plenty... could be a long movie!

I joined in the update sector of their website. Will be great if this new design really grows legs by providing robust prop-design improvements. They just might have something here!
Old 12-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #52
Guru

I figure I will be dead and buried before the prop hits the Rec market. Then, as we all know, different boats need different props etc.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:19 AM   #53
Art
Guru

Quote:

Did Noah have a get home-engine?
If he did - bet it did't have a Sharrow prop!
Old 12-05-2019, 11:50 AM   #54
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
This statement has me curious:

"The SHARROW PROPELLER™ generates more thrust and uses less energy for a given RPM than a standard propeller design"

The same can be achieved by increasing pitch, however that also translates to increased load.

How does one achieve an increase in thrust (forward movement) with the same or lower RPM and NOT increase load in the process?

I could literally make the same claim by increasing the prop pitch until it was over-propped. I see no mention of impact to Max RPM at WOT.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:00 PM   #55
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
A prop isn't 100% efficient. Some energy is wasted throwing vortices off the blade tips, some is wasted as skin drag, etc. So if you can reduce the drag of moving the prop blades through the water and reduce tip vortices, you need less energy to produce a given amount of thrust.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:04 PM   #56
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
This statement has me curious:

"The SHARROW PROPELLER™ generates more thrust and uses less energy for a given RPM than a standard propeller design"

The same can be achieved by increasing pitch, however that also translates to increased load.

How does one achieve an increase in thrust (forward movement) with the same or lower RPM and NOT increase load in the process?

I could literally make the same claim by increasing the prop pitch until it was over-propped. I see no mention of impact to Max RPM at WOT.
Rslifkin just beat me to the reply

I think the answer is ultimately less slippage and lower drag. More of the power from the engine in translated into thrust because the design is more efficient. RPM and load remain the same, but thrust increases, and boat speed goes up. Or, boat speed remains the same as before, but RPM and load are reduced. At least theoretically.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:34 PM   #57
Art
Guru

I think Sharrow prop design holds merit. I'm not clear on just how much merit... hopefully a lot!
Old 12-05-2019, 12:41 PM   #58
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
The design's merits might have more impact on me had they just left out that first prop as a comparison. Comparison between a tanks and a sport car comes to mind....
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:49 PM   #59
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
Rslifkin just beat me to the reply

I think the answer is ultimately less slippage and lower drag. More of the power from the engine in translated into thrust because the design is more efficient. RPM and load remain the same, but thrust increases, and boat speed goes up. Or, boat speed remains the same as before, but RPM and load are reduced. At least theoretically.
Pretty close. It's actually power efficiency at the root of this chase. IE; power out / power in. Power in can be expressed at RPM x Torque. Power out can be expressed as thrust. Its the losses in the prop to be minimized. For instance, the water flow that is radial, and not axial. And, these bubbles that had been presented as cavitation losses. Boiling water with low pressure areas (excessive blade loading) is not essential for thrust! And, lastly, water heating is not appreciated here (blade friction). These are few that come to mind.

ps: thrust is not a good measure of work, actually, force is not a measure of power or work at all. You need to consider a force over a unit of distance. But, I propose it is a valid unit of measure to describe efficiency, and fairly easy to measure in real world, using a shaft mounted strain gauge.

pps: the tugboat bollard test comes to mind. Engine at WOT, lots of torque and thrust. But, zero speed and 100% slip for 0% "efficiency". So, speed needs to come into the equations at some point.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:19 PM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
If he did - bet it did't have a Sharrow prop!
Maybe, remember, 'everything old is new again.'

Tags
cavitation, propeller, sharrow