Shanty thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Dad had this album, Burl Ives' "Down to the Sea in Ships" when I was a kid lots of great ones here my favorites, Santy Anna and Drunken Sailor

A1 Jack Was Every Inch A Sailor
A2 Santy Anna
A3 The Eddystone Light
A4 Haul Away, Joe
A5 You New York Girls
A6 The Sailor's Grave
A7 Leave Her Johnny, Leave Her
A8 Away Rio
A9 Ben Backstay
B1 Wrap Me Up In My Tarpaulin Jacket
B2 Blow Ye Winds!
B3 Go Down You Red Red Roses
B4 Hullabaloo Belay
B5 Stormalong
B6 The Drunken Sailor
B7 Highland Laddie
B8 The Golden Vanity
B9 Rolling Home

Attachments

• down to the sea in ships.JPG
    down to the sea in ships.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 480
One of my favorites is Leave Her Johnny Leave Her. Sad song.

Not a shanty of course but I love Billy Joel's Downeaster Alexa.

YouTube

Sad one too.

What is the name of the chantey they sing in the "inn" scene in the movie "Moby Dick?"

The last time I heard a sea shanty it was on the Adventuress on an evening cruise. Now all I can associate is smelly sailing folk who refuse to shower, even in a good port. No thanks. It's been ruined for me.

Last time I heard a shanty sung for real, to synchronize sailing work was on the Heritage (schooner) in Penobscot Bay two years ago. They only sang Haul Away Joe though, no others. Needed to expand the repertoire.

Singing Barnacle Bill the Sailor doesn't count I suppose, because then that was last summer on a charter on the San Juans. Now that was fun.

My nephew discharged from the Navy last summer after 6 years. He served with a fun loving bunch who sang shanty's not repeatable in mixed company. Not sure they coordinated any work though they certainly helped pass the time humorously.

Back
Top Bottom