Old 04-12-2019, 05:07 PM   #41

City: Rossport
Vessel Name: Iron Lady
Vessel Model: Vinette Trawler
Every spring I line up my 2 grinders with a myriad of grinding and sanding disks. When I look at the job ahead I'm always faced with a sense of dread. We have a 1964 steel hull Vinette trawler and it has given us endless pleasure travelling the great lakes. 15,000 miles in 12 years! I ask the same question as yourself every year. The answer has always alluded me. If you ask me the same question on May 1st as I don my mask or on August 1st bobbing in a pristine bay on the north shore I'll always give you 2 different answers.
Doc Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:34 PM   #42

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: This space available
Vessel Model: Currently boatless
I've been window shopping quite a bit for the last 6 months as I've almost got my house ready to rent. I deleted my facebook account about 6 months ago and can't see your pics. Any chance you could post some pictures here or somewhere else?
whirrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:11 AM   #43
Veteran Member

City: Chicago
My experience selling and buying boats.
Clean boats sell. Make sure the inside is clean and free of clutter. Pay someone to at least wash the boat. Make sure it smells good inside. Stage the inside to be inviting.
Bigal6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:10 AM   #44
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
Am I better off taking a year or so to fix everything myself or sell her in the state she's in?
I'd say in your case there probably is a decent market for either path. That's not true for many neglected boats. I'd say for most people an as-is sale would be the better course of action.

How will you try to sell the boat? Is the money important to you? What's your time worth? Do you really want to fix up your boat for the next owner?

Whatever you do, get on with it! <grin>
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:29 AM   #45

City: Vancouver Rowing Club, Coal Harbour, Vancouver, B.C.
Vessel Name: Summer Wind 1
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 41
I remember your webpage when you first got your boat. I allways enjoyed reading your posts. Then you kind of disappeared. To bad you lost interest.

I second most of what has been written here. Make it super clean and mabey do the bright work. Good luck.
grahamdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:02 AM   #46

City: Aposentillo
Cut the lines...

It sounds as if the time is past for your former love, reduced to a blight of neglect in her slip. The love is gone, the honeymoon over... time to pass her along.
I reach a point of ownership be it boat, car, house or any other tangible, that I simply don't want it anymore. Remember, there is an ass for every seat out there and you'll find one for your gb42
Clean her out, air her out, pay the kid down the way to detail her and price her right, she'll go. The longer you delay the smaller the window in your neck of the woods. Good photos, honest verbage amd a realistic price should get things moving. Good luck to you.
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:15 AM   #47

City: Berkeley, CA
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Kha Shing Sundeck 40
The biggest question is what do you enjoy doing? A guy down our dock enjoys working on his very broken down boat in hopes of selling it. But mostly he likes coming down to the marina and hanging out

If you need the money put in the time. If you need the time, sell. And balance all that with what you like doing.
Andiamo2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:14 AM   #48
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andiamo2018 View Post
The biggest question is what do you enjoy doing? A guy down our dock enjoys working on his very broken down boat in hopes of selling it. But mostly he likes coming down to the marina and hanging out

If you need the money put in the time. If you need the time, sell. And balance all that with what you like doing.
Wifey B: Not just with old boats, but we've always noticed a lot of people who just love the marina atmosphere. Even on the lake, some of them were almost like fixtures at the marinas.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote