Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-31-2014, 10:43 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
City: Portage
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Temporary between boats
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Most of the time going to Bermuda you will encounter 4-6' at least part of the trip so your discomfort tolerance is relevant.

Yes, and the worst conditions are usually during the first five miles after leaving the Government Cut. It gets more gentle once you are in a deep water.
The tolerance to discomfort was the reason I asked my question earlier today. If the answer was "the trip was exhaustive, we were falling off the feet by the end of each day," that would probably suggest that a multi-day voyage is out of question even for a tough sailor.
As far as I can see it, fuel range is the major factor against ST44. Other factors affecting offshore use are small rudders and large windows/patio doors.
If I bought this boat, I would mostly use it in Florida Keys/the Bahamas and for the trips to New England for a summer. I would take some discomfort during a passage due to the hull form over more comfort at anchor, for most of the time I'll be anchored. The way Nordhavns and other full displacement trawlers roll at anchor takes them off my list. That and the draught over 5 feet.
__________________
Advertisement

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:47 PM   #42
Guru
 
Insequent's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
Drag Queen works fine on our Ipad.....
Thanks for that, I have it installed on the iPad now.
__________________

__________________
Brian
Insequent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:51 PM   #43
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
The way Nordhavns and other full displacement trawlers roll at anchor takes them off my list. That and the draught over 5 feet.
The roll- Have you been on a Nordhavn at anchor, or are we talking about armchair guestimates? We have never rolled enough to notice at anchor, although we haven't anchored in a bad surge, we have anchored in not "optimal" conditions and never rolled a bit. If that's a deal breaker get flopper stoppers, they're not that much $$, we have thought about getting them but never had a bad experience at anchor. As to draft yes the keys could get spotty with a draught over 5ft, but you're fine in the Bahamas.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:59 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
City: Portage
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Temporary between boats
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
The roll- Have you been on a Nordhavn at anchor, or are we talking about armchair guestimates? We have never rolled enough to notice at anchor, although we haven't anchored in a bad surge, we have anchored in not "optimal" conditions and never rolled a bit. If that's a deal breaker get flopper stoppers, they're not that much $$, we have thought about getting them but never had a bad experience at anchor. As to draft yes the keys could get spotty with a draught over 5ft, but you're fine in the Bahamas.
I was anchored next to one for a few days in the Dry Tortugas harbor (not the best protection). The N47 was rolling at noticeably higher rate than my 34" sailboat. A Great Banks anchored next to us wasn't rolling at all.

Draught wise, I have sailed that area for a long time in a 4'6" boat and felt that I can do 5', but would rather have something with 4'.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:00 PM   #45
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
The way Nordhavns and other full displacement trawlers roll at anchor takes them off my list. That and the draught over 5 feet.
I don't know where that comment is coming from. Understand I like semi-displacement so don't have the prejudice a Nordhavn owner might. However, a comparable sized Nordhavn isn't going to roll any more than a ST 44. It's got more weight, more ballast, and a lower center of gravity. Put either in the wrong situation without stabilizers or paravanes and they will roll. Both, however, will do fine in most anchoring situations.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:00 PM   #46
Guru
 
dhmeissner's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Country: North America
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
Hi All! We just completed an amazing 15 day coastal trip from San Francisco to Catalina on our Beneteau Swift Trawler 44, The Emily B. We made stops in Monterey, Morro Bay, Santa Barbara, Marina Del Rey and on to Catalina.
Thanks for posting about your trip, sounds like you had a fantastic time! Well done.
__________________
Dave & Suzie - Roughwater 35
http://thepromiserwb1029.org/2012/09...the-promise-2/
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:04 PM   #47
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post

Draught wise, I have sailed that area for a long time in a 4'6" boat and felt that I can do 5', but would rather have something with 4'.
There are tradeoffs but we have made 7 trips to the Bahamas in the past two years and haven't had under a 5' draft for any of them. We've had no problems.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:08 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
City: Portage
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Temporary between boats
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
There are tradeoffs but we have made 7 trips to the Bahamas in the past two years and haven't had under a 5' draft for any of them. We've had no problems.
There are areas around Abacos that are questionable with 4'6".
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:13 PM   #49
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
There are areas around Abacos that are questionable with 4'6".

Where? We've done the abaco's three times so far and also have not had a problem with our 5'10 draft (We call it 6').
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:16 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
City: Portage
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Temporary between boats
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
a comparable sized Nordhavn isn't going to roll any more than a ST 44
That is exactly what I am trying to establish.
What spooked me about the Nordhavns, was the video of the group crossing the Atlantic when one of them started leaking the fluid from the stabilizers. The crew elected to stop and fix it rather than to continue to Bermuda.
At least in theory, flatter bottomed boats should roll less than round bottom boats. Kind of a shoe box vs. a bottle.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:19 PM   #51
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
SF to LA in our Beneteau Swift Trawler 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
That is exactly what I am trying to establish.
What spooked me about the Nordhavns, was the video of the group crossing the Atlantic when one of them started leaking the fluid from the stabilizers. The crew elected to stop and fix it rather than to continue to Bermuda.
At least in theory, flatter bottomed boats should roll less than round bottom boats. Kind of a shoe box vs. a bottle.

Yes that trip they also fixed all the bugs of the still "New to the seen" stabilizers, they now very rarely break down. You take care of them, they'll take care of you.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:20 PM   #52
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
There are areas around Abacos that are questionable with 4'6".
There are areas questionable with 3' or 2' but one can also navigate the Bahamas well with greater draft. You've decided that your choice is all right and others are all wrong so that's fine. Hope you enjoy it. Glad you feel so strongly. But every boat has a tradeoff and the rest of us have opinions that may differ from yours.

If I was going to do the Great Loop, I'd choose a Swift Trawler over a Nordhavn. If I was going to go back and forth to the Bahamas or cruise the Caribbean or go to Bermuda I'd choose the Nordhavn. Many of our trips home from the Bahamas the Gulf Stream has been 4-6' and even 6-8' and some of the times it has increased an unforecast 2-3' in 8 hours. Now my personal preference isn't either but that doesn't mean I don't think they are both fine for certain purposes. Then I don't think many here would choose what we would.

My only criticism of a Nordhavn is we don't like to go slow...lol
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:21 PM   #53
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
I was anchored next to one for a few days in the Dry Tortugas harbor (not the best protection). The N47 was rolling at noticeably higher rate than my 34" sailboat. A Great Banks anchored next to us wasn't rolling at all.

Draught wise, I have sailed that area for a long time in a 4'6" boat and felt that I can do 5', but would rather have something with 4'.

BTW, was the boat named Moonrise?
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:23 PM   #54
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
SF to LA in our Beneteau Swift Trawler 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
My only criticism of a Nordhavn is we don't like to go slow...lol


I know, coming from a sport fish background it took some getting used too.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:23 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
City: Portage
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Temporary between boats
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Where? We've done the abaco's three times so far and also have not had a problem with our 5'10 draft (We call it 6').
Needed to refer to the Dodge guide, for I did not remember specifics. One area, for example is a Lubber's Quarters Channels. Entrance to Little Harbor is 3'6". Can go in with the tide, but I would hesitate to do it in anything with 5' and over.

Also, anchoring near Bimini presents more options with a shallow draft.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:30 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
City: Portage
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Temporary between boats
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
BTW, was the boat named Moonrise?
No.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0820.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	32551  
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:31 PM   #57
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
SF to LA in our Beneteau Swift Trawler 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
No.

Oh no wonder that's 46'. Looks like his snubber setup might of had something to do with his rolling.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:35 PM   #58
Senior Member
 
City: Portage
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Temporary between boats
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 105
Yeah, I can see now. It was in 2010, looks like my memory needs an upgrade.
I think, at first they did not deploy the flopper stoppers, but had to do it when the wind picked up. I was surprised at that time that such a heavy vessel rolls so violently.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:44 PM   #59
Senior Member
 
City: Portage
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Temporary between boats
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
There are areas questionable with 3' or 2' but one can also navigate the Bahamas well with greater draft. You've decided that your choice is all right and others are all wrong so that's fine. Hope you enjoy it. Glad you feel so strongly. But every boat has a tradeoff and the rest of us have opinions that may differ from yours.
I don't see how a certain specification that I have in mind for my future boat and its intended use makes others wrong.

I felt very comfortable crossing the Gulf Stream in my boat, but any boat can suffer there. The fact that you have to return to work on Monday has much more to do with it than the design of the boat in that respect.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:52 PM   #60
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Yes that trip they also fixed all the bugs of the still "New to the seen" stabilizers, they now very rarely break down. You take care of them, they'll take care of you.
Ten years ago Nordhavn didn't know diddly about stabilizers. That was a problem with many during the Atlantic crossing and should have been quite embarrassing to them. Now they seem to have solved those problems and most builders have eliminated stabilizer issues.
__________________

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beneteau, california, coastal, emily b, swift trawler 44

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012