Old 08-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #21
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
Hey George, thanks for the reply. We did have a great trip and were going to leave her down in MDR and commute back and forth BUT alas life and work called so we're bringing her back up this week. The Bahamian Moor is the recommended anchoring technique from the locals in Morro Bay where you get tides shifting boats 180.
Chris
Oh, so you were there inside the harbor. My experience there is limited to one time on a mooring (accomplishes what a Bahamian does) and once docked.

Where did you have anchor dragging problems?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #22

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Emily B
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwkiwi View Post
Good blog read and great dolphin photos.

I wish our blog was half as good as yours but after starting off with good intentions with our blog on the Great Loop we are now unfortunately way behind. maybe tomorrow I'll work on it !!!

Again looks like you had a fun trip with good weather.
We're looking for an update on your Great loop adventures. Can you post the blog ? (No pressure
CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #23

Exactly! If you anchor inside you need the Bahamian cause of the tide. Since we upgraded to the Manson we haven't had any dragging issues. Originally the boat came with a Delta (I think 35) which she just pulled across the bottom A heavy Danforth worked around the bay area with the mud and sand but was a little sketchy with changing tides.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:36 AM   #24

City: Portage
Vessel Model: Temporary between boats
CeeBee,
Thanks for sharing your experience!
I am considering an ST44 as a next boat and a transition from sail to power, and would like to ask a couple things.
What was your typical cruising speed or a range of speeds on this trip? How comfortable was the ride? Was rolling a problem, particularly at 6-7 knots of boat speed? How comfortable is the owner's stateroom at anchor in poorest conditions you encountered with respect to motion and wave slapping? What was your real world fuel usage during this trip? The BoatTests numbers are quite optimistic; can you confirm or comment on them?
Would love to hear other ST44 owners' thoughs along these lines too.
Thanks!
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:40 AM   #25

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Lost Horizons,
Though we haven't taken long voyages on Lady Di, and none out of Chesapeake Bay, we have logged about 150 hours and are setting out to SW Florida in 2 weeks.
The 1 nm/ gal is a good average.
I'd like to answer any questions I can so either email me at rclarke246@aol.com or call me at 410-599-3676.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:02 AM   #26

Hi Lost Horizons,

Great questions and the same transition I just went through. I was a sailor who had looked at trawlers for years but then made the jump to an ST44 in May of 2013. She was also my wifes first experience with boating. She has gone from newbie "I'm not going to be comfortable going out the gate (golden gate) for a couple of years" to just finishing a 500 mile coastal adventure so that can speak a bit about the boats stability. Solid design, If you look at the way the bow is designed she looks like a Coast guard cutter and as such throws seas off to the side. In Morro Bay we were on an end tie next to a 65' and our bow was as high as his.

"Typical" cruising speed was 14-16 knots, at that speed she burns about 7-8 GPH PER engine going downhill, 9-10 GPH going uphill or against current. We did slow down to 6-8 knots when conditions got Lumpy. Even though the trip down was "supposed" to be down-hill we had a unique Southerly flow on our first day so we had choppy seas on the bow opposing the swell by 90 degrees (washing machine). The boat was perfectly comfortable. We get some pretty intense stuff in and outside the bay and "stability" has never been an issue. The only thing she (or any Powerboat) doesn't like is beam seas so we tack or gybe to destinations. If you motor at 6-7 knots you get really solid consumption as low as 3 GPH per engine.

She doesn't really like the use of the trip tabs in either head or following seas as she likes her bow to be able to rise. However in the flat Southern California waters we did use them and knocked off another 1 -1/2 GPH per engine at 16 knots.

Beneteau definitely could provide better sound insulation in the bow (and chain locker) as when you are underway in a moderate sea the owners stateroom is loud. However only one night at anchor did we pull out the couch bed and sleep there. Not really the boats "fault" as this was in Descanso Bay at Catalina where you are moored bow and stern in the Pacific with little protection and the swell was on the beam.

Two tips, pick your dealer well as there are a lot of "moving parts" to learn in the transition and you need one who will support you. I would not buy again from this dealer although I would absolutely buy another ST. We did "luck out" and befriended one of their staff who was awesome in teaching and mentoring me on the transition to power. As boat test points out, she is extremely maneuverable with just the engines in a marina with only taps needed on the thruster. (My teacher wouldn't let me use them though in the learning

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any other questions.

CB
Old 08-31-2014, 06:19 PM   #27

Very interesting. 1 nm/gallon total for both planning and displacement speeds. Well, that takes Bermuda off the list, unfortunately. Also makes Caribbean trips a gas station hopping exercise. Oh, well...

As far as the dealer support, I learned it when I bought the Oceanis. There were few things that needed to be corrected in the first month or two. Fortunately, my dealer was sweet.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:26 PM   #28

Rclerke246,
Looking forward to reading your FL voyage impressions.
Have a great trip!
Old 08-31-2014, 06:30 PM   #29
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Very interesting. 1 nm/gallon total for both planning and displacement speeds. Well, that takes Bermuda off the list, unfortunately. Also makes Caribbean trips a gas station hopping exercise. Oh, well...

As far as the dealer support, I learned it when I bought the Oceanis. There were few things that needed to be corrected in the first month or two. Fortunately, my dealer was sweet.

Even if it had the range it's definitely not the boat you'd want to take to Bermuda.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:34 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally the boat came with a Delta (I think 35) which she just pulled across the bottom A heavy Danforth worked around the bay area with the mud and sand but was a little sketchy with changing tides.
Goes to show you. One of the reasons I chose a Delta anchor when I got the Hatteras is because of all the experience I just had using them on charter boats in SF Bay and the California Delta. Not to mention CQRs up in the PNW and SW Florida.
I kept a big Danforth as a spare after using it a lot in the Chesapeake on our maiden voyage; no issues with tide shifts then. All a matter of patience and technique I guess, but also whatever gives you individual peace of mind.

I hope you guys have a super trip back up north, and please, keep up the cruising reports!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 08-31-2014, 06:41 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Even if it had the range it's definitely not the boat you'd want to take to Bermuda.
Because of the large windows?
Old 08-31-2014, 06:43 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Because of the large windows?
Fuel consumption and capacity, and hull form.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:45 PM   #33

Will you elaborate on the hull form limitation, please?
Old 08-31-2014, 06:49 PM   #34
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Will you elaborate on the hull form limitation, please?

Look up semi displacement vs full displacement advantages and disadvantages on the forum.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:54 PM   #35

I did. My understanding is that it reduces the comfort, particularly in the following seas. However, if one can go 1000 miles up and down CA coast, why not go the same distance from FL to Bermuda?
Old 08-31-2014, 09:08 PM   #36
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
I did. My understanding is that it reduces the comfort, particularly in the following seas. However, if one can go 1000 miles up and down CA coast, why not go the same distance from FL to Bermuda?
Because there is no escape route would be the reason. If you could go from the NC coast to Bermuda, you could perhaps do that in 4-5 days. That does not provide real safety on maintaining a good weather window. Over three days becomes very unpredictable. Most of the time going to Bermuda you will encounter 4-6' at least part of the trip so your discomfort tolerance is relevant. Now of course your fuel consumption makes it irrelevant. The tests I've seen on 2 x 300 Volvo's say the boat can make it at 6 to 8 knots though. They show 3 to 4 nmpg at those speeds. I don't know what engines you have.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:26 PM   #37
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Thanks for posting, I enjoyed reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post

There is an APP for that! Weather planning: Love the Buoyweather APP you can customize forecasts for points along your route. I placed three around Pt Concepcion J Also the NOAA Buoy App for real time conditions in front of you, realwind APP and Passageweather provided solid intel. Drag Queen is a great APP to conserve power during the night and be alerted if you are dragging.
With this section in mind, I Googled ' Drag Queen App' and it came up immediately. Great, I'll go to the App store on my iPad and install it. Not so simple. I eventually went to the iTunes store, searched and found it. I learned a couple of things. First its iPhone only. Second, Drag Queen as a search term using your iPad delivers a surprising number of results, but not what I wanted! So, yes, there really is an APP for that! If they were selling the APP then a name a bit different might be helpful....
Old 08-31-2014, 09:31 PM   #38
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Late one night at Morehead City Yacht Basin there was quite a bit of commotion. I went out to take a look. A Striker yacht of about 54' was tying up near us. It looked like it was hit by an artillery shell. The windows were broken out, all the rails including bimini frames were bent, and the boat was a total mess. They had started out from MC for Bermuda 4 days before, and were caught in a storm. They barely made it back, and all were bruised up. They said that they took many breaking waves over the boat.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:31 PM   #39
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Thanks for posting, I enjoyed reading.

With this section in mind, I Googled ' Drag Queen App' and it came up immediately. Great, I'll go to the App store on my iPad and install it. Not so simple. I eventually went to the iTunes store, searched and found it. I learned a couple of things. First its iPhone only. Second, Drag Queen as a search term using your iPad delivers a surprising number of results, but not what I wanted! So, yes, there really is an APP for that! If they were selling the APP then a name a bit different might be helpful....
Drag Queen works fine on our Ipad.....
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:41 PM   #40
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
Drag Queen works fine on our Ipad.....
Drag Queen does have an Android app. Works great.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, california, coastal, emily b, swift trawler 44