Selling Suggestions needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ALAN54

Vessel Name
ANDANTE'
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 30...1998
So, I have decided to put my 1998 Mainship 30 trawler for sale and get out of boating.
Andante is in very good shape, but has older electronics that may or may not work at different times!
If you were buying a used boat, would you rather have the current owner install new electronics, or have me just sell the boat at a discount knowing well that the instruments should be replaced?
Opinions anyone????
Thanks,
Alan

Personally I would rather have a discount and put the electronics I want on the boat. But I am particular and would install them myself. Others may like having what you like and not have to install them.

We have sold many boats since we are on number 23. A couple of suggestions when you get it ready to sell. #1 clean the boat out. Remove all personal items and all misc crap that collects on boats. Just leave the required safety equipment and things that will be sold with the boat. 2. Clean the boat. Get all the dirt out of the boat and make it shine. 3. Take more photos than you think are necessary. Many more. More photos will show prospective buyers that you are not trying to hide anything. Get good lighting for the photos. Have the photos in focus. 4. Make a good listing of the boats equipment, not just radar but what model radar, not just a pump but what model pump, etc. Include what significant maintenance and upgrades have been done. 5. Set a reasonable price.

Good luck!

Sounds like your boat will sell for under $50K, maybe way under. I would first try Criagslist and Boattrader and try to sell it myself. Those outlets often appreciate low price and DIY upgrades.

David

Comodave,
Yup ... sure sounds like you’ve been there done that.
We intend to use the boat while it’s for sale so won’t be spotless but we’ll make sure she’s clean. I don’t like the idea of spending $2000 or so on moorage and not have the use of the boat.

But you’re right. Look at the cars on the car lot. Most are as spotless as they can get. Even the tires are painted shinny black.

So, I have decided to put my 1998 Mainship 30 trawler for sale and get out of boating.
Andante is in very good shape, but has older electronics that may or may not work at different times!
If you were buying a used boat, would you rather have the current owner install new electronics, or have me just sell the boat at a discount knowing well that the instruments should be replaced?
Opinions anyone????
Thanks,
Alan

No Brainer. You have a slim chance of picking the package that any prospective buyer would prefer, disclose it and let them have the fun picking.

No Brainer. You have a slim chance of picking the package that any prospective buyer would prefer, disclose it and let them have the fun picking.
Agree...
When asked about this sort of thing by buyers they usually infer I should purchase and install. My response has consistently been I will allow $ xx and I'd be happy to choose and install my choice or let them choose, purchase and install and have any warranty in their name.
That usually gets them thinking that might be worth their while.

It may be worth while spending a bit of time/money to ensure what you've got is operational. But I wouldn't be replacing them in preparation for a sale.

I would rather install my own electronics. I'm not sure anything you do will influence the final selling price other than following suggestion of comodave. I once spent weeks prepping a boat for sale. Didn't get a thin dime more than if I had sold it as is.

Sell the sizzle, not the steak.

I would also rather install my preference...many variables with brands and going heavy or light, positioning, etc. GLWTS.

No money spent on a boat has more than a 100% return. If you aren't going to use it, or at least enjoy it -- don't buy it! :)

Craigs List worked for me and found a good buyer. Put it in all surrounding states and even further. Have a package of material including pictures and a nice, complete, written listing ready to send out. List you electronics, don't say they are old, only if they work or don't work; everyone does not need or even want the latest gadgets. Research your price and be honest with yourself. Cleaning and cosmetics are the only things you have a return on investment on.

You'll never get more money for new......anything. Only more offers and a faster sale. You can't up-charge for something that is supposed to be there. I wouldn't discount for the age of electronics. However, anything not working I would remove.

Most electronics are outdated before there unpacked from the box.

Not everyone needs to monitor the holding tank temperature while driving to work.

Many cruisers find boating to be a great hobby , the folks that prefer electric toys will never be satisfied with your choices.

VHF handheld , GPS hand held , and if it still works a recording depth sounder , and an AM FM car radio might do for most folks.

Mark your boat up $5000... Then offer a $5000 discount for use buying new electronics.

One thing that sold me on our current boat was the electronics. Until 6 months later they stopped working. But I knew they were older and got a good price on the boat so no big deal.

I'd disclose the issue and say the boats priced accordingly. That way no regrets on either side.

I'd disclose the issue and say the boats priced accordingly.

This is my thought as well. We bought a boat last year with outdated, non functioning electronics and we knew it and the boat was priced lower than others of the same vintage. We have now installed what we want. Win Win!

I'd disclose the issue and say the boats priced accordingly.

This is my thought as well. We bought a boat last year with outdated, non functioning electronics and we knew it and the boat was priced lower than others of the same vintage. We have now installed what we want. Win Win!
Same here, but all our electronics still work. They will be the last items we will replace during the overhauling process.

My advice is to follow Comodaves advice to the letter. Also, is there any chance you might get your current electronics working with little investment. Selling something without excuses is always better than having to explain something. If you can't make them work then mark the boat up 3,000 and offer a $4500 allowance for new electronics. You will never get your money back if you supply new. Well almost never. I suppose you could get a complete steal on some stuff for some odd reason. When I sell something I take the person around and show them everything that is not up to my standards and explain why it has not ben addressed. Everything else should be considered "right" or "unknown by me". You would be surprised how many electrical failures are really quite simple to remedy (loose wire, corrosion, fuse, dirt, power supply, ground, etc). Good luck.

IMHO, the best boat bargain is a boat that the PO has just spent a ton of money on. New electronics, new fuel tanks, new brightwork, new vinyl, new mooring cover, new batteries, even an engine rebuild are all nice selling points but will not add much to the selling price.

Comodave is right. Make the boat look clean and bright, DON'T spend any money on it. From that point, price it in the high range and have IN Hand a prepaid Visa card for whatever you honestly think new electronics will cost. Nothing like a prepaid $5,000 Visa to sweeten the deal.

You can even come down in your asking price a little to let the buyer feel like he has won. If he tries to negotiate you down too low just tell him the Visa card will have to go back into your pocket. The more you make the Visa card for, the bigger the enticement. ( Also the higher you will be able to price the boat)

pete

A big thanks to you all for your replies, as they were very helpful and confirmed my original thoughts on knocking $$$ off in order for buyer to purchase their preferred instruments. Boat as stands is in great shape, so just a bit of final cleanup and staging, then on the market it will go! Once again, thank you for your replies.
Alan

"City: PORT CHARLOTTE

Florida is a great place to buy a boat a very poor place to sell one.

Perhaps moving the boat out of FL will bring a 25% to 40% higher peice>

Look in the Soundings adds in the NE to see what its worth out of the FL graveyard.

As a broker, I'd say do not add new electronics...they're never new enough. We don't usually add them to new boats until just before delivery.

It's much more important to have the boat as empty and clean as possible. Get rid of any mold or mildew as well as any odors. The biggest turnoff to buyers in an otherwise nice boat, is a bad smelling boat. Ask a friend to take a sniff as owners often get used to the boat's smell and don't notice anything. Don't forget to clean the engine room and bilge.

You might consider having the boat surveyed yourself. You can get in front of problems and decide which ones make sense to address before the sale. Use a good surveyor and buyers may accept the survey, speeding up the process. Organize your records in a binder.

Pricing is the most effective tool you have so price it as low as you can stand to while allowing 5-10% for the inevitable negotiation. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom