Old 10-25-2019, 02:19 PM   #1

City: PORT CHARLOTTE
Vessel Name: ANDANTE'
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30...1998
Question Selling Suggestions needed

So, I have decided to put my 1998 Mainship 30 trawler for sale and get out of boating.
Andante is in very good shape, but has older electronics that may or may not work at different times!
If you were buying a used boat, would you rather have the current owner install new electronics, or have me just sell the boat at a discount knowing well that the instruments should be replaced?
Opinions anyone????
Thanks,
Alan
ALAN54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Personally I would rather have a discount and put the electronics I want on the boat. But I am particular and would install them myself. Others may like having what you like and not have to install them.

We have sold many boats since we are on number 23. A couple of suggestions when you get it ready to sell. #1 clean the boat out. Remove all personal items and all misc crap that collects on boats. Just leave the required safety equipment and things that will be sold with the boat. 2. Clean the boat. Get all the dirt out of the boat and make it shine. 3. Take more photos than you think are necessary. Many more. More photos will show prospective buyers that you are not trying to hide anything. Get good lighting for the photos. Have the photos in focus. 4. Make a good listing of the boats equipment, not just radar but what model radar, not just a pump but what model pump, etc. Include what significant maintenance and upgrades have been done. 5. Set a reasonable price.

Good luck!
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:40 PM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Sounds like your boat will sell for under $50K, maybe way under. I would first try Criagslist and Boattrader and try to sell it myself. Those outlets often appreciate low price and DIY upgrades.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:47 PM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Comodave,
Yup ... sure sounds like you’ve been there done that.
We intend to use the boat while it’s for sale so won’t be spotless but we’ll make sure she’s clean. I don’t like the idea of spending $2000 or so on moorage and not have the use of the boat.

But you’re right. Look at the cars on the car lot. Most are as spotless as they can get. Even the tires are painted shinny black.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:21 PM   #5
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAN54 View Post
So, I have decided to put my 1998 Mainship 30 trawler for sale and get out of boating.
Andante is in very good shape, but has older electronics that may or may not work at different times!
If you were buying a used boat, would you rather have the current owner install new electronics, or have me just sell the boat at a discount knowing well that the instruments should be replaced?
Opinions anyone????
Thanks,
Alan

No Brainer. You have a slim chance of picking the package that any prospective buyer would prefer, disclose it and let them have the fun picking.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:51 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerin View Post
No Brainer. You have a slim chance of picking the package that any prospective buyer would prefer, disclose it and let them have the fun picking.
Agree...
When asked about this sort of thing by buyers they usually infer I should purchase and install. My response has consistently been I will allow $ xx and I'd be happy to choose and install my choice or let them choose, purchase and install and have any warranty in their name.
That usually gets them thinking that might be worth their while.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:39 PM   #7
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
It may be worth while spending a bit of time/money to ensure what you've got is operational. But I wouldn't be replacing them in preparation for a sale.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:05 PM   #8
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
I would rather install my own electronics. I'm not sure anything you do will influence the final selling price other than following suggestion of comodave. I once spent weeks prepping a boat for sale. Didn't get a thin dime more than if I had sold it as is.

Sell the sizzle, not the steak.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:15 PM   #9
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
I would also rather install my preference...many variables with brands and going heavy or light, positioning, etc. GLWTS.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:01 AM   #10
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
No money spent on a boat has more than a 100% return. If you aren't going to use it, or at least enjoy it -- don't buy it! :-)
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:53 AM   #11
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Craigs List worked for me and found a good buyer. Put it in all surrounding states and even further. Have a package of material including pictures and a nice, complete, written listing ready to send out. List you electronics, don't say they are old, only if they work or don't work; everyone does not need or even want the latest gadgets. Research your price and be honest with yourself. Cleaning and cosmetics are the only things you have a return on investment on.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 02:18 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
You'll never get more money for new......anything. Only more offers and a faster sale. You can't up-charge for something that is supposed to be there. I wouldn't discount for the age of electronics. However, anything not working I would remove.
Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:29 AM   #13
FF
Guru

Most electronics are outdated before there unpacked from the box.

Not everyone needs to monitor the holding tank temperature while driving to work.

Many cruisers find boating to be a great hobby , the folks that prefer electric toys will never be satisfied with your choices.

VHF handheld , GPS hand held , and if it still works a recording depth sounder , and an AM FM car radio might do for most folks.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:57 AM   #14
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Mark your boat up $5000... Then offer a $5000 discount for use buying new electronics.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:46 AM   #15

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
One thing that sold me on our current boat was the electronics. Until 6 months later they stopped working. But I knew they were older and got a good price on the boat so no big deal.

I'd disclose the issue and say the boats priced accordingly. That way no regrets on either side.
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:12 AM   #16
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
[QUOTE=Solly;815805]
I'd disclose the issue and say the boats priced accordingly.

This is my thought as well. We bought a boat last year with outdated, non functioning electronics and we knew it and the boat was priced lower than others of the same vintage. We have now installed what we want. Win Win!
Old 10-30-2019, 10:49 AM   #17

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
[QUOTE=LaBomba;815812]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solly View Post
I'd disclose the issue and say the boats priced accordingly.

This is my thought as well. We bought a boat last year with outdated, non functioning electronics and we knew it and the boat was priced lower than others of the same vintage. We have now installed what we want. Win Win!
Same here, but all our electronics still work. They will be the last items we will replace during the overhauling process.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:00 AM   #18

City: Detroit
My advice is to follow Comodaves advice to the letter. Also, is there any chance you might get your current electronics working with little investment. Selling something without excuses is always better than having to explain something. If you can't make them work then mark the boat up 3,000 and offer a $4500 allowance for new electronics. You will never get your money back if you supply new. Well almost never. I suppose you could get a complete steal on some stuff for some odd reason. When I sell something I take the person around and show them everything that is not up to my standards and explain why it has not ben addressed. Everything else should be considered "right" or "unknown by me". You would be surprised how many electrical failures are really quite simple to remedy (loose wire, corrosion, fuse, dirt, power supply, ground, etc). Good luck.
moparharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:42 PM   #19
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
IMHO, the best boat bargain is a boat that the PO has just spent a ton of money on. New electronics, new fuel tanks, new brightwork, new vinyl, new mooring cover, new batteries, even an engine rebuild are all nice selling points but will not add much to the selling price.

Comodave is right. Make the boat look clean and bright, DON'T spend any money on it. From that point, price it in the high range and have IN Hand a prepaid Visa card for whatever you honestly think new electronics will cost. Nothing like a prepaid $5,000 Visa to sweeten the deal.

You can even come down in your asking price a little to let the buyer feel like he has won. If he tries to negotiate you down too low just tell him the Visa card will have to go back into your pocket. The more you make the Visa card for, the bigger the enticement. ( Also the higher you will be able to price the boat)

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:05 PM   #20

City: PORT CHARLOTTE
Vessel Name: ANDANTE'
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30...1998
A big thanks to you all for your replies, as they were very helpful and confirmed my original thoughts on knocking $$$ off in order for buyer to purchase their preferred instruments. Boat as stands is in great shape, so just a bit of final cleanup and staging, then on the market it will go! Once again, thank you for your replies.
Alan
ALAN54 is offline   Reply With Quote