Old 11-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #21
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
At this point in my life, I would never consider selling the farm. Would always keep a house or a nice size condo preferably at my boats home port. Both our current house and our current condo are low maintenance in that there are HOAs to take care of the landscaping and the exterior in the case of the condo. There are just too many messy aspects of todays life like drivers licenses, passports, medicare/SS, taxes, doctors, dentists, banking issues, family and a host of other things that make a permanent address necessary. You can avoid some of them by staying at the dock but if you are cruising full time, they might come back to bite you. The internet makes things a lot easier but it also is a complication.

We all probably long for a more simple simple life but others and organizations ensure we will never be able to tether ourselves from their grips. Would have thought the more wealth one accumulates, the easier it would be to obtain freedom to be a vagabond but it seems it is just the opposite.

I pay a good deal of attention to the stories of those who are full time cruisers but they rarely mention the kind of details on how they handle life's complexities besides boat issues. Maybe I should study up some more on it. The possibility of sinking doesn't bother me. The other issues do.

Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I thought the article was fantastic.

Not only because of its advice on selling the farm, but also for its advice on buying a boat you can afford without needing to sell the farm.

To each of us, that's different. Some fortunate people can buy a new zillion dollar passagemaker, and still keep the farm. Others can only afford something much more modest.

Both get to go cruising.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #23
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
No matter the price of the boat, the scenery is the same.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
No matter the price of the boat, the scenery is the same.
Some boats won't move under their own power. For those boats, the scenery is truly "always the same".

To be more serious, it's going to take a certain investment to purchase a boat that is reliable enough to set out on a cruise and large and comfortable enough that you will enjoy it and not long for your land based home.

The threshold is not the same for all of us but it is there.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:55 PM   #25
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
At this point in my life, I would never consider selling the farm. Would always keep a house or a nice size condo preferably at my boats home port. Both our current house and our current condo are low maintenance in that there are HOAs to take care of the landscaping and the exterior in the case of the condo. There are just too many messy aspects of todays life like drivers licenses, passports, medicare/SS, taxes, doctors, dentists, banking issues, family and a host of other things that make a permanent address necessary. You can avoid some of them by staying at the dock but if you are cruising full time, they might come back to bite you. The internet makes things a lot easier but it also is a complication.

We all probably long for a more simple simple life but others and organizations ensure we will never be able to tether ourselves from their grips. Would have thought the more wealth one accumulates, the easier it would be to obtain freedom to be a vagabond but it seems it is just the opposite.

[COLOR="black"][COLOR="black"]I pay a good deal of attention to the stories of those who are full time cruisers but they rarely mention the kind of details on how they handle life's complexities besides boat issues. Maybe I should study up some more on it. The possibility of sinking doesn't bother me. The other issues do.
Like what???

There are hundreds if not thousands of blogs on the net that do, this and other forums have addressed many issues...but ultimately it is how YOU handle your life that matters....living on a boat is only what you do or don't make it.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #26
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
boat vs a house

I can take a boat to the boatyard, hand them a punch list, walk away and come back (usually right quick) , find it all done, write a check and drive away. You can't do that with a house. You have to wait for a myriad of different people for different services to show up and you have to watch them like a hawk. Swapping General Contractor horror stories seems to be a common thread with home owners. You don't see that with Yacht Yards. I've only had excellent experiences at full service yards, and leave feeling that I got too good a deal! Never had that feeling in a dirt dwelling.

I've lived in motorhomes, I've lived in boats both power and sail, I've lived in high rises, I've lived in small houses in big cities, and big homes in small towns, I've lived in hotels for months in between. For sheer convenience the hotels win, followed by full service condominiums. Have a problem? Just call down to the office and that's it. Big houses and property are a lots like big boats-both being complicated machines with many systems to keep running. The beauty of a boat (other than the aforementioned services) is one can just crank one's engines and go when the neighborhood changes. The good thing about real estate is you can shoot guns off from the back porch and legally keep people from even stepping on your property by just posting a sign, both something you can't do at a marina.
For full disclosure, my ownership on land experiences have been entirely in the South. Your results may vary.
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:17 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
We actually did sell the farm to move aboard. Kept just one vehicle and one 10 x 20 storage unit. If I never have to mow grass again, it will still be to soon! Absolutely no regrets. For us it's not for a cheaper way of living it's for the simple life it affords. No stress, no worries and if the weather sucks so what we wait another day or week. We have spent more quality time together in the last year than in the previous ten. How do you put a price on that? Even our health seems to be better. I may consider buying a small waterside lot one day but if I do it will just be so I have somewhere to tie the boat for maintenance. We were lucky in that it wasn't a case of being able to afford one or the other, simply a choice for what we prefer and I don't see us going back.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:39 PM   #28
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I'm going to keep my "dirt boat". I've got a wood/machine shop detached from the house and that fills my craving for building things. And about to do a "caterpillar remodel" on the house. I.e., scrape and build a new one. That will keep me busy for a while. Just need to light a fire under the friggin draftsman's arse!!!

Then I will have an apartment over the shop for personal stuff, and rent the house out for short term rentals including a boat slip.

Hopefully that will pay the property taxes and housekeeping. When rented, the boat and I are GONE!!

So that's the plan. Who knows whether it will work....
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:21 PM   #29
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
I've seen many people move aboard and go cruising. Here on the Pacific it's not island hopping in the Caribbean, It's sailing thousands of miles to Hawaii, Fiji, the Marshalls or just coastal cruising down Mexico way. I've seen people with 30 year marriages split by the time they get to Cabo San Lucas and I've seen those that came back from five wonderful years seeing all the South Pacific Islands, Australia, NZ and more and loved every day of it.

What I have never seen is anyone coming back and moving back to their old home. Just doesn't happen here. They move to the opposite. Usually someplace like Colorado, Arizona, Nevada or 20 acres 100 miles north of El Paso Texas. Way far from the ocean. A totally extreme change. The couple that moved to Texas drives 20 miles of dirt roads to get to their home and 40 to get to a store.

There is one couple on a single screw trawler that sold their home but kept some rental property. They are leaving shortly.

Californians seem to get the smallest boat you are both comfortable in and get that ready because the expense of cruising has too many variables. A well equipped boat with a range over 500 miles seems to work. Mine has an 1100 mile range and is just right for us.

Kudo's to Pilothouse King for saying what everyone else is afraid to say.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:16 PM   #30
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Well, selling the farm is a LOT better than buying the farm...
Old 11-25-2014, 08:56 PM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Back to the topic and away from the curse of America political rant that someone seems determined to insert into any thread, I see determining what to do with one's life, one's boat, one's home, as a very personal decision. For some, selling the home and moving aboard is absolutely right. For others that is often an impulsive decision and leaves them feeling a void in their lives.

We had to take time to figure out what was right for us. Funny, it was easy when we uprooted from NC to move to Fort Lauderdale, made a quick decision and never regretted it a moment. But we can't imagine selling our Fort Lauderdale home and so we spend about 2/3 of our time out cruising, and the remaining time boating locally and on land. For us it has nothing to do with the home but all to do with friends and adopted family.

I would just say to listen to others but understand every one is different and don't allow anyone else to somehow make your choice for you. Preferably listen to those with good and bad experiences, those who never looked back and those who knew they'd screwed up immediately.

Some have found a middle course by leasing their home until they're certain of what they want to do. Others by downsizing the home. If you're not certain find ways to evaluate your choices further, whether through chartering or getting out with friends or trying a "temporary" boat. Mostly just find what in life works for you and follow that.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:18 AM   #32

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
Everybody is different. We all have different financial situations, incomes, assets and debts. What works for us is a home we own with enough mortgage to keep a credit rating and we own the boat outright. We have enough income for the maintenance and utilities and living expenses. Every now and then we take some out of the assets and take a vacation. Hope we get to spend it all before we sail off...
Lollygag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:29 AM   #33
FF
Guru

Our community here in Fl started as a bolt hole for sailors.

A simple garage/ carport was all that was needed , the garage as workshop/storage the carport to keep the sun off your transportation while gone.

With a dozen miles to the first traffic light , it is remote!

There are a few places , empty lots , and one or two with the origional style setup still for sale .

$75 K or so will get a lot , with a septic system installed there are no problems living aboard.

Tax , as a lot with no house cant be homesteaded, will run about $700-$900 a year,

Under half what a dock rental would cost.

Google River Forrest , it is a business that recently opened to sell storage to big boats.,,1/2 mile away
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #34
keb

City: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Our community here in Fl started as a bolt hole for sailors.

A simple garage/ carport was all that was needed , the garage as workshop/storage the carport to keep the sun off your transportation while gone.

With a dozen miles to the first traffic light , it is remote!

There are a few places , empty lots , and one or two with the origional style setup still for sale .

$75 K or so will get a lot , with a septic system installed there are no problems living aboard.

Tax , as a lot with no house cant be homesteaded, will run about $700-$900 a year,

Under half what a dock rental would cost.

Google River Forrest , it is a business that recently opened to sell storage to big boats.,,1/2 mile away

Where are you in Florida?
keb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:50 PM   #35
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by keb View Post
Yes, I google River Forrest and get nothing, River Forest and get nothing in Florida.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:58 PM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Ft. Myers, FL.
Vessel Name: Chasing 80
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Constellation 460
Yes, I read the article and, to be honest, it kinda peed me off. It's hard to believe they would publish a boilerplate opinion when there are so many variables. As others have said here, each situation is unique.

I believe my wife and I have put together a pretty good retirement plan. Buy a boat, sell the "farm" and travel for a few years before deciding where we want another dwelling, most likely a condo. We both know for sure that we don't want to come back to the mid-west so there is no reason to keep our current house and acreage. We have no kids and nothing to tie us to this area (sorry, wrong thread?). We keep our boat funds separate from our retirement funds and the proceeds from the house sale stay separate for the future home. We didn't come up with this plan overnight and don't plan to change based on this article.

Sure, we'll have to come back once a year for check-ups and the like until we decide on where we'll land but thats no big deal in my opinion. There are plenty of choices to establish residency which takes care of drivers license, banking and the like. We chose to use St Brendan's Isle but there are others.

OK, sorry for the rant. This story had me wanting to vent at PMM but you guys got lucky first. Now...if I can just get an offer on the house!!

BTW, I think FF lives on the Okeechobee waterway, pretty country.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:09 PM   #37
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by keb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Yes, I google River Forrest and get nothing, River Forest and get nothing in Florida.
Try this.

RFYC LABELLE
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #38
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Yes, I read the article and, to be honest, it kinda peed me off. It's hard to believe they would publish a boilerplate opinion when there are so many variables. As others have said here, each situation is unique.

I believe my wife and I have put together a pretty good retirement plan. Buy a boat, sell the "farm" and travel for a few years before deciding where we want another dwelling, most likely a condo. We both know for sure that we don't want to come back to the mid-west so there is no reason to keep our current house and acreage. We have no kids and nothing to tie us to this area (sorry, wrong thread?). We keep our boat funds separate from our retirement funds and the proceeds from the house sale stay separate for the future home. We didn't come up with this plan overnight and don't plan to change based on this article.

Sure, we'll have to come back once a year for check-ups and the like until we decide on where we'll land but thats no big deal in my opinion. There are plenty of choices to establish residency which takes care of drivers license, banking and the like. We chose to use St Brendan's Isle but there are others.

OK, sorry for the rant. This story had me wanting to vent at PMM but you guys got lucky first. Now...if I can just get an offer on the house!!

BTW, I think FF lives on the Okeechobee waterway, pretty country.
Spot On!

This time, when we started looking seriously at The Boat idea, we thought we would buy the boat and stay in the US for a few years before heading overseas but as we dug into the details we realized that we could pick up the boat in Hong Kong which would save us $100K. We figure we can live very well in Asia for a few years on $100K. After our recent trip to China I know we could live cheaply over there.

By selling The Farm, we can liquidate the house debt, buy the boat with cash and have enough money left over to live for years in Asia and the Pacific. Not having a house and cars saves huge buckets of money. If we sell The Farm, we can retire early and claw back some very precious premium years that would be consumed by working. I would rather have a few extra prime years of life than a house we won't be using and will be an anchor.

Buying The Boat by selling The Farm completely changes, in a VERY positive way, our financial circumstances. Our long term retirement plan was to save enough of our own money to live on and not depend on Social Security but by living in Asia for a few years, we can live very well, but cheaply, on the proceeds of selling the Farm and wait for SS to kick in. It looks like we could live on the Farm proceeds and Social Security for a good 7-8 years before possibly needed to tap our retirement savings. In 7-8 years the investments should roughly double. Our current investments would easily allows us to pay for our land lifestyle at retirement time but if the money doubles....

My take away from the many How Much Money Do We Need To Cruise discussions on CF is that you will likely continue to spend on a boat what you spend off the boat. We actually live on very little money, once car, house, and kid expenses are gone. We don't go out to eat very often or expensively except on vacation and our vacations are pretty cheap.

Selling The Farm and buying The Boat buys us some very precious premium years, drastically lowers expenses, lets us travel to places we really want to see, and ironically, will increase our retirement funds!

Keeping a house we would not even be living in would cost us money, negatively impact our retirement funds and just does not make any sense at all for what we want to do.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:22 PM   #39
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
...we realized that we could pick up the boat in Hong Kong which would save us $100K. We figure we can live very well in Asia for a few years on $100K.

It has honestly baffled me. If a retired couple have a passage maker built in China with the intention of long distance cruising why drop $100K on delivery??? Does it really matter where you start cruising from?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:36 PM   #40
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
It has honestly baffled me. If a retired couple have a passage maker built in China with the intention of long distance cruising why drop $100K on delivery??? Does it really matter where you start cruising from?
Besides Seahorse, what other Chinese boat builders will build and sell direct to the buyer?

Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote