Old 07-08-2019, 04:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Greenbank, WA
Sellersí remorse?

Well, that was a waste of time! I spent a couple of weeks seriously investigating and negotiating the purchase, through a reputable broker, of a Willard 47’ (Klatawa, which was on Yachtworld) and had an oral agreement through the broker in place that the Seller said he would agree to. Visited the boat twice, and my son flew up from CA in part to look at the boat. I sent in the contract over the weekend and was told the seller would be available to sign Monday. We made an appointment for Sunday to take my son to see the boat. Got up there (90 minute drive) only to find out that the Seller had taken the boat out for the weekend without informing the broker (in violation of his listing agreement). Was told he would be back Monday. So today (Monday) I get a call from the broker saying the Seller decided not to sell. It wasn’t price, he said he would take any price. I was a serious, cash buyer and had negotiated a deal both sides at one point agreed to. As you can imagine, the broker is seriously pissed off. My guess is this owner will have a hard time finding a broker around here to sell it if he changes his mind (again). Anyway, sad end to the story for me, and the search continues. First question in the next boat “Does the Seller REALLY want to sell?”

Jknox0601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Be happy you didn't pay for a survey.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:23 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Funny, when we bought our boat it was the flip side. It was kind of a distress sale -- the seller had some serious life things to deal with and just wanted the boat off his mind even though his family had great times on it, so we got an excellent boat for a ridiculously low price. In fact we felt like we were taking terrible advantage of him and after looking at the boat and doing the sea trial we offered to let him out of it. The boat was near Newport RI. We told him we'd chalk up the weekend to a fun trip to beautiful Newport, nice hotel, great restaurants (Black Pearl, Anthony's Seafood Market, Midtown Oyster Bar...), nice weekend, and we'd just keep boat shopping and he could put it back on the market at a much higher price, no harm no foul. Nope, he insisted we were doing him a favor so we gave him the check. Meanwhile your seller suddenly yanks the boat away, whether you like it or not. Ah boat buying, what a crazy process.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:27 PM   #4
Arc
Veteran Member

City: Long island
Vessel Name: Riverwind
Vessel Model: Eastern
Op, Maybe the boat Gods were looking out for you. A better deal may be ahead.
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:35 PM   #5
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
The boat is still listed. The boat may be owned be Thomas Whyte from Mukiteo, formerly from Tulalip. He is 77 years old. His phone is listed online. Probably lot more info available. No harm in calling him directly as there is no contract in place.

His ad in Willard owners group states he is retiring from boating.
SoWhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:02 PM   #6

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
I'm seriously sorry for you......but KARMA will win out! Good luck!
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I live very near Mukilteo and could go try to look him,up, but based on the broker’s description they guy is extremely difficult to deal with. I suspect what is going in is that his younger family members want to keep the boat and talked him out of selling during a weekend cruise to the San Juan’s. I am not sure I have the stomach to spend more effort on this. I am sure the rest of the sale process would have been fraught with difficulty as well.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Had I gotten as far as a survey, I would have had an iron clad contract and could force him to sell. Given his demeanor that might have meant litigation, but I am a retired attorney . . .
Old 07-08-2019, 06:32 PM   #9
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jknox0601 View Post
Had I gotten as far as a survey, I would have had an iron clad contract and could force him to sell. Given his demeanor that might have meant litigation, but I am a retired attorney . . .
We only have the brokers word re. demeanor. Broker could have been very pushy to a guy having trouble letting go of a boat he has enjoyed for 25+ years. Although the same boat was for sale in 2014. 47' WIllard For Sale

The sale doesn't begin until the customer says no.
SoWhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The current owner bought her in 2014. Based on my interaction with this broker, I don’t think the broker is a pushy guy at all. Acted very professionally through the process. The seller overpriced the boat (the broker told me to make a substantially lower offer) and I am not, sure the seller ever really wanted to sell, or more likely his kids or grandkids didn’t want him to sell.

Anyway, I am moving on. Too much brain damage in this one already.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Another thing I discovered in this process is that it is virtually impossible to find a slip for a 40-50’ boat in the North sound area. Every marina seems to have multi-year waiting lists, even for open slips, much less covered. You can buy a covered slip condo outright — for over $200k! My search is now also focusing in boats with available slips within a reasonable distance from me.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:09 PM   #12
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Another thing I discovered in this process is that it is virtually impossible to find a slip for a 40-50í boat in the North sound area. Every marina seems to have multi-year waiting lists, even for open slips, much less covered. You can buy a covered slip condo outright ó for over $200k! My search is now also focusing in boats with available slips within a reasonable distance from me.

Sorry about the hassle. Yes, large slips are hard to find in Northern Puget Sound. You may want to consider Semiahmoo. They might have slips available. Not exactly convenient to a lot of locations. You can also look to the South. You might be able to find something in Tacoma.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Tacoma and Blaine are just too far. Boating no fun if you have to commute 4-6 hours round trip to get to your boat! Tacoma would be especially bad since after fighting the awful Seattle traffic for a couple hours to get there, well, you are in Tacoma — what can I say?
Old 07-08-2019, 07:59 PM   #14
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
We were purchasing a previous boat and I was booked on a flight to Seattle to look at a couple of boats. I was in Las Vegas and was going to Seattle to see the boats when I saw an ad for a 44í Marine Trader so I called the broker. I asked if he was familiar with the boat, he replied that he was the listing broker. I asked is the boat still for sale, he replied yes. I asked if I flew in that day could I look at the boat, he said yes. I changed my flight from my Seattle to LA. Got to LA and looked at the boat. I made an offer that the broker thought would be acceptable. He told me to head back to the marina to sign up for the slip. On my way back to the marina the broker called and said he had bad news. He said the boat was already sold and had been sea trialed already. I asked if he was the listing broker for real and how did he not know that it had been sold. He didnít really have an answer. I thanked him for jerking me around by having me fly to LA to see a boat that had been sold already. He didnít have anything to say about that. I called and booked a flight to Seattle and ended up buying a boat there.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:00 PM   #15

City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
I had the same thing happen at 10pm the night prior to the survey. Also being sold by an older gentleman. The broker went to visit him and found out that he had bought the boat as a project following the death of his wife and didnít want to let go.... well, second wife was in the room and told him it was her turn.... had to hustle to find another surveyor to get the second time around to go fast. What also helped was I told them that I wouldnít change the boat name as I wanted to continue his honor to his wife....it was her initials. See if there is any emotional back story
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:43 PM   #16

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 29 - Express Cruiser 1969
Many older marina's in the Pacific Northwest and coastal BC. Part of the reason I bought my boat was to get into a well located marina in Comox. Because I bought the boat there I was able to jump the line, but there is a long line of folks waiting for a spot at that marina. This was true in Vancouver when I purchased my sailboat. For smaller boats, it isn't quite as dire but for larger boats, its a real problem. Often the easy part is buying the boat here, then comes the - where do I keep it problem.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:05 PM   #17
Imp

City: Sneads Ferry NC
Once had a boat pulled on me after I bought plane tickets to view; seller did partially compensate me for the tickets & I was able to sell them, too (back when you could still do that). Just last month was set to see another boat that was close & sounded perfect, but it was pulled the day before because sellers decided to give it to their children.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:32 PM   #18
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWhat View Post
The boat may be owned be Thomas Whyte from Mukiteo, formerly from Tulalip. He is 77 years old. His phone is listed online.
I spent a week on the Klatawa in the Broughtons a few years ago (it was chartered for an expedition I was part of). The owner is not Thomas Whyte. I don't recall the owner's last name, but his first name is Ron and he lives part of the year in Yellowknife and the other part in Campbell River.

It is a fabulous cruising boat, very well taken care of. Very sorry it didn't work out for you.
https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:20 AM   #19

City: Lakeland
Vessel Name: Wanderlust
Vessel Model: 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Yeah, it sucks you got jerked around. As someone else pointed out, it may ultimately be for the best.

There is an old parable about a farmer whose horse ran away. When it was found, his son went to get it and ride it back, on the way back, the horse bucked the son off and the son broke his leg. A string of bad luck? The next day, the army arrived looking for conscripts and they passed by the son due to his broken leg.

Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes you don't get to know why until later, sometimes not at all. Your next boat is still out there. You'll find it. Keep us posted on the adventure.

John
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #20
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Based on my interaction with this broker, I donít think the broker is a pushy guy at all. Acted very professionally through the process. The seller overpriced the boat (the broker told me to make a substantially lower offer) ....
The owner's broker told you to make a substantially lower offer? That doesn't sound professional to me....

DDW is offline   Reply With Quote