Old 01-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
A Selene Convert?

The Admiral fell in love with this at the Seattle Boat Show and a stand up engine room would be awesome. I was surprised to find John Deere engines...

http://www.hamptonyachtgroup.com/hampton-yacht-inventory.php?rPage=/privatelabel/listing/pl_boat_detail_handler.jsp?slim=pp282877&units=Fee t&boat_id=2626140&primary_photo_id=0&primary_photo _url=http%3A%2F%2Fnewimages.yachtworld.com%2Fresiz e%2F1%2F24%2F48%2F4372448_20130718112223780_1_XLAR GE.jpg&back=%2Fprivatelabel%2Flisting%2Fcache%2Fpl _search_results.jsp%3Fps%3D15%26slim%3Dpp282877%26 sm%3D3%26is%3Dfalse%26lineonly%3Dtrue%26cit%3Dtrue &searchtype=buy
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Now if you could get her to fall in love with a wealthy senile 90 year old that would marry her and make you his skipper your would have it all. And in two years when the old fart croaks you get the wife back AND a new boat

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Now if you could get her to fall in love with a wealthy senile 90 year old that would marry her and make you his skipper your would have it all. And in two years when the old fart croaks you get the wife back AND a new boat

HOLLYWOOD

I rather suspect mine could make him croak in < a year.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: NH
That is a fine boat. But it's $300.00 over my budget. Moving on.
Jobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:03 AM   #6
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
OMG!!! What's not to love? I'd trade in my GB for that boat.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
I'd view this vessel as a tweener. Maybe light on fuel capacity for serious blue water work but about $700K to 1M more than a 62 or 64 Nordhavn that is blue water capable. Or about $800K to 1M more than a 65' Outer Reef that is of similar size but with better layout and possibly better build quality. Or how about a used 65' or new 58' Fleming for the same price as the Selene? Lots of competition out there.

BTW, the used Nordhavn market has boomed as compared to a brief few years ago.

But give it to Selene, they do catch one's eye.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:17 AM   #8
Guru

City: Cleveland
Vessel Name: Irishland
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Corinthian 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
I'd view this vessel as a tweener. Maybe light on fuel capacity for serious blue water work but about $700K to 1M more than a 62 or 64 Nordhavn that is blue water capable. Or about $800K to 1M more than a 65' Outer Reef that is of similar size but with better layout and possibly better build quality. Or how about a used 65' or new 58' Fleming for the same price as the Selene? Lots of competition out there.

BTW, the used Nordhavn market has boomed as compared to a brief few years ago.

But give it to Selene, they do catch one's eye.

I agree with you 100%. It's a nice vessel for sure, but it does lack in the fuel department. I would take a Fleming over the Selene any day, even though the 58 and the 65 lacks a little bit in fuel department as well. But that is me.

Happy cruising.

H. Foster
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #9

City: Victoria BC
Vessel Name: LUCKY US
Vessel Model: American Tug
Beautiful boat for sure. Not sure why some think 2300 gallons is lacking but hey, for some the glass is half empty etc etc
jukesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #10
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Yep, I was about to write a check but changed my mind because of the fuel capacity!

I think the reason so many manufactures are able to produce and sell boats is that people's needs and tastes are different. Some focus on one thing or things, others focus on something different.

Fortunately, my lifestyle and needs are satisfied with a much smaller, much less expensive boat than that.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #11
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukesy View Post
Beautiful boat for sure. Not sure why some think 2300 gallons is lacking but hey, for some the glass is half empty etc etc
That's close to $10K to fill up in the USA. That's more than some people pay for a boat.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:11 AM   #12
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
What? no humidor....forgetaboutit
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukesy View Post

To compete with the Nordhavns, 2300 gal may be tight on a CA to Hilo run. Lurking in the back of my mind also is the claim made against Selene for inflating fuel capacity. For nearly $3M one doesn't want to get cut short on the boat's intended mission - serious blue water cruising.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:24 AM   #14
Guru

City: Cleveland
Vessel Name: Irishland
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Corinthian 380
Quote:
To compete with the Nordhavns, 2300 gal may be tight on a CA to Hilo run. Lurking in the back of my mind also is the claim made against Selene for inflating fuel capacity. For nearly $3M one doesn't want to get cut short on the boat's intended mission - serious blue water cruising.
Here you go

Truth in tankage at issue in lawsuit

H. Foster
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #15
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
That does it. I'm keeping my GB 42. At my tankage I have 1100 mile range and I'm good with coastal cruising.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #16
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Selene has had quality control issues over the years. I know a few years ago, a Port Townsend company did their warranty work and the electrical systems and wiring were always an adventure, seldom the same in any two boats. They were not complementary about the build quality. To this day, you can stand at the bow, sight down the hull, and if the light is right, you can see the glass cloth pattern through the gelcoat. Their selling point has always been that they are 25-30% cheaper than a comparable Nordy or KK. To me, the price differential is worth it to ensure the quality.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Selene has had quality control issues over the years. I know a few years ago, a Port Townsend company did their warranty work and the electrical systems and wiring were always an adventure, seldom the same in any two boats. They were not complementary about the build quality. To this day, you can stand at the bow, sight down the hull, and if the light is right, you can see the glass cloth pattern through the gelcoat. Their selling point has always been that they are 25-30% cheaper than a comparable Nordy or KK. To me, the price differential is worth it to ensure the quality.
Damn... wish I'd read this thread 3 years ago...

Dave
Old 01-28-2014, 12:59 PM   #18
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
To this day, you can stand at the bow, sight down the hull, and if the light is right, you can see the glass cloth pattern through the gelcoat.
Heck, you can see the print-through on a Hinckley without having to get the light right. It doesn't mean the construction is suspect. It's not what we call a "yacht quality" finish but then again you aren't paying for one either.

That's what you get for having a good proportion between resin and glass and not having another few hundred pounds of fairing of overly thick gelcoat.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
Damn... wish I'd read this thread 3 years ago...

Dave
Yeah, don't tell Brian Calvert either who has been enjoying his 48 Selene for the past few years as he cruised from Seattle to the Marquesas and then on to the South Seas.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #20
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Yeah, don't tell Brian Calvert either who has been enjoying his 48 Selene for the past few years as he cruised from Seattle to the Marquesas and then on to the South Seas.
Damn...ya beat me to it....

Brian's website:
Home | Furthur Adventure

Can't forget Adrian Salzer, either- a Selene 43 that cruised from Seattle to Glacier Bay, then southward to Seattle m Astorian, San Francisco, San Diego, Cabo, Panama, thru the Canal, around the Caribbean, the Keys and then up to Maine over 3 + years without a problem......yup, terrible boats indeed.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote