Old 01-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #21
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Dave-not necessarily a knock against Selenes. After, a couple of my closest friends are Selene owners! I also know that Chen worked pretty hard about 7-8 years ago to build the skill of his workforce and to get much better manufacturing consistency. I know he brought a well-known builder from NH in to work developing manufacturing processes and worker training. Jet-Tern was one of the very first marine manufacturers in PRC and there was no infrastructure or skilled workforce.

THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #22
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
Damn... wish I'd read this thread 3 years ago...

Dave
Dave, if you are ready to dump that 48, send me a PM.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:44 AM   #23

The comparisons that everyone is giving (nordhavn,outerreef)struck me as odd that they are cheaper than selenes.I have been on all these boats,and each brings something special to the table,usually at the expense of something else.The one thing that everyone is missing here is that a selene is measured at lwl,whereas the nordys and outers are loa.The selene 66 mentioned is close to 72 loa,not 66.whereas the outerreef 65 is 65,and the nordy 68 is 68.So if you are going to compare price ,than lets compare apples to apples.there is a 64 nordy(no 68 presently on the market),a 2009 for 2.6 mil.im sure a comparable nordy 68 is more,and how much for a 72 if nordy made it.There is a 2014 outerreef 72 for 3.5 mil(they didn't make a 72 in 2008).So,please lets be fair!
tinped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:32 AM   #24
Guru

City: Cleveland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinped View Post
The comparisons that everyone is giving (nordhavn,outerreef)struck me as odd that they are cheaper than selenes.I have been on all these boats,and each brings something special to the table,usually at the expense of something else.The one thing that everyone is missing here is that a selene is measured at lwl,whereas the nordys and outers are loa.The selene 66 mentioned is close to 72 loa,not 66.whereas the outerreef 65 is 65,and the nordy 68 is 68.So if you are going to compare price ,than lets compare apples to apples.there is a 64 nordy(no 68 presently on the market),a 2009 for 2.6 mil.im sure a comparable nordy 68 is more,and how much for a 72 if nordy made it.There is a 2014 outerreef 72 for 3.5 mil(they didn't make a 72 in 2008).So,please lets be fair!
I agree with you 100% with the number your stated when it comes to the nordhavn, outerreef and selene. I also agree each vessel brings something to the table as well. But I do stand by my statement that this selene is a little light in the fuel department as a blue water vessel.

As I said, I would take a Fleming over the Selene any day when it comes to comparing them apples to apples and here is why.

Fleming 72'. loa. fuel 3,600 gal. Beam 21.5' Water tank 600. Holding tank 250 gal. Water draft 6'. price 1.9 mil.

I did compare them apples to apples and for me (and I do mean for me) the Fleming is the better vessel. Plus the Fleming has a better lay out (To me) over the Selene and plus the Fleming has lower profile over the selene.

I think the selene we are chatting about is a nice vessel, but when compared to the Fleming 72 the Fleming wins in my book but that is just me. Someone else may take the selene.

Happy cruising

H. Foster
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:55 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Where did you get this "fact" ? I'm in the business, and never heard of this ...the LWL vs LOA debate has been an ongoing debate...

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:32 AM   #26
Guru

Just to confirm Tinped's comments, our Selene 47 actually measures almost 52ft LOA. LOD is 47ft and LWL is 44ft. This goes a long way towards explaining why the engine room on a Selene 47 is substantially larger than that of a Nordhavn 46. Peter, I assume this information is published in the various boat specifications.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #27
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
I've been on them all too. You may want to toss displacement into the equation when comparing the Selene to the Nordhavn, both being FD designs. But it all depends on one's mission. For coastal cruising which has been the 66 Selene's very well done travels to date, it is more than adequate. But, if one wanted to travel from Seattle to Fiji I'd say the $1M less N62 would be a better choice or $1.5 M less N55.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #28
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
My observations on the Selene vs. Nordhavn

The Selene's have great lines and are more pleasing to the eye. Except for the N57 with forward slanted bridge windows which looks awesome.

The Selene's hulls are harder chines and may get more room in the E.R., the Nordhavn has a much more rounded stern section and I believe achieve better fuel economy and probably do better with big seas on the tail.

The Nordhavn's are built a bit heavier and their quality control is a bit better, being from Port Townsend I have heard all the scuttlebutt about the new Selene issues.

I think Selene's are a bit more coastal oriented in design and specs .. but there have been very successful offshore passages in them.. but keep in mind that oceans have been crossed in vessel's made of 2 liter soda bottles!

I am surprised there is not a larger cost spread between Nordhavn and Selene's... with Nordhavn's costing more.

I am actually pretty neutral between the two boats.. but I do feel they are actually DESIGNED for two different kinds of voyaging.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #29
Guru

An interesting side note, I have been on several Selenes with the Flag Blue gel coat hull which required re-fairing and Awl Grip paint. The blue 66 in question was Awl Grip painted 4 years after launching.

Hollywood, the N 57 is indeed a great vessel with many of the older ones being snapped up and nicely re-fiitted to come in below the cost of a new N52.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:54 AM   #30

City: Olympia, WA
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
our Selene 47 actually measures almost 52ft LOA. LOD is 47ft and LWL is 44ft. This goes a long way towards explaining why the engine room on a Selene 47 is substantially larger than that of a Nordhavn 46.
Hi Chris,

My Nordhavn 47 measures 51' LOA, 47.5' LOD and 43.3' LWL. As mentioned already, the soft chine and rounded hull on the Nordy greatly reduces the size of the engine room and Lazz when compared to a Selene. This increases seaworthiness but decreases available space.
Boydski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:55 AM   #31
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
If they made a 68 Nordy with a bulbous bow, that would be my version of a "perfect trawler". I've seen some Selene's around, their woodwork is great. But not a super fan of the laid back FB.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:24 PM   #32
Guru

Boydski:
A bit confused by your post. The Nordhavn published specs for the N46 / N47 are respectively LOA 45'9" / 47'8" and LWL 38'4" / 43'4". I did notice a significant increase in displacement (85K vs 60K lbs)) between the 2 vessels. No doubt theses are great vessels. Just could not get my average size body into the ER on the N46!!
Old 01-29-2014, 12:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Boydski:
A bit confused by your post. The Nordhavn published specs for the N46 / N47 are respectively LOA 45'9" / 47'8" and LWL 38'4" / 43'4". Just could not get my average size body into the ER on the N46!!

Hi Chris,

The N46 is the passagemaker hull from Robert Beebe's book. It is very different from the N47 hull. You'd have no trouble squeezing into the engine room on a N47. (see the photo below - stand up engine room).

The LOA difference depends on how the vessel's are outfitted (anchor pulpit and swim step adds to LOA - which is why mine is 51'). I find the N47 engine room pretty easy to work in and I'm VERY jealous of your Lazarette! Mine is tiny....

Old 01-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #34
Guru

Nice art work!!! Did they come with the boat??
Old 01-29-2014, 12:38 PM   #35

Quote:
Nice art work!!! Did they come with the boat??
Yes, they did and the previous owner made me promise not to take them down (like that was going to happen).
Old 01-29-2014, 01:15 PM   #36
THD
Guru

I am constantly amazed that there not only seem to be no standard to relate a model size, i.e. a Selene 66, to some standard hull measurement. Every builder seems to do in differently. Looking at the detailed specs for different models, Nordy seems to match the model to the LOA, i.e. a N65 will be 65' LOA. I have yet to see a Selene where any hull measurement equals any hull dimension. i.e. the S66 is 72' 6" LOA, 68'3" LOH (don't even know what this one is!), 64' 3" LOD and 61'6"LWL. So where does 66 come from? Krogen consistently uses LOD, our 58 is 58' LOD and 63'3" LOA and 52'3" LWL. Although Nordy and KK use a different measurement, at least they are consistent and make sense.

As to the Fleming-while they are built for long ocean passages, it is still a bit of apples to oranges comparisons as they are SD hulls. the 72' mentioned carries 3,600 gallons because it ahs twin 3412's with about 1300 hp each. Not the most efficient ocean crossing setup.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
As to the Fleming-while they are built for long ocean passages, it is still a bit of apples to oranges comparisons as they are SD hulls. the 72' mentioned carries 3,600 gallons because it ahs twin 3412's with about 1300 hp each. Not the most efficient ocean crossing setup.
Tony Flemings Atlantic and Pacific well documented travels should dispel any doubts as to blue capability of the F65 at a steady 8.5 knots with big diesels.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #38
THD
Guru

Sun-I don't question the blue water capability of the Fleming. Tony is famous for his proposition that a SD hull can be efficient at FD speeds. His boats are very well built and very attractive boats. I was just pointing out that his concepts are different than the FD hulls of Selene, Nord and KK.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:23 PM   #39

to paul hana,i took the info right off of yachtworld,and im surprised you didn't know this!
Old 01-29-2014, 02:29 PM   #40

to all,i was simply replying to the comment about costs,nothing else factored in.