Old 09-22-2018, 02:40 PM   #1

City: Wilton, CT
Selene 53 vs Alaskan 56

Hi all,

We are now both retired, time to sell the Mainship 400 and go larger. Considering either a Selene 53 or an Alaskan 56. Anyone have an opinion between the two? We plan to live-aboard 6-8 months a year, cruise the east coast.... I am particularly interested in getting more info on the Alaskan, not much out there.....two 2006's now on the market....pros and cons to both on layout, come to realize there is no perfect boat.

Many thanks,

T.G.
Soggy Dollars
Milford CT

rawlitwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:59 PM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
I have the Grand Alaskan 53, 2002 model. Love her. Quality finishing throughout, etc. I also looked at a couple of Selenes, and they are also of great quality. You won't go wrong with either.

One question you are going to have to answer - do you want a single or twins?

menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, open to either single or twin.... I would still want a bow and stern thruster on both (have that now on my single Mainship). We are happy at 8-9 knots. Not many Selene's have twins....If I may, what made you go with the Alaskan? Is there an Alaskan forum site?
Old 09-22-2018, 04:09 PM   #4
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
As best I recall the Grand Alaskan is a DeFever design whereas the Alaskan is a Grand Banks. The later models of the GB Alaskan were called the GB Aleutian. All three are very different vessels.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:20 PM   #5
Guru

City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlitwn View Post
Thanks for the reply, open to either single or twin.... I would still want a bow and stern thruster on both (have that now on my single Mainship). We are happy at 8-9 knots. Not many Selene's have twins....If I may, what made you go with the Alaskan? Is there an Alaskan forum site?
Actually, many of the 53-55 Seleneís have dual mains. Most of them appear to be on the east coast. The majority of same size Seleneís in the PNW are single mains.

Me personally, Iím partial to the single main, less maintenance, more engine room space and larger fuel capacity.

Hope that helps.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:25 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
As best I recall the Grand Alaskan is a DeFever design whereas the Alaskan is a Grand Banks. The later models of the GB Alaskan were called the GB Aleutian. All three are very different vessels.
Nope.

The original Grand Alaskans were DeFever designed. Then Grand Banks sued Oviatt to get them to stop using the Grand Alaskan name as they said it confused consumers versus the Grand Banks Alaskan.

Given that you cannot trade mark and register and protect a common word such as Alaskan, Grand Alaskan dropped the Grand and went with just Alaskan.

So the Alaskan and the Grand Banks Alaskan are two completely different vessels.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:26 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Because the one I looked at had twin Luggers!
Old 09-23-2018, 02:11 AM   #8

City: Camarillo
Question

Your asking about two completely different thought processes for their design type boats -- so need to know how you will use her ? (Besides as live aboard).

What kind of fuel usage are you looking to have, or is that even a concern for you ?

Do you plan to cross oceans, or just always a coastal cruiser ?

Boat speed your looking for ? you said fine with 8 or 9 knots, but that does not mean you don't want 12 or 14 knots at some times.

A boat that is a great live aboard is not necessarily the best for open ocean long range travel.

Both are fine boats in their own ways.

Good Luck.

Alfa Mike
alfamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:21 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
So the Alaskan and the Grand Banks Alaskan are two completely different vessels.
We are saying the same thing. As I'm sure you have, I've been on both branded vessels.

The question for the OP, are you referring to a Grand Alaskan made in the 2000s? If so, they are a marvelous vessel if (engine, heaters, AC) equipped correctly. They were built at the Tania yard in Taiwan, one of the best Chinese yards.

Even with twins, the ER space is much better than a similar sized Selene. Personally I'd much rather have two small twins vs one big Cummins, especially given the GAs layout. BTW, there is a nice looking DeFever 56 listed in South Carolina. It is very similar to the GA.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:06 PM   #10

Hi Again,

There is listing for a 56 (below) that just says "Alaskan".

My preference is a Selene 53, but only few available and none have the layout I want. I would consider the Alaskan (with the bigger engines), just not sure about the company's build quality was compared to the Selene during 2003-2009 time period.

I had looked at the Defever 56, nice boat, but has no stabilizers....

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...g#.W6gt3CIT-M8
Old 09-24-2018, 08:20 AM   #11
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Selene is still in business. To me that is a huge plus and would be the factor that would determine my choice between the two.

By the way you can "try before you buy" via chartering a 53 Selene from Chitwood Charters in Sarasota.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:55 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Hi Again,

There is listing for a 56 (below) that just says "Alaskan".

My preference is a Selene 53, but only few available and none have the layout I want. I would consider the Alaskan (with the bigger engines), just not sure about the company's build quality was compared to the Selene during 2003-2009 time period.

I had looked at the Defever 56, nice boat, but has no stabilizers....

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...g#.W6gt3CIT-M8
About 15 years ago a number (6 to 10?) of FRP hulls were made based upon a design by Art DeFever. Various US yards took these hulls and built them to client specs. The lengths varied, normally around 60 feet plus or minus. They were called Alaskans in all cases I know of. Fit and finish were quite high and layouts varied.

The 56 DeFever without stabilizers seems pretty nice otherwise. I have priced out stabilizers for that specific vessel. We are awaiting information on a West Coast vessel so have cooled our jets. The 56 is very well laid out and finished. Worth a look if down that way.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:59 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Selene is still in business. To me that is a huge plus and would be the factor that would determine my choice between the two.
So is Alaskan.

https://www.seattleyachts.com/New-Al...chts-For-Sale/
Old 09-24-2018, 10:17 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Right you are Menzies. Peter Whiting who has posted on TF could add some insight to the latest re-incarnation of the Alaskan brand. He is a real pro and fine gentleman.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:56 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Usually there is a big difference between someone buying the brand vs buying the company..

So are they are providing support for the old models... schematics, parts lists, drawings, electrical diagrams, owners manuals etc etc?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 09-24-2018, 04:26 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Georgia
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 41EU
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Right you are Menzies. Peter Whiting who has posted on TF could add some insight to the latest re-incarnation of the Alaskan brand. He is a real pro and fine gentleman.
You are right, Peter is a good man. Seattle Yachts has announced two new models of Alaskan Yachts at this time; the 66 Mk II and the 57 Mk II. The 66 will be built first.
mcboatface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:28 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Usually there is a big difference between someone buying the brand vs buying the company..

So are they are providing support for the old models... schematics, parts lists, drawings, electrical diagrams, owners manuals etc etc?
Here's the thing. Apart from the hull and woodwork, everything on a boat is manufactured by a third party. Whether the boat manufacturer is in business or not is mostly immaterial IMO.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:33 PM   #18
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Here's the thing. Apart from the hull and woodwork, everything on a boat is manufactured by a third party. Whether the boat manufacturer is in business or not is mostly immaterial IMO.

Not sure how many boat companies actually own the shipyard that builds them. Nordic Tug and American Tug are two that I can think of around here. Many companies contract with yards to build their boats.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Georgia
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 41EU
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Not sure how many boat companies actually own the shipyard that builds them. Nordic Tug and American Tug are two that I can think of around here. Many companies contract with yards to build their boats.
And Grand Banks/Palm Beach Motor Yachts. They own both the yard in Malaysia and the one in Australia. Although not in the PNW

Most of the European brands of motor yachts also own and build in their own facilities.
mcboatface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:49 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
No, that's not "the thing" at all. "The thing" is the ability to support owners of the boats per all the items I listed. Look how many threads we have here of owners of no longer supported brands looking for all that information.

I was so grateful I bought a Hatteras for those very reasons. Between the factory and the spin off of the parts department (Sam's Marine) I had support for a 30 year old boat that was virtually equal to a new boat.

Tags
alaskan 56, selene 53