Selene 47 opinions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unless you are family or very tight with almost any current boat owner, you are not likely to get much in the way of bad press.

From another place and time;
“The difficulty you have in trying to assess any vessel such as (X) or others is that owners are reluctant to tell the truth about their experiences for fear of effecting the value of their own vessels.

This was certainly the case I experienced with (my brand) and I have been astounded at how many people I subsequently found out were also unhappy owners, when it was too late.

I recently met a fellow who was trying to sell his boat. It was only after he sold it, did he tell me about all the problems he had.”

Not to quibble, but this is not so. Howard Chen has built many Selenes on spec over the years. I've been on three.

That's probably true, a fact of which I was unaware. My experience is with east coast boats, and my understanding was based on that, so I stand corrected. Thanks for keeping me honest! :)

Selenes or Solos seem to have a really good rep in the marketplace. Owners of these boats IMHO put above average hours and use on these boats. I have no experience nor have I ever been aboard one but if they tickled my fancy I would really look at these boats.
As mentioned, every boat type line has some issues but owners (at least on TF) seem very satisfied. The usual survey and engine oil analysis still applies. If your going coastal, why pay for deep water capabilities that will be more of a nuisance than an asset?

Its been brought to my attention there were 2 totally different hull designs one was "deep hull" design and the other was ??? .
Is anyone aware why this new "deep hull" design was necessary and what year it came into production ??

Not an issue with 47's, the 49 is a the newer version and has the deep hull. A redesign by Howard Chen to provide a bit more headroom in the ER. Then he redesigned the 53/55 hulls to accomplish the same.

Ive looked in many 43/47 and its amazing the difference of each boat. If the maintenance has been kept up and a owner took care of her, you should be happy with it. Just do your part with a really good survey and pick the owners brain if at all possible.

Good luck.

Back to the OP.

You really need to look at your boating plans.

Yes, the Selene is a great boat, but one which you are going to pay a premium for.

Does your boating plans mean that you will get a return on that premium?

I looked at 55+ Nordhavns initially because I wanted to do an Atlantic crossing with my three boating brothers (the experience of a lifetime). Then realized that was a one-off trip (and would mean paying to being her back). After thinking long and hard about the boating I would do long term, I re-targeted my search.

I looked at a couple of Selenes (one in Fort Pierce and one in Southport NC), neither of which met my needs in the end (I can explain in detail if wanted).

I made an offer on a Seahorse 52, which failed survey. Discussed on here previously. Then I found the Alaskan and was sold on many aspects that met my needs and wants (though really influenced by the power plant). Those plans include the Panama Canal, Sea of Cortez and North West/Alaska. So not simple, coastal cruising by any means.

So my thinking is - don't necessarily buy into the high quality of the vessel if you will never use the majority of those quality aspects. You may find models that give you more of what you really need based on your plans.

However, if the Selene does match your plans, short, medium and longer term, then absolutely go for it! It is a quality design and build - and why I looked at them along with Nordhavns in the first place!

Last edited:
Back to the OP.

You really need to look at your boating plans.

Yes, the Selene is a great boat, but one which you are going to pay a premium for.

Does your boating plans mean that you will get a return on that premium?

I looked at 55+ Nordhavns initially because I wanted to do an Atlantic crossing with my three boating brothers (the experience of a lifetime). Then realized that was a one-off trip (and would mean paying to being her back). After thinking long and hard about the boating I would do long term, I re-targeted my search.

I looked at a couple of Selenes (one in Fort Pierce and one in Southport NC), neither of which met my needs in the end (I can explain in detail if wanted).

I made an offer on a Seahorse 52, which failed survey. Discussed on here previously. Then I found the Alaskan and was sold on many aspects that met my needs and wants (though really influenced by the power plant). Those plans include the Panama Canal, Sea of Cortez and North West/Alaska. So not simple, coastal cruising by any means.

So my thinking is - don't necessarily buy into the high quality of the vessel if you will never use the majority of those quality aspects. You may find models that give you more of what you really need based on your plans.

However, if the Selene does match your plans, short, medium and longer term, then absolutely go for it! It is a quality design and build - and why I looked at them along with Nordhavns in the first place!

Thanks menzies

It would be fantastic to pick and choose boats as one can do in America but here in little Australia and I mean little our choice is massively limited to a few good boats a year and some years nothing reaches the market . The Seline is about as big as I can comfortable go single handed .Its her shear volume that makes me think big is better when it comes to coastal travel .The sale price is very realistic for what available but dont tell the owner or broker that

Thanks menzies

It would be fantastic to pick and choose boats as one can do in America but here in little Australia and I mean little our choice is massively limited to a few good boats a year and some years nothing reaches the market . The Seline is about as big as I can comfortable go single handed .Its her shear volume that makes me think big is better when it comes to coastal travel .The sale price is very realistic for what available but dont tell the owner or broker that

I get that. But the old adage about houses (location, location, location) does not hold true about boats, since they are very mobile. Don't fall in love with a boat, there are many more of that exact same build and they can be moved!

When you list your wants in a boat does she check them all off? Sometimes the wants may not look that important but later on may mean you either love or hate the boat you bought.

For example - does the guest cabin have a queen or twin bunks. Might not seem important now, but after you and your wife have your first few guests on board your thinking may change!

Do you REALLY, deep in your gut, want twin engines? Be careful compromising here if you do.

And, of course, there are lots of other needs, wants, and trade offs.

Good luck in your decision!

BTW, the listing you linked to said that this Selene was semi-displacement, but with a draft of over 5', I very very much question that!

Last edited:
Gaston,
If your plans are to cruise the Australian coast then this is the style of boat you should be interested in. Coming north you are limited in harbour entrances and especially NSW have a few bar crossings or stay at sea.eg, my last trip north was from Hobart and only 2 stops, Wine Glass bay and Eden. Final stop Mooloolaba ( Minor stop in Sydney to pick up 2000 lts of fuel from the bunker barge).
With bow and stern thrusters she will be an easy single hander.
I know in Australia the suitable boats are fewer but all in all there are still plenty to pick from. If the Selene is ok on the pocket then it is probably a good choice.
If on the other hand you are staying in the confines of Sydney Harbour / Pittwater then a lighter builts style of boat would be more in line and the choice is larger.

Can anyone tell me from personal experience how an UN-STABILIZED Selene handles in open ocean and/or coastal cruising...do they roll much without the benefit of active stabilizers or paravanes? We recently purchased a Selene 47' equipped with rolling chocks and I'd like to make the trip from Seattle to San Francisco.

Bow slap on the S 43 and S 47 ?

I am considering the advantages and disadvantages of a Selene 43/47 and a Nordic Tug 42. I've been on both, and have a good sense as to where each excels.

One issue that I'd like some feedback on is the amount of bow slap experienced while at anchor in a Selene 43 or Selene 47. From what I recall, the last time that I spent some time on an S 47 at anchor I spent a sleepless night listening to a half full water tank sloshing around underneath the bed in the front cabin. Is that standard experience on a S 47 ?

Thanks

I am considering the advantages and disadvantages of a Selene 43/47 and a Nordic Tug 42. I've been on both, and have a good sense as to where each excels.

One issue that I'd like some feedback on is the amount of bow slap experienced while at anchor in a Selene 43 or Selene 47. From what I recall, the last time that I spent some time on an S 47 at anchor I spent a sleepless night listening to a half full water tank sloshing around underneath the bed in the front cabin. Is that standard experience on a S 47 ?

Thanks

Never heard of this issue with 47s and I have a friend that has been to Alaska twice now.

As ASD mentioned above, dont recall bow slap or water tank sloshing ever being an issue. You must have been in a pretty rough anchorage.

We have a Selene 47 with the master cabin located forward. And, yes, a half-empty tank will slosh about. Our solution is to keep it full as a reserve tank and draw our water from the midship tank.

We have a Selene 47 with the master cabin located forward. And, yes, a half-empty tank will slosh about. Our solution is to keep it full as a reserve tank and draw our water from the midship tank.

Isn’t there a gravity drain crossover that permits the full forward tank to be emptied into mid ship location when main tank below 1/3 or so? Or at worst pumped aft so water bed sounds are muted?

Back
Top Bottom