Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-06-2018, 09:31 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Sabre602's Avatar
 
City: NW Washington State
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 329
Seeking recommendations for service, Blaine-Bellingham area

The Admiral and I just returned from a wonderful week in the islands, capped off by the big hullabaloo party at Squalicum Harbor in B'ham for the 4th before returning to Blaine this afternoon. We had a great time.

My sensitive ears, however, are picking up new sounds...intermittent thump-like vibrations and a whining that I didn't hear before. The old Kingfisher is a retired fishing boat with a mile-long prop shaft hidden in her keel (the Lehman 120 lives under the pilot house). While I do almost all maintenance myself, I want expert consultation on her drive system, from the transmission to the prop.

I'd like your suggestions for local professional expertise. I liked the guys at Walsh (formerly Westman) in Blaine, but they haven't really done any work on Kingfisher. They're right here, of course....

I'm a working stiff so cost has to be, unfortunately, a consideration...but expertise trumps all. I have to be able to trust this old girl and I don't want to damage her with my inexperience.

Whatcha got? Thanks in advance!
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Anson & Donna

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:10 PM   #2
Guru
 
Ken E.'s Avatar
 
City: Bellingham WA
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre602 View Post
The Admiral and I just returned from a wonderful week in the islands, capped off by the big hullabaloo party at Squalicum Harbor in B'ham for the 4th before returning to Blaine this afternoon. We had a great time.

My sensitive ears, however, are picking up new sounds...intermittent thump-like vibrations and a whining that I didn't hear before. The old Kingfisher is a retired fishing boat with a mile-long prop shaft hidden in her keel (the Lehman 120 lives under the pilot house). While I do almost all maintenance myself, I want expert consultation on her drive system, from the transmission to the prop.

I'd like your suggestions for local professional expertise. I liked the guys at Walsh (formerly Westman) in Blaine, but they haven't really done any work on Kingfisher. They're right here, of course....

I'm a working stiff so cost has to be, unfortunately, a consideration...but expertise trumps all. I have to be able to trust this old girl and I don't want to damage her with my inexperience.

Whatcha got? Thanks in advance!
Seaview in Bellingham is very good on shaft alignment and drive gear. Tri County Diesel, across the street is also good. I have used both extensively.
__________________

Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:12 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Sabre602's Avatar
 
City: NW Washington State
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
Seaview in Bellingham is very good on shaft alignment and drive gear. Tri County Diesel, across the street is also good. I have used both extensively.
Thanks, Ken. I appreciate your help.
__________________
Anson & Donna

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:33 PM   #4
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre602 View Post
The Admiral and I just returned from a wonderful week in the islands, capped off by the big hullabaloo party at Squalicum Harbor in B'ham for the 4th before returning to Blaine this afternoon. We had a great time.

I've no suggestions on the shaft but I have to say I'm glad you guys had such a good time.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:27 PM   #5
Guru
 
Rebel112r's Avatar
 
City: Birch bay wa
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 549
Check with Walsh Marine, right there in Blaine, they may be able to help you out.
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:11 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Sabre602's Avatar
 
City: NW Washington State
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I've no suggestions on the shaft but I have to say I'm glad you guys had such a good time.
Thanks! It was perfect weather at Sucia for Donna's first ever visit there. It was also a test cruise for our pup, Stella, a 9 month old rescue mutt, and she did wonderfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel112r View Post
Check with Walsh Marine, right there in Blaine, they may be able to help you out.
Yeah, I figure I'll talk to them. They were great to deal with for a haulout last fall.
__________________

__________________
Anson & Donna

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012