Old 02-11-2015, 02:22 PM   #41
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Hi Lobstah,
The advice you were given on boat handling was absolutely spot on, I used to 'practice out of site to get it right'.
However with a larger boat, advancing years and Commander in Chief with a sore shoulder for doing the ropework the time had come for me to fit one on our newly acquired Broom 42.
We bought a 95kg Vetus bow thruster off Ebay, fitted it and we also changed the control system from a single lever Morse control with separate bow thruster switch to a single lever Morse CH1700 series control with incorporated bow thruster control from Park at Hopkins-Carter Marine(very helpful commercial member on TF) making single handed operation child's play.
Absolutely brilliant set up and highly recommended.

I don't want to be cheeky or try and teach my granny to suck eggs.
When reversing a single screw boat I go astern dead slow, rudder amidships, to correct direction turn the rudder in the opposite direction, give a short 2/3 second bust ahead, centre the rudder and go slowly astern again, correct as necessary.
I hope this is helpful to you.

Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:00 PM   #42
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Backing singles screw vessels is not just a one "type" maneuver as many different boats handle completely differently...especially as the conditions become more demanding.

They can benefit from either kind of thruster.....if I had my druthers....I would still go bow thruster for a trawler type vessel. The large rudder will allow me to kick the stern and move it sideways, but the bow needs a lot of forward or reverse direction to get it to move on most of the single screw boats I have driven.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:14 PM   #43
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
RT,
The installation will entail the use of epoxy plus Fiber glass tube ( timber tubes are really hard to get right!!!!)
A bit of rib cutting and backing timber installation.
All in all not a difficult job.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #44
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
While still wary of them....I would think an external unit bow thruster might be a good application for a timber hull.

Not that epoxy can't work wonders.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:36 PM   #45
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Not a chance in hell mate.
Tunnels are a tried and proven way of putting in thrusters and for larger boats ,it would be a hell of a protrusion.
Who wants something hanging of the bow of their boat. I also think it could get a few wacks from the anchor or chain.
I have a steel shoe to protect the bow and keel so only think it would be a problem
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #46
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Laker View Post
They can be operated singly or jointly by a single integrated controller shaped like a boat. Twist the boat and you get pure rotation. Push the boat sideways and you get pure translation. Push the nose sideways to move the bow in that direction, and ditto for the stern.

All made by Sidepower.
I thought I'd seen it all but never have I seen a thruster control such as you have described. Neat!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:32 PM   #47
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. T "...timber tubes are really hard to get..." Now there's a defeatist attitude if I ever heard one. Ya gotta think outside the boxwood man.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:08 PM   #48
Guru

Another BT saved the day story. 2007 Broughton ILs. PNW. Single motor blows up and 52 foot fish boat comes to tow. He is in a hurry to make 5 hour tow before sunset. I barley get bow line secured he takes of full boar and tows me dead on to mid ship of only other boat anchored anywhere near. I run down my wide side deck to helm and lean on the thruster. Result a barely glancing blow to the bow rail avoiding a full on collision. Glory be the BT and the wide decks. If I had twins a very different story. So a big vote for the BT wide side decks and twin motors based on my real life experience..
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:54 AM   #49
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Tidahapah.
Sheesh, aboriginal Australians have been using wooden tubes for years !
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:33 AM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Backing singles screw vessels is not just a one "type" maneuver as many different boats handle completely differently...especially as the conditions become more demanding.

They can benefit from either kind of thruster.....if I had my druthers....I would still go bow thruster for a trawler type vessel. The large rudder will allow me to kick the stern and move it sideways, but the bow needs a lot of forward or reverse direction to get it to move on most of the single screw boats I have driven.
I would agree about preferring a bow thruster. However mine had a stern thruster when I bought it and I have gotten quite used to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5078.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	37328  
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:04 AM   #51
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I would agree about preferring a bow thruster. However mine had a stern thruster when I bought it and I have gotten quite used to it.
We have same setup, a hydraulic stern thruster. I have gotten used to it but its main issue is when we use it to move the stern to port, the boat seems to pivot and the bow moves starboard.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:35 AM   #52
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
I have gotten used to it but its main issue is when we use it to move the stern to port, the boat seems to pivot and the bow moves starboard.
????

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:58 AM   #53
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
We have same setup, a hydraulic stern thruster. I have gotten used to it but its main issue is when we use it to move the stern to port, the boat seems to pivot and the bow moves starboard.
Yes in a no wind, no current situation the boat will pivot about it's center.
I have no issue with that, its "what it does" and I have learned how to use that to my advantage.
Similar to how we use the "back to port" (or starboard) characteristic of a single screw boat. You learn how much it moves and use that in your planning.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:25 AM   #54

City: Palm Springs CA
Vessel Name: On The Rocks
Vessel Model: Gulf Star MKII
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
John(OTR), User feedback is useful, just what the OP needs. Are they Exturn brand units, how was the fitting process,(easy, tough, cost), did you need more battery, etc.

Yes, Exturn brand. If I recall correctly the cost for both thrusters with install was around 5 to 6 K. They would be an easy diy install in most situations as they only require drilling a hole (1 inch I think). In my case the bow was a little more complicated as a frp base had to be made. I chose 24 volt units for more power (OTR is 12). I wanted short battery cable runs so installed 2 Optima blue top 12V bats wired together to get 24V fore and aft.

http://www.yachtthruster.com/models-technical

Yachtthruster provides a complete package with every nut bolt etc. to complete the install. I chose to purchase batterys and cables locally.

I know people are concerned about hitting something with them but I really don't think it's a problem. On plane, the thruster is above the water line so no issue for speed demons. The units are super tough probably as tough as my hull. In a slow boat like mine if I hit something hard enough to hurt the thruster I would probably have knocked a hole in the hull anyway.
On The Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #55
Veteran Member

City: San Antonio, Boat is located in Corpus Christi
Vessel Name: Bluebonnet
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Constellation 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Actually, a bow thruster would be of even more help to a twin screw boat with one engine out then it is to a single screw boat.

I agree, I had two boats with twin screws and was never able to maneuver in marinas with on one engine running (tried several times...) - A tunnel bow thruster in my horizon...
Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:11 PM   #56
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Seen on a Nordic Tug at the recent boat show. Interesting take on a stern thruster.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:16 PM   #57
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
Seen on a Nordic Tug at the recent boat show. Interesting take on a stern thruster.
I've seen that on their site for the 49' model. It would be interesting to see what the internals look like. Was it a single or twin prop?
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:22 PM   #58
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Actually can't recall... I think dual.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:05 PM   #59
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Looks like it would be more efficient down low like that than the typical stern thruster with the tube bolted to the transom just below the water line, as ours is.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:53 PM   #60
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
I have had a bow thruster on a single. I currently have an externally mounted stern thruster...protected bolt on hydraulic. Makes no difference, either will 'git er done after you learn to use either.

Mule is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bow thrusters, thrusters