seeking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

myclady

I have sold my sailboat, my 7 th, and am looking to cruise and make transition to trawler, want fuel economy and seaworthiness,searching for 41-45 foot single engine , for Bahamas , islands, maybe a little more cant afford a krogen, selene etc,,, any thoughts on albin 43 with single engine for purpose?Anyone know what fuel economy would be like at 6knots, any other boats recommended under 100k.:banghead:

Check out the Pilgrim 40 for sale in Miami on Yachtworld......it has been on the market over a year, just dropped price. It has some nice electrical/refrigeration mods for cruising and a repower done recently. It would make a fine economical coastal/ Bahamas cruiser! 1984 Pilgrim Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I have no affiliation to this boat.

There were different mast configurations on the boats. On mine there is a tabernacle. Without any modification 2 people can lower it in about 5 min. If I were to want to do it frequently I would make a aft crutch and set up a tackle that would allow me to do it by myself, also in about 5 min time.

I suspect the motor sailor version is a little more difficult and would need to be pulled by a marina crew. I was a little taken by the brokers comments on the Erie Canals.

I like the version you have with the pilot house a lot better.

I have no affiliation to this boat.

I excitedly showed my wife this video. I'm so glad you posted this as the presentation on YW totally sucked. I was wanting to show my wife how cool these boats are, but the YW photos showed virtually nothing that added value, but this video did. I watched this boat come and go below my windows for years and always admired her zippiness with virtually no wake. I can attest to its stereo (first thing to be thrown overboard!)system, and all the beautiful young women on board, and that her captain wore a pretty cool tophat. I believe we will go take a look at her for ourselves.
I closed on the condo just last week and money just burns holes in my pocket. My dilemma is that I'm equally drawn to classic designs (bought a CSY 37' a few years ago, didn't take it out once, as just the idea of how long it was going to take to reach the Ocean from up the New River tired me, and have owned two sailboats, one built in 1928, and other 1959) and super fast boats like Cigarettes and Fountains that cruise over 60 mph. Had one for over a decade, and could leave my docks near Haulover and circumnavigate Elliott Key and back home on a full moon in the time a slow boat is just reaching Key Biscayne or go to Bimini and back in time slow boat is just half way there! Yes, I'm that jerk who blew past you at 80 mph in the dark on the water, and 155 mph on the Interstatee. Hello, what up?. If only this Pilgrim could cruise at least 30 mph!! I guess I could just tow my Hobie 15' with 90hp Yamaha behind like I did on the last single screw slow boat I lived aboard back in the early 90s. It's in the garage chomping at the bit. WHY did you put these thoughts in my head? Like classic looks sitting still, but mad fast when going!!! It's why I have a rocket AMG cabrio in the garage and a equally loved minivan in the driveway.:banghead:

Last edited:
Oh man, does the crew come with the boat?

I do not understand the reference to "Motorsailer". A Pilgrim 40 is not propelled by a sail. Some use a small sail as a steadying sail or at anchor. from comments on the owner's group it seems that the "sail" has little effect. The mast on a Pilgrim is used for mounting radar, lights, flag halyards, etc. Also on my boat the boom is part of a "crane" to handle my tender. I have an electric winch. Some Pilgrims have small flying bridges, as does mine. The boat can navigate the Erie Canal and the canal from the Hudson to Lake Champlain with the bridge on. It would be fine to eliminate the mast if need be. The running lights and radar could be mounted on the boat.

Blake, among many features that I enjoy about the Pilgrim the ability to make good speed while making no wake is one of my favorites! Take the run from St. Lucie Inlet in the ICW to Ft. Lauderdale. I can run at 7.5 Knots in the areas when there is no speed or wake regulation. Then when I hit a Slow or No Wake zone I pull back to 6 Knots and slip along just fine. An IDLE SPEED zone might be a problem if challenged, but as long as a boat is not making any wake most Law Enforcement looses interest. In a boat that could make 20 Knots the constant changing speed and having to really concentrate on conning the boat in the narrow often crowded ICW is a negative.........it's all about the ride!

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant to say fly bridge and not pilothouse. Not thinking today.

nothing wrong with single engine. Nothing wrong with dual either. The fuel to move the boat wont be much different if you keep it slow.

In the seize you contemplate aft cabin designs are very popular because of the added space. Consider moving away from sailboat design interior space limitations to those designs that take advantage of wider hull designs. You will use more fuel than with your sailboat regardless what you choose but fuel will not be the biggest part of your expense unless you never touch shore.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom