Seductive Cruising Books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Metafora

I am looking to this forum to help me in a seduction. My wife of a year is not of a boating background. She knows horses, not hulls. I am hopelessly in love with being on the water in anything larger than an innertube.

She enjoys our short trips thus far, but I am thinking longer ones up and down the eastern coast. The Maryland area would be nice for a week or two, I think.

Can anyone suggest books by cruisers that would make the whole adventure so deliciously exciting, so blissful, so joyous my dear wife will beg me to cast off from the dock and never return?

You get the idea. *

Many thanks.

George

METAFORA

Sabre 36

Charleston, SC

Maybe start with a search for coffee table photography kinds of books of scenic areas on the coast - ie, some book of photos of the Outer Banks, or New England Lighthouses, or Maine Coast, etc.
And try to make the boat comfortable for her.
Or just get her drunk one night, let her fall asleep below decks and when she wakes up you guys will be miles from home already. ;)

The problem with most cruising books is that they tend to focus on the "adventure" part of cruising, which means the bad parts, storms, dragging anchors, sinkings etc. Scary stuff for a newbie, but we all know that stuff hardly ever happens if you know what you are doing. Well, maybe the dragging happens.

Metafora wrote:

Can anyone suggest books by cruisers that would make the whole adventure so deliciously exciting, so blissful, so joyous my dear wife will beg me to cast off from the dock and never return?

*I'm assuming you mean with her on board.

Conrad wrote:Metafora wrote:

*I'm assuming you mean with her on board.

haha- good one!

The best thing would be to find some good blogs of folks cruising right now and read them...they tend to be pretty fun and current reading.

Metafora wrote:

You get the idea. *

Many thanks.

*George

METAFORA

Sabre 36

Charleston, SC
*George, a suggestion not about cruising books, but about cruising in general. *You live in a great cruising area. *You have a boat with the speed to open up a wide variety of destinations. *If you haven't, why not try some short 3 or 4 day cruisies to areas within an easy days run of Charleston. *Don't spend all the time running. *Get in early, and leave a great amount of time for exploring. *To the South of you about 60 or so miles is Beaufort. *It is a wonderful weekend destination. *About 35 miles farther is Hilton Head, and another 20 or so miles is Savannah. *All great stops, and good for a day or two. *To the North is Georgetown and the beaufiful Wacammaw River. *Bucks Port Landing and Restaurant is being refurbished. *

Make certain that everything is planned on these first cruises. *Surprises are not good for neophites. *Just make certain that your wife id getting to do some things she enjoys. *Find some great restaurants, and make everything as easy as possible. *Then you can slowly introduce here to the joys of anchoring in a quiet cove. *Having some wine with the sun setting while wildlife is all around to something special indeed.

Please let us know how you are getting on with this. *

As one who is new to this forum (old to another one) I am delighted by the help offers and the humor!

Conrad's question - yes with her on board or at least a reasonable likeness.

Don's helpful thoughts - we have done Hilton Head for the 4th last summer. A delightful trip over all, only drawback was one water pump breaking down and needing to be replaced. The extra days in Hilton Head were fun though. And we spent the weekend of the wooden boat show in Georgetown and that was very enjoyable. So her two first overnights have been very positive.

I am headed to CT. this coming week to look at a 46' Huckins. I grew up (Anne might question if I've ever grown up) on a Huckins and have a mild (Anne would drop "mild") obsession with them and this one is affordable and seems a good boat. Should this work out we will have the fun of bringing her home when it warms up a bit. That voyage both excites her and worries her (not all bad feelings). She also telecommutes and is concerned about access along the way. I've posted in another section here for info on that process and am getting very helpful advice.

Don, you have the larger version on what I have. Mine is a 36 hardtop express. Sabre builds a wonderful boat! But the larger ones are out of my price range.

Thanks, one and all, for your thoughts.

George

METAFORA
Sabre 36
Charleston, SC

Metafora wrote:I am headed to CT. this coming week to look at a 46' Huckins. I grew up (Anne might question if I've ever grown up) on a Huckins and have a mild (Anne would drop "mild") obsession with them and this one is affordable and seems a good boat. Should this work out we will have the fun of bringing her home when it warms up a bit. That voyage both excites her and worries her (not all bad feelings). She also telecommutes and is concerned about access along the way. I've posted in another section here for info on that process and am getting very helpful advice.

George

METAFORA
Sabre 36
Charleston, SC
*George,*

Whenever you start your trip down take a few days out as you pass Oriental NC heading for Adams Creek on the ICW to divert about 15 miles up the Neuse River to New Bern NC.*

Come stay with the crowd at the New Bern Grand Marina right in down town New Bern NC.* We have a great downtown with a lot of nice places to eat, plenty of arts and crafts stores*and if you get in on Friday there is a Deck Party at the Hilton every Friday evening starting sometime in April and Jazz on the Trent out on the Deck at the Hilton every Sunday evening as well. This is a spot that some folks make twice a year as they take the trip you are talking about, once going North and once on their return south.

Come by we need the money.
biggrin.gif

George, a trip down from Connicut would be a great adventure. *If possible, stopping off on the Chesapeake Bay for a week or 2 would be wonderful. *There is a small group of Sabre power yachts forming a group up there. *I'm sure that Nate would even assist a former Sabre owner when you get to the Bay. *We love the Chesapeake, and get up there at every opportunity.

When I find the group address, I will send you a private e-mail. *YOu can check the top right corner under your sign in box to see if it has arrived.

sorry dup post

-- Edited by psneeld on Saturday 11th of February 2012 01:44:23 PM

I agree with the post about books sometimes not being the fairy tale cruise. Sometimes having the right "old timer" with a great story telling ability and right personality over for a beer now and then and including her in the spinning of sea tales .... just beware if he/she starts off with "this is a no shi* sea story"...especially if they have "service" tatoos... :)

The next best thing is keep the short cruises fun and without any "big deals"...like trying to dock at my marina on a moon tide and the dockmaster gives you an inside slip!!!

http://s1126.photobucket.com/albums/l601/psneeld/?action=view&current=TiderippingII-1.mp4

Latitudes and Attitudes Magazine.

And also what JD said. New Bern and Oriental are VERY "boating seductive" with a healthy dose of quiet romance. We love it there.

Tom-

Please identify where that video was taken. I want to avoid that hell-hole at all costs! And I thought the Charleston currents were bad...

Metafora wrote:
Please identify where that video was taken. I want to avoid that hell-hole at all costs! And I thought the Charleston currents were bad...
*It's typical of some*New Jersey marinas that are located along/near the ICW...it's not always*that bad...that was on a new moon.

Try towing a disabled boat into there and putting it in it's slip!!!* :)

GonzoF1 wrote:

And also what JD said. New Bern and Oriental are VERY "boating seductive" with a healthy dose of quiet romance. We love it there.

Tom-
*Right up from Oriental is Bellhaven...have always enjoyed my stops there...once had*the "family dinner" at the one marina in the old plantation house... was very nice

psneeld wrote:
I agree with the post about books sometimes not being the fairy tale cruise. Sometimes having the right "old timer" with a great story telling ability and right personality over for a beer now and then and including her in the spinning of sea tales .... just beware if he/she starts off with "this is a no shi* sea story"...especially if they have "service" tatoos... :)

The next best thing is keep the short cruises fun and without any "big deals"...like trying to dock at my marina on a moon tide and the dockmaster gives you an inside slip!!!

http://s1126.photobucket.com/albums/l601/psneeld/?action=view&current=TiderippingII-1.mp4
*I can certainly understand why the place is almost empty!

Conrad wrote:psneeld wrote:

*I can certainly understand why the place is almost empty!

*Normally it is much more..but not quite full.* The pic was in*real late fall*I think so the boats were mostly pulled for the season.l* It's now under new management so it may fill up.* Discussing the possibility of a breawall but every other marina fill in with sand...this stay 20 feet deep in all but a few spots.

psneeld wrote:GonzoF1 wrote:

Tom-
*Right up from Oriental is Bellhaven...have always enjoyed my stops there...once had*the "family dinner" at the one marina in the old plantation house... was very nice

*That would be River Forest Marina.*I'm not sure the dinners exist there anymore.*Bellhaven is a very small country town.* The marina right down from River Forest, Belhaven Waterway Marina is a neat place and we plan on being there at least one night this summer heading for Manteo on the 4th of July.* But if you stay at Belhaven Waterway just walk across the street to the little shed with the picnic tables out under the tree*and get a ham biscuit.* As they say down here "it will make your tongue smack your brains out".

She might enjoy one of the cruising guides which cover your area, there are a lot of blogs out there which are interesting here is one on the great loop that I enjoy. http://www.integritycruise.com/
Maybe attend one of the MTOA or similar rendezvous.
Good luck
Steve W

Cruising Guide to Coastal North and South Carolina.* Clairborne Young wrote one for NC and one for SC.* I read them over and over as I plan our cruises.* I love Lat&Atts for the long term cruisers' cruising.

I am personally on a mission of finding the best oysters on the east coast!

Find something that your wife enjoys. Whether it's history, wine, oysters, beaches, lighthouses.* Find something she loves, and incorporate that into EVERY cruise.* The whole cruise doesn't have to be "about" her passion, but include at least one port that does.* Make short runs, 4-6 hours.* Arrive early enough to get settled in, shower and go out to a niice dinner in whatever town you are in.* Make it as much about the destination as the cruising to get there.* Ask her if she wants to learn about navigation so that she will start looking at charts.* From charts she'll start looking at ports.* From ports she'll start looking at islands.* Before you know it, you'll be in Bimini.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Helpful?

**** Sorry - one more thought....if she doesn't want to be first mate, don't force it.* Not all wives want to be that involved.* But, if she wants to be first mate, take the time to teach her about lines and knots and current.* And, no yelling.

-- Edited by Besslb on Saturday 11th of February 2012 05:13:25 PM

RE: That video....

Good Lord- people really keep their boat in that marina? No way would I stay there!! Talk about currents!!!!!

Woodsong wrote:
RE: That video....

Good Lord- people really keep their boat in that marina? No way would I stay there!! Talk about currents!!!!!
*Anyone venture to guess the velocity of the current in the video?* I love to hear what even "experienced cruisers" guess...he...he..he

Back to cruising books...

http://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Chesapeake-Gunkholers-William-Shellenberger/dp/0071363718

I had this years ago and it was not your typical cruising guide as I remember...more "book" flavor.* If you can peruse a copy someplace it might be something like you want...a little fact/a little personal.

Not a book, but a two DVD set of a couple cruising from Norfolk, VA to Miami, FL. I've watched it dozens of times.

http://www.snowbirders.net/

3rd%20Edition%20Disks%20-%20%20Lt%20Cream%20288%20x%20372.jpg

I like the suggestions of the blogs from other cruisers. And of course, there are several commercial cruising guides.

-- Edited by rwidman on Saturday 11th of February 2012 06:30:04 PM

-- Edited by rwidman on Saturday 11th of February 2012 06:30:47 PM

Maybe while you're in CT you can run up to Boston to see the Boat Show this week (New England Boat Show).
And if you need a cruising partner this summer, I may be heading south on my boat from Boston to Carolinas.

Besslb wrote:
Cruising Guide to Coastal North and South Carolina.* Clairborne Young wrote one for NC and one for SC.* I read them over and over as I plan our cruises.* I love Lat&Atts for the long term cruisers' cruising.

I am personally on a mission of finding the best oysters on the east coast!

Find something that your wife enjoys. Whether it's history, wine, oysters, beaches, lighthouses.* Find something she loves, and incorporate that into EVERY cruise.* The whole cruise doesn't have to be "about" her passion, but include at least one port that does.* Make short runs, 4-6 hours.* Arrive early enough to get settled in, shower and go out to a niice dinner in whatever town you are in.* Make it as much about the destination as the cruising to get there.* Ask her if she wants to learn about navigation so that she will start looking at charts.* From charts she'll start looking at ports.* From ports she'll start looking at islands.* Before you know it, you'll be in Bimini.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Helpful?

**** Sorry - one more thought....if she doesn't want to be first mate, don't force it.* Not all wives want to be that involved.* But, if she wants to be first mate, take the time to teach her about lines and knots and current.* And, no yelling.

-- Edited by Besslb on Saturday 11th of February 2012 05:13:25 PM
*Tom, are you listening here?

How do you think we got to this point?!?!

I did just as she described. THAT point.

Moonstruck wrote:
*What point?
*Don,* I was the one that came home and said "honey, let's get a boat".** Tom in his infinite wisdom didn't ask me if I was sure!*
biggrin.gif

But in our few short years, we have witnessed quite a few couples that don't work as well as we do.* My recommendations are from observations only!

-- Edited by Besslb on Saturday 11th of February 2012 07:48:36 PM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom