Old 01-13-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Security (other than weapons)

This was raised in another thread and I thought worthy of discussion. Some yachts go to a great deal of trouble to put in good security systems. The availability, choices and prices have dropped. Yet, in the 30' to 70' range which is where most here are, you see very little.

I'm not just talking cameras. What about intrusion detection? Sirens, even to the point of being unbearable and chasing away? Lights, even to the point of those that are strong enough to scare away and/or incapacitate? Smoke, too thick to go through? Or just something to alert you? Many houses have some form of "burglar alarm" but not many boats it seems in the 30-70' size range. And this isn't to say cameras aren't part of it. Even cameras and speakers so you can speak to the intruder.

I see people comment worried about theft, talking about needing weapons to fight potential intruders, but what is being done to prevent intruders.

And why is more not being done?

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
We usually leave the doors unlocked too. You have to pay people to steal the big boats. Repairs to the doors cost more than the TVs that crackheads will steal. Let em have em.
House are a total different story as those shithead thieves don't worry about drowning. Easy to drive in-easy to drive away. Boats take more effort than most scumbags will apply. Thats also why most never learned to swim. I like how they pay good money for tattoos on their necks so they're easier to identity.
You know its rare one who will enter a structure, car or boat that has open doors and windows, I guess they figure it's a trap?

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:43 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
We usually leave the doors unlocked too...
We never lock the doors. We hoist the dinghy every night and shut the transom door. Saloon doors are usually open for ventilation. I do have a baseball bat and wasp spray by the side of the bed.

We tried motion sensors tied to lights. Birds were an issue and even after trying to narrow the sensors beam width, so the water wouldn't set them off, we still had to many false positives.

A good option that friends had installed, was a panic button tied to lights and a very loud siren. They located the buttons in the master and pilot house.

For us the best deterrent has been Morgan. People who case out boats usually don't pick one with a dog. Morgan wouldn't hurt a flea but they don't know that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 425ac.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	36363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 436a.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	36364  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:05 PM   #4
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
And why is more not being done?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
Repairs to the doors cost more than the TVs that crackheads will steal. Let em have em.
I do absolutely nothing to prevent intruders while away from the boat. Doors and hatches are left unlocked intentionally for the reason stated by PK above. I can attest 1st hand the expense a crowbar or screw driver will do to any boat on this forum's hatches, doors or windows. My fathers 5 year old houseboat was securely locked with curtains drawn when burglarized 30 years ago, total value of the damage done to the boat gaining access was 10-15 times the new replacement value of items stolen. It also took nearly three months to have the damage repaired, the items where replaced in less than an hour of shopping.

Insurance will cover any loss incurred above the deductible. My keys are left aboard too, all I ask is if any forum members take my boat out in my absence they at least leave a note on the steering wheel reminding me to restock the fridge and fill the fuel tank before I leave the marina

Intruder prevention while aboard is outside the parameters BandB laid out for this thread.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Two words: Guard slugs!

Old 01-13-2015, 07:04 PM   #6
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Based on the thread title...everything is a weapon with enough of the proper training.

It is a defensive plan that incorporates human input and equipment to provide the best possible defense.

For those that have never had any of this kind of training....the several thousand it costs by real experts will provide a foundation and probably written guidelines for several different scenarios that may come your way while on your boat.

An NRA membership, basic military training, and a big male ego won't cut it in real life.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:26 PM   #7
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
We cruise with our dog, Water.

We we rescued her as a pup, Lab Rescue told us she was pure lab and the runt of the litter, that neither of her parents were over 50 lbs. Well, now she is 85 lbs and ripped like a linebacker. She has a big, blocky, anvil shaped head and can crush branches the size of your calf in one or two bites.

Lots of people think she has pit bull in her, and though I hate to think that she scares people, I think they may be right. She is the most loyal and smartest dog I have ever owned. She would NEVER hurt anyone in her family, in that way she is exactly like a big goofy lab.

I'm sure she wouldn't hurt a stranger unless she felt threatened. In my experience most dogs won't attack unless they are really scared. But more and more I think she would defend her space. I'm sure she would defend her kids and I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of her wrath.

When we were in the Bahamas a few weeks ago I called a local bonefish guide to set up a charter. We were down at the beach when he came by the boat, so he stepped on board to leave a note. Water was closed up in the cabin. His quote "I didn't leave a note mon...I got myself off dot boat as fast as I could."

I've never admired or wanted any sort of aggressive breed, and I've always trained dogs to be sweet and friendly to everyone. But in some ways it is kind of nice that strangers respect her space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	032.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	36372  
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:27 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Based on the thread title...everything is a weapon with enough of the proper training.

It is a defensive plan that incorporates human input and equipment to provide the best possible defense.

For those that have never had any of this kind of training....the several thousand it costs by real experts will provide a foundation and probably written guidelines for several different scenarios that may come your way while on your boat.

An NRA membership, basic military training, and a big male ego won't cut it in real life.
You're correct in that the things I'm talking about are defensive weapons. I'm rather amazed at the responses so far. Perhaps it's based on their cruising grounds and not trips to the Caribbean or Mexico or elsewhere.

It's not difficult today to set up so you're aware of anyone boarding the boat, whether you're there or not. Text message alerts are simple. Cams rather the same. In fact the same equipment can be used for monitoring the boat and it's systems and for security. We certainly value notification if water is in the bilge or if the electric has gone off

As defensive weapons, lights or sirens or smoke can be quite effective. There are top security companies using those and combinations to protect shipping vessels in areas of heavy piracy. There are actually military versions of searchlights. But, yes, it is a weapon to use these items to ward off trouble.

My title for the thread probably should have read "Other than gunsor knives" to be technically more accurate.

One item mentioned above was put the dinghy back up. I'm amazed at the number of dinghies and outboards stolen as they sit beside the boat while most of those boats have good davit or crane systems.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:47 PM   #9
Guru

Dogs are early warning...like infra red...past that they are easily bypassed with a milkbone or something lethal.

While it's true that a criminal might bypass a house or boat with a dog on it...I would never bet life or limb on it.

The 2 biggest defenses against crime are avoid likely areas or opportunities...luck of the draw.

Once the crime starts...only extensive training and equipment can guarantee getting past that phase.

While in the "crime" phase...you are playing the world's highest stakes poker game.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:08 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
..I'm rather amazed at the responses so far. Perhaps it's based on their cruising grounds and not trips to the Caribbean or Mexico or elsewhere....
I think a lot of it is how you present and carry yourself, both on your boat and on land - not necessarily where you cruise. Most states and cities have areas that you wouldn't go into at certain times. I think it's the same when you cruise, so we try to be smart on where we anchor or dock as well as when we're on/off the boat. After 47 different countries/territories, on a boat less <43", with just the 2 of us, we've never been broken into or had boarders (not that we know of anyway)
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:47 PM   #11
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
I also leave doors unlocked and keys in when I'm not on the boat. Those beautiful teak doors would be no match for a pry bar and very hard to replace or have properly repaired. We have nothing on the boat that cant be easily replaced.

When we're on the boat it's a different story. At our mooring I'm not worried, but at a dock while traveling I always lock the doors at night. Sure they won't stop a pry bar any better than when we're not there, but being a light sleeper I should at least hear them.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:10 PM   #12
Guru

To all those of you who leave the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition, how does your insurer feel about that?
Old 01-13-2015, 10:17 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
To all those of you who leave the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition, how does your insurer feel about that?
Funny that they ask about additional anti-theft stuff but don't address those specifically.

Though in my mind you are not "mitigating" possible theft therefore negligent and partially liable for the loss. Somewhat like taking no action during a storm to protect property from damage.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:21 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Funny that they ask about additional anti-theft stuff but don't address those specifically.

Though in my mind you are not "mitigating" possible theft therefore negligent and partially liable for the loss. Somewhat like taking no action during a storm to protect property from damage.
I think they assume, but I sure bet in the event of a claim they'd ask. Would probably pay anyway but perhaps give them a negotiating tool or cause for delay.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:24 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
I think they assume, but I sure bet in the event of a claim they'd ask. Would probably pay anyway but perhaps give them a negotiating tool or cause for delay.
Or the ultimate...drop you....then try to get reasonable insurance from anyone else....ouch!
Old 01-13-2015, 10:34 PM   #16
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
We also do not lock the boat. What can be taken is not worth the damage. We have installed a Boatnanny cell phone security system that has motion, sound, bilge, temperatures, AC and Dc which sends a text messages to 3 phone/e mails. Pricy but worth peace of mind.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:45 PM   #17
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
We keep our steel doors locked when absent or gone to bed.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:49 PM   #18
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
I can care less how they feel. It's a business transaction, leave the feelings at home.

How many cars are stolen daily that are unlocked with the keys in the ignition? Never heard of a claim denied yet, auto or yacht, though I'm sure there has been a few somewhere somebody can quote.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:22 PM   #19
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
I hadn't considered this until today. Turns out we are already loaded....Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421209319.724838.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	36376

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 01-14-2015, 06:38 AM   #20
FF
Guru

The biggest hassle is places like NJ where the concept is

If you Cant Steal it DESTROY IT!

In NYC the solution is Show Sh**.

The thieves will be looking for the biggest fast EZ money target , so leaving a few items of crap, uncoiled messy lines , pug ugly fenders on deck , may not be fun for dock mates , but usually will convince a thief yours is a less desirable target.

A simple wired door may from any alarm supply can turn on exterior lights and a noise if desired.

Leave the door unlocked , and install a Mace Repellant setup , trip wire works,

but electric , with delay is better should you forget to disarm the system...

FF is offline   Reply With Quote