Old 01-14-2015, 07:17 AM   #21
Guru

I looked into the several alarm systems available for boats when I bought my boat back in '10. I decided to skip all these systems as they were re-active, they notified you of an intrusion after it happened or the perp was standing on your boat about to enter. Either case it is to late. You may get a loud siren but will a dock mate investigate, and if they do you have just put them in danger. If the alarm system notifies you via cell phone do you really think the perp will stay around long enough for you to contact the police and wait around long enough for the police to arrive?

While on the boat the situation is very different. You don't want to get hurt, so protecting life and limb is more important than protecting stuff.
psneeld sumed it up nicely: "Once the crime starts...only extensive training and equipment can guarantee getting past that phase.
While in the "crime" phase...you are playing the world's highest stakes poker game.

So make it easier for the perp to go somewhere else. A dog can't hurt. A panic button can't either. Insurance for the rest. Don't know about RT Firefly's guard slugs though.

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:48 AM   #22
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
To all those of you who leave the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition, how does your insurer feel about that?
I don't lock anything either. And I never read my policy close enough to know if locking doors is a requirement.
I normally don't lock my house, I only lock my truck when I go to Walmart or park in a big city, and at home my truck key is in the cupholder with the truck unlocked in the driveway.

Where can I get some of those attack slugs?

Mystic,Ct
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:49 AM   #23
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
I too find this "I never lock my boat" theory rather odd. I get the convertible car analogy but I'm not sure it's apples to apples.

I can't imagine being the easiest boat on the pier to enter. Seems to me leaving some lights on, locking up and perhaps having an alarm light or warning sign on board, even if you don't actually have an alarm, would encourage a thief to move on to another, easier target. But to each his own.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:28 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
...It's not difficult today to set up so you're aware of anyone boarding the boat, whether you're there or not. Text message alerts are simple. Cams rather the same. In fact the same equipment can be used for monitoring the boat and it's systems and for security. We certainly value notification if water is in the bilge or if the electric has gone off...
I can tell we cruise differently but text alerts, cams maybe great in the US, foreign cities and marinas (from what I've been told) but parts of Mexico, Bahamas, Panama plus a lot of places in-between do not have cell coverage. So unless you carry a sat phone, when you're away from the boat....

What do you have for security when you're on your boat?
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:01 AM   #25

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
Security on my boat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	security.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	36385  
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:22 AM   #26
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. jl. "...Where can I get some of those attack slugs?..." Well, slugs can be found under most any cabbage leaf BUT, and it's a BIG but...The secret is all in the diet and training.
There are several schools of thought regarding training regimes. Hunt and seek, lie in wait, active scanning and drop and drop to name a few. I am NOT going to tell you how "Arnold" (our personal attack slug-stealth (ASS)) has been conditioned as this is an open forum and I don't wish to compromise our security preparations but suffice to say, our ASS is quite able to protect our assets.
As with training regimes there is also some controversy regarding body armor...

Some claim an advantage in that the armor protects your ASS in the event of a direct frontal assault but Arnold seems to feel, and we agree, that such "protection" limits his speed and maneuverability.
I have the nagging feeling that I've already disclosed too much so Mr. jl., I'm afraid you'll have to research further on your own. As to diet, again, I do not wish to reveal too much. I'm sure you can appreciate my concerns...
Old 01-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #27
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I leave mine unlocked, with the keys hanging next to the helm. I figure the biggest risk is a fire on a nearby boat and it might be handy if someone could move my boat for me.

But maybe I'm pushing my luck and should get some ASS coverage.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:29 PM   #28

City: Mississippi
Ah ha RT - I have deduced your ASS plan - put them on the decks and any perp will slip and slide and break his neck
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:15 PM   #29
Guru

RTF.....Too funny
Mystic,Ct
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:20 PM   #30
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Quote:
To all those of you who leave the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition, how does your insurer feel about that?
In my opinion, I AM mitigating possible loss by leaving the doors unlocked. My boat is normally moored in a fairly busy waterway. Once someone has gone to the trouble to board my boat with the intention to steal, the carved solid teak doors will not be an issue for them. The way I look at it there is very little of any value to "take away" and they would take what they would take anyway. Repairing/replacing the wooden doors would probably be more difficult and/or expensive than replacing anything "portable". As far as stealing the boat is concerned, I really really think that is extremely unlikely. Then again, if someone boards with the intention to steal the boat, the lack of keys will be very little impediment. Once inside, they could take all the time they needed out of sight to get the engines started. I know I could do it without the keys in less than 5 minutes.

I'm sure a lot of my reasoning is colored by the fact that there is very little boat theft in the areas I normally cruise. If I cruised in a different area I might have a totally different perspective.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:25 PM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

What do you have for security when you're on your boat?
We lock and set alarms always, including perimeter alarms. In a high risk anchorage, we would keep share being on watch, but we'd prefer not to even anchor in such an area. Stepping on the boat one would be met with a Non-Lethal Deterrent. These come in three basic forms: Sirens, Lights, Smoke

I think we tend to overlook what is referred to as Non-Lethal Deterrents. While Petty Theft may not require them, high risk areas of piracy definitely would and all other situations are somewhere in between. But these non lethal deterrents are even what the USCG recommends in areas of risk and what cargo ships in high piracy areas are going to.

While we don't obsess about security, we will be boating in the Caribbean and other areas that have had incidents from theft to attacks to piracy. Now, honestly, the odds of being attacked are probably greater ashore and may well be higher walking along the streets at home. Still, we do feel better with security.

As to those who leave things unlocked and the keys handy, we don't fault them. I once owned a house right after college that when I got ready to sell it I had to get keys made since I'd long ago lost mine. But today I wouldn't leave it unlocked as I did then. And that isn't changed times, it's older and wiser me. There were plenty of thefts around the lake back then.

And this thread wasn't started to determine a right or wrong, anymore than we will with anchors. Simply to hear what others do. And in that regard it's working, especially with an entirely new concept I'd not considered, slugs. I must indicate however that several of those currently with us are not open to that idea.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:31 PM   #32
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
I too find this "I never lock my boat" theory rather odd. I get the convertible car analogy but I'm not sure it's apples to apples.

I can't imagine being the easiest boat on the pier to enter. Seems to me leaving some lights on, locking up and perhaps having an alarm light or warning sign on board, even if you don't actually have an alarm, would encourage a thief to move on to another, easier target. But to each his own.
Convertible cars. I remember my first. Everyone asked if I wasn't scared of it being broken into. I asked why? Their answer was the top. I then asked why in the world did they think a thief would get the equipment and go to the trouble of trying to cut through the top when it was so much easier just to break a window out.

As to the alarm signs, have you ever wondered how many of the homes with such signs, actually are alarmed? But then in older times it was signs of vicious or dangerous guard dogs. I knew a man who had such a sign at his gate and the only dog was his wife's poodle. Well, he claimed it was his wife's but it sure seemed to follow him every step.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:01 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: La Petite Mort
Guard slugs !!! LMAO
Electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:39 PM   #34
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Guard slugs work sort of like exploding dye packets in bank bags. You just go down the docks looking for anybody covered in silver slime trails. I have heard that the trails will glow under a black light.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:52 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I like a good cattle prod beside the bed for peace of mind,and i'm sure one could rig something up with an electric fence unit,having been bitten a few times by these nasty things i would not go looking for seconds.
Gordon
flashwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:43 PM   #36
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I know, I know!

How about leaving an ugly, mangled, roadkill stuffed skunk with fake pouch hung out its sorry ass and fake blood all over its drooping tail hanging just inside against the door window!

Even a crack head understands what that could mean if entered!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:38 PM   #37

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee
Guard slugs, it's all good until they fall into the water.
DCBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:56 PM   #38
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
With all the guesses and smart intentions being posted as how to best keep thieves off boat...

Locks are there to help keep basically honest people... well... basically honest!

If thief wants to get in your boat and spend a few short minutes ransacking/stealing there taint very much can be done about that.

IMHO - Make doors etc look locked but leave it easy enough for the thief to get in without breaking windows / prying doors / kicking through hatches. Dollar losses are much less in the long run.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:54 PM   #39
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
My guard bear:

Old 01-16-2015, 08:13 PM   #40
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
My guard bear:

And I raise you a guard turtle

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421457205.467222.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	36508

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote