Securing dinghy on roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncleg44

Veteran Member
Plan to store inflatable on roof. Researching both ratchet and pulley tie downs. Other option recommendations welcome. Would appreciate recommendations/experiences.
Thank you.

Ours came with steel cables with a snap shackle on either end and a turnbuckle in the middle to adjust the length. Once set, they should snap together and lock the boat down without adjustment. Wouldn't be difficult or expensive to make them from parts you can easily get at Home Depot.

John

Keep it simple.
No need to buy stuff. Other than some 1/4” nylon line and 4 pad eyes.
Put the pad eyes on the roof top and cut the line to size. Make tie a bowline on one end. Cotterize the other end w heat or electrical tape. Tie the other end to one of the pad eyes. Then w the other line go through the bowline loop and cinch as tight as you like tying the end in 2 or 3 genuine half hitches. Use a third line if you feel the need.
Nylon looses strength in the sunlight so replace every 1 to 2 yrs.

Keep it simple.
Put the pad eyes on the roof top and cut the line to size. Make tie a bowline on one end. Cotterize the other end w heat or electrical tape. Tie the other end to one of the pad eyes. Then w the other line go through the bowline loop and cinch as tight as you like tying the end in 2 or 3 genuine half hitches. Use a third line if you feel the need.

Not only is it a cheap and effective solution, there are no metal bits to bang around and potentially rust.

Keep it simple.

Agreed, we don't use bungies or tie-downs (cam-style or ratchet style) anywhere. We also don't use line hanging systems or fender hanging systems.

Anything a contraption can do, you can typically do (with more flexibility) by lashing.

Truckers hitch works well.

Plan to store inflatable on roof. Researching both ratchet and pulley tie downs. Other option recommendations welcome. Would appreciate recommendations/experiences.
Thank you.

This being the Rosborough RF-246 you mentioned in previous posts? It helps to add that info to your profile, makes it easier to post relevant replies.

Your hardest past is, of course, manhandling it up onto the roof. On a past boat trying to single-handed get a 9'6 inflatable up on to the foredeck, over a hand rail was a considerable hassle. With two people it was "less worse". To then try and heave it up onto a cabin roof? I'd take a hard pass on trying to do that on a regular basis. The big concern would be the wood transom of most inflatables whacking the fiberglass along the way as you'd try get it up there.

I found a boat online showing it with a crane added. No additional details, but basically you're running a pole down below, along with sufficient backing plates/structure, and using that to hoist the dinghy up.

Google search for images shows a few other examples:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Rosborough+RF-246+dinghy&source=lnms&tbm=isch

Attachments

• rossi img.jpg
    rossi img.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 42
Ratchet straps rust, then you have rust stains on the gelcoat. I looked for stainless ratchet mechanisms but never found them. My Achilles has an air floor in it, something most can be retrofit with, cuts 70-80 lbs off the weight of an inflatable and makes it much easier to manhandle over the rails. I use my stand up paddle boards as kayaks and seldom have the dink, if I have passengers who are less physically able the dink comes along...

:lol:why not just get some rope and tie it to the chimney?

Ratchet straps rust, then you have rust stains on the gelcoat. I looked for stainless ratchet mechanisms but never found them. My Achilles has an air floor in it, something most can be retrofit with, cuts 70-80 lbs off the weight of an inflatable and makes it much easier to manhandle over the rails. I use my stand up paddle boards as kayaks and seldom have the dink, if I have passengers who are less physically able the dink comes along...
Good point about corrosion stains from cheap ones. It's not just the brackets, it's the hardware inside of them that seems to be made from instant-rusting-chinesium.

If/when you find a setup that works it's worth investing in having some decent outdoor grade (uv resistant) web straps sewn to the correct working lengths and stainless hardware.

Even the lightest of dinghies is still going to be a hassle in anything other than still conditions (wind and waves). At least with a crane you have something else handling the lifting, and your energies go into keeping it lined up and not banging into anything. Especially if you're single-handing it.

I have bought stainless steel rachet straps on Amazon. The metal parts are various types of stainless steel so eventually they may rust but they are better than regular steel rachets.

Rope lashing would be fine , but secure a serrated knife somewhere so if its needed in an emergency , no problem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom