Secure Decor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
How do you keep items from flying around down below when you are in a rough sea? Things like pictures/photos, lamps, books, knick-knacks, etc.

How do you keep your furniture from sliding around? KJ

Bungee cords around a few things like fans. Museum putty holds things like lamps and knick-knacks in place. Books are on shelves with book-ends holding them together, then shower curtain rods in front of them. Also use window curtain expanding bars to hold things in place in the refrigerator. Tie the stove door shut. Use non-skid shelf liners. If all else fails, remember the cure for things that move and shouldn't...duct tape. :)

I like the "curtain rod inside the fridge" idea. We have a pretty good-sized fridge, with a sliding latch to keep the door shut, but if we get into some rocky spots the stuff will inevitably be poised to fall out as soon as you open the door.
misc 020.jpg

I think it saves time to when untying from the dock to just go in the cabin and throw everything on the floor!

actually i do put all the things on the kitchen counters into the sinks, (coffee pot/dishes/rack). I don't really have any knick-knacks in mine as its not a live-aboard, its more of a spur of the moment jump aboard and take a ride.

This 3M product especially the double stick wall hanging tape is great. I use it for putting up smoke alarms, pictures, or even flat on tops. So far no harm to wood finish, and no holes.

Command

For bigger things such as chairs, a recessed hook in the floor can be used to attach a bungee.

I think it saves time to when untying from the dock to just go in the cabin and throw everything on the floor!

We felt the same way about our small sailboat. Then we discovered the wonderful world of Velcro. Purchased an assortment of straps the longest of which is 18 inches long, most are 4 to 8 inches. That and the 3M double stick tape idea kinda calmed things down for us.

How do you keep items from flying around down below when you are in a rough sea? Things like pictures/photos, lamps, books, knick-knacks, etc.

We don't have any hanging art on the boat. We have two photos from our narrowboat cruises in the UK in brass and oak porthole picture frames that are screwed to the side of the galley cabinet.

We don't have any free-standing furniture inside the boat so that is not an issue for us.

For books I fabricated three teak bookshelves for the boat at my wife's request. I designed them to mimic the drawer pulls used on our generation of GB. Two shelves in the aft cabin and one in the forward cabin. The long shelf on the port side of the aft cabin includes a teak retaining rod as that's where we store our taller cruising guides, US and BC sailing directions, engine manuals, etc.

Attachments

• AftCabin3.jpg
    AftCabin3.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 85
  • AftCabin4.jpg
    AftCabin4.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 83
  • La Perouse 12.jpg
    La Perouse 12.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 89
Loose furniture? Closest thing is a stool for the desk. It's tied to the bulkhead under the desk. Photographed prior to shipment:

img_92367_0_6be98e6f7c695064e873e9ebf87c6d4a.jpg

Get thee to a sailboat show.they have been securing the interior for 5000 years.

Our choice is drawers , but then I built my interior , so had the choice.

Simple push latches in the drawers allow instant visual inspection to assure we are RFS (ready for sea) at engine start.

We installed a gymboled range (sail boat style) to help with surprises while anchored.

And the boat is awash with interior hand holds , as we make poor projectiles.

FF

Last edited:
I like the "curtain rod inside the fridge" idea. We have a pretty good-sized fridge, with a sliding latch to keep the door shut, but if we get into some rocky spots the stuff will inevitably be poised to fall out as soon as you open the door.
View attachment 11819
I converted a fairly capacious old frig in our boat from eutectic to 12v, (using an efficient Waeco Danfoss compressor kit, and just threw out all the old rusty shelves and put in a set of powder-coated wire baskets in a frame. They slide out like drawers, to easy to take stuff out without groping to the back, and nothing is dislodged in a seaway.

We have no loose furniture or lamps. Pretty much everything else is fastened down or on shelves, in drawers, etc.

When the **** hits the fan...all your **** is going to hit the fan.

Nice stainless screws ! lamps, Wall hangings, and anything that might move will move in rough water ! Angle brackets for items that are free standing on the floor, I learned 2 years ago during a storm that even a wall mounted TV didnt hold well when it became unhooked and launched its self across the Salon and crashed into the nicely stored items held in place with Bungee's then i had those items also flying around the Galley and the salon.

Our futon used to slide around in anything over 2' seas. I made the pictured cleats to fit around the rear legs and it solved the problem.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 85
How do you keep your furniture from sliding around?

Hydraulic fin stabilizers work wonders :dance:
...........Arctic Traveller

Back
Top Bottom