Old 10-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #21
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
By the way, the Coast Pilots have a nice Distance Between Ports reference. Perhaps a mod could make this a sticky somewhere. Here it is for the whole US, with a summary of the big ports then fine detail for the smaller ones along a given coast:

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/n.../distances.pdf

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #22
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post

You can leave your boat in any harbor along the way and arrange transportation home.
The problem is there aren't many harbors in that stretch, and most of the few that do exist get closed in big storms. Making it all the more important to wait for a good window.

MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
The problem is there aren't many harbors in that stretch, and most of the few that do exist get closed in big storms. Making it all the more important to wait for a good window.
We had fifteen ports on our list with marinas that would accommodate at least an 85' boat between Neah Bay and San Francisco. A few bars are not passable in major storm conditions. But he's looking for them based on time limitations. The only two areas in which we found them over 100 nm apart was Neah Bay to Gray's Harbor and Eureka to Noyo.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #24
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
What were the 15? For example it would be pretty hard if not impossible to get an 85 footer into either marina in Noyo River.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
By the way, the Coast Pilots have a nice Distance Between Ports reference. Perhaps a mod could make this a sticky somewhere. Here it is for the whole US, with a summary of the big ports then fine detail for the smaller ones along a given coast:

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/n.../distances.pdf
I'll look into this one. Thanks for the great reference.

EDIT: Here's the link.

NOAA Coast Pilot - US Port Distances

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #26
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
I find it a bit ironic that there's so much interest in moving boats South from what is one of the world's best cruising areas.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #27
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I agree with Kevin and just harbor hop on the way down. You have to be mindful of the tide and most harbors are associated with rivers, so enter at slack tide. here was our adventure from Oakley CA to Longview WA on the Columbia River. Next time we will haobor hop!

http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-big-voyage.html
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:43 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
You guys with very good rough water capable boats think about making passages differently than guys like myself with less capable craft.

I think of only the next harbor down the line, or the next anchorage. I think about how far can I go if I leave in the pre dawn timeframe and arrive before dusk.

There is no worry for a guy like me about bars closing during storms, because I'll already be in port, hanging out, relaxing.

I dont need a long weather window, all I need is a one day weather window. Today is everything. If the weather is cruddy tomorrow, I'll stay put. No big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We had fifteen ports on our list with marinas that would accommodate at least an 85' boat between Neah Bay and San Francisco. A few bars are not passable in major storm conditions. But he's looking for them based on time limitations. The only two areas in which we found them over 100 nm apart was Neah Bay to Gray's Harbor and Eureka to Noyo.
Thats the way I see it as well. There are NO places from Alaska to Ensenada that I cannot make in one day, during daylight hours to boot.

Heck, after researching and thinking about it more, and after two crossiings myself, I even solved the issue of crossing the Gulf of Alaska!
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #29
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
I find it a bit ironic that there's so much interest in moving boats South from what is one of the world's best cruising areas.
Lots of boats up there. Some buyers don't want to or can't live there. Personally, I prefer blue skies and sunshine most of the year.

Nice place to visit and summer cruise though!

Old 10-20-2014, 03:58 PM   #30
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Cruising the North West

Your right cruising the NorthWest is great, unless you have to commute from California to your boat. I've made a lot of 16hr runs to a boat in Seattle. That's why mine is in Ca for the moment. I can get all the projects done down here close to home and work. Would I rather be cruising new areas up north , is a frogs butt water tight, do fish swim, is the pope a Catholic? Than again we do have 9 months of sun and summers with warm water, warm dry days , and cooling evenings. Heck were still harvesting tomatoes, the grape leaves are just starting to turn, and were still water skiing. By the way the wine tasting, well it's world class.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:00 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
Your right cruising the NorthWest is great, unless you have to commute from California to your boat. I've made a lot of 16hr runs to a boat in Seattle. That's why mine is in Ca for the moment. I can get all the projects done down here close to home and work. Would I rather be cruising new areas up north , is a frogs butt water tight, do fish swim, is the pope a Catholic? Than again we do have 9 months of sun and summers with warm water, warm dry days , and cooling evenings. Heck were still harvesting tomatoes, the grape leaves are just starting to turn, and were still water skiing. By the way the wine tasting, well it's world class.

I thought you guys were out of water and started hauling glaciers from Alaska???
Old 10-20-2014, 04:12 PM   #32
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Why not supertankers from BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
I thought you guys were out of water and started hauling glaciers from Alaska???
Hell we pay more for bottled water than we do fuel, Why not bring it down from BC and Alaska in supertankers. The lakes are looking pretty dry, The Delta close to Sea level so we'll have water there, it might be salty but we'll be floating. Thinking about it the Columbia has plenty of water, well just pump it from there.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #33
Guru

Ha, sounds like you are proposing a west coast intercoastal waterway! Nope, wouldn't work, LA would then take all the water........
Old 10-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #34
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
Shhhhh!! C'mon, Steve. You're blowing our secret.

Hey guys, it SUCKS down here. We all hate it and can't wait to leave. Don't waste your time coming this way. You probably won't like it either. \

Gotta run and prep for more fishing and cruising in this hell hole!

Old 10-20-2014, 07:56 PM   #35
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Shhhhh!! C'mon, Steve. You're blowing our secret.

Hey guys, it SUCKS down here. We all hate it and can't wait to leave. Don't waste your time coming this way. You probably won't like it either. \

Gotta run and prep for more fishing and cruising in this hell hole!
Forty million souls living cheek to cheek, paying egregious state taxes, thinking 50 miles is a boat trip and governed by Pelosi can't be wrong.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #36
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Forty million souls living cheek to cheek, paying egregious state taxes, thinking 50 miles is a boat trip and governed by Pelosi can't be wrong.
"Thanks" for the reminder.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #37
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
Socal and the PNW are exact opposite...
We have all the water, you have all the Sun... sometimes we need a little sun.

Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:54 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
What were the 15? For example it would be pretty hard if not impossible to get an 85 footer into either marina in Noyo River.
Grays Harbor, Westport Marina*
Columbia River, Port of Astoria*
Tillamook, Garibaldi Marina
Yoquina River-Commercial docks on both sides.
Siuslaw River, Port of Siuslaw*
Umpqua River, Winchester Bay
Coos Bay, Charleston Marina*
Coquette River, Port of Bandon
Rogue River, Port of Gold Beach
Chetco Cove, Port of Brookings Harbor*
Crescent City Harbor, Crescent City Harbor Marina
Humbolt Bay, Eureka Public Marina or Woodley Island Marina*
Noyo River, Noyo Mooring Basin
Bodega Bay, Spud Point Marina or Porto Bodega*

Yes, I know it's 14. Intentionally left one off.

I put asterisks beside the 7 places we have actually docked and had no problem. Of course conditions can vary greatly. Some of the others would be a challenge for an 85' and/or take a commercial dock or the marina has only one spot for a large boat. However, I think many would work fine for the boat he may have in mind.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #39
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
My wife and I are presemtly doing a pre run from Seattle to the boarder with our land yacht, motor home. We have stopped at most of the ports listed. We are presently in Coos Bay. We plan on spending several days exploring the SF Delta. I retired Sept 1, so we plan on going South for 6 to 9 months and PNW 3 to 6 months. Might move the boat south.

IF we did it would take us months if not years. I install a boatnanny, wireless security system so we can monitor the boat 24/7. Works great, bilge, temp, power, motion and sound. 12 every day sends a status report or if an alarm goes off. Be in the bay area mid next week. 100 miles per day is enough.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #40
Guru

I've read books of those on the canals of Europe who took van and boat. They would move the boat a distance, then bicycle back to the van and move it. Generally though you can find some way back to your base or vehicle. Also sometimes you have someone who would just as soon travel on land and meet the boat.