Old 03-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #1

Thinking of wintering in Charleston SC - thoughts?

I've lived in Boston 17 years... WAAAAAY too long. I hate it here with a passion. Hate everything about it - the people, the weather, the culture, the roads, the taxes, the cost of living, everything.
So I recently purchased a 43' Marine Trader, and was thinking - since I work remotely anyway (I'm in consulting), I could spend next winter somewhere - like, Charleston SC.
Maybe take the trawler there in early Autumn, spend a month on the boat, then rent an apartment for the winter...

Anyone have thoughts on Charleston SC? How is it living there? People? Costs? Culture? Fun?
(I'm 35, and my GF would come with me, we are both European, like international culture, speak several languages, open minded, and make friends easily).
7tiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
RE: Thinking of wintering in Charleston SC - thoughts?

Keep going south! Charleston is certainly warmer than Boston (and friendlier) but sounds like you are not limited by work or geography...go more south where it is actually warm all winter long. Keep going until you are comfortable in flilp flops and no shirt!
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #3

I would think about going further, like Miami... but I'm worried about insuring the boat in FL waters.
My boss actually lives and works out of Dominican Republic (but we tell clients he is NYC, which he flies to weekly).
My coworker lives in Costa Rica...
Old 03-11-2011, 03:56 AM   #4
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Why not NC? Sure, it's not "warm" in the winter, but the boating is way better in the sounds and rivers.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:55 AM   #5
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic

Some people are not looking for Endless Summers they just want to escape the deep freeze. The bonus of an early Spring is a plus.

I think Charleston S.C. would fit the bill.

If it is only you and the GF why would you get an apartment and not stay aboard?

Just Curious,** JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:02 AM   #6
Doc
Guru

Be very careful to check out the South Carolina tax laws on boats. They can nail you if you are there longer than a certain period of time.

I have spent considerable time in Charleston and one of the most interesting phenomenan is the tide and current situation. One can untie one's vessel and immediately lose control. I saw more boat wrecks at the Charlston City Dock and Ashley Marina than I could count.

Downtown Charleston is a great place to eat and drink or just walk around reading the historical markers.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:25 AM   #7
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Charleston is a great place with good air access.* Doc is right.* Watch the local property tax situation.* Tidal currents are bad.* Those not familiar with them have caused some great damage in the marinas.* It would be a good place to winter.

I second FF's suggestion of SW FL.* Our boat is there now.* Any where from Ft Myers to Sarasota wuuld be good.

Hurricane season is June 1 to Nov 1.* As long as your boat is not in FL at that time, you should have little problem insuring it.*
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:44 AM   #8

We'd rent an apartment for a few reasons.
1 - we've never lived aboard, not sure if we'd like it
2 - we have 2 cats and a dog
3 - we (she) have a ton of clothes

My parents live in Tampa, and I'm actually thinking of using their address as my "home" address, registering my cars there, etc. I want to move my assets out of Mass, it's nuts here... sales tax, excise tax, yearly registration, inspection fee, one of the highest gas taxes, tolls everywhere, and insurance is literally DOUBLE here than 20 miles over the border in New Hampshire (thank you state-regulated insurance...). Not to mention a $1,000 penalty to pay the state if you don't have health insurance each year.
We've also had 8 tax increases here in the last 4 years - from a Governor who was elected by promising to NOT raise ANY taxes... then was re-elected on the same promise, after raising taxes (and those are the tax raises that he was able to pass... there were about 10 others that were shot down). We have also had referendums twice in the last 4 years to raise or lower taxes... and Mass citizens voted to RAISE taxes. Sigh...

-- Edited by 7tiger7 on Friday 11th of March 2011 08:59:38 AM
Old 03-11-2011, 06:56 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
7tiger7 wrote:

My parents live in Tampa, and I'm actually thinking of using their address as my "home" address, registering my cars there, etc. I want to move my assets out of Mass, it's nuts here... sales tax, excise tax, yearly registration, inspection fee, one of the highest gas taxes, tolls everywhere, and insurance costs literally DOUBLE here than 20 miles over the border in New Hampshire (thank you state-regulated insurance...).
We've also had 8 tax increases here in the last 4 years - from a Governor who was elected by promising to NOT raise ANY taxes... then was re-elected on the same promise, after raising taxes (and those are the tax raises that he was able to pass... there were about 10 others that were shot down). We have also had referendums twice in the last 4 years to raise or lower taxes... and Mass citizens voted to RAISE taxes. Sigh...
Vote with your feet----I mean your keel.* You will find many of your retired government employees have taken your tax money to live the good life in low tax Florida.* Get hold of yourself, Moonstruck.* This should be in OTDE!

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Friday 11th of March 2011 08:57:52 AM
Old 03-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #10
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic

Quote:
7tiger7 wrote:

Never know unless you try it.
We also have 2 cats and a dog and there is no easy answer here.
Go to the Keys-- bikinis don't take much space.

My parents live in Tampa, and I'm actually thinking of using their address as my "home" address, registering my cars there, etc. I want to move my assets out of Mass, it's nuts here... sales tax, excise tax, yearly registration, inspection fee, one of the highest gas taxes, tolls everywhere, and insurance is literally DOUBLE here than 20 miles over the border in New Hampshire (thank you state-regulated insurance...). Not to mention a $1,000 penalty to pay the state if you don't have health insurance each year.
Start a coporation in Delaware and keep moving.* As soon as you plant roots you start paying for the privilege.

All in Fun.*** JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Friday 11th of March 2011 09:29:41 AM
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #11

We have lots of folks here in FL for the winter with their boats. Many boaters still like to hang between North and Central Florida to get a bit of cold (for us) weather so they don't forget what it is like. there are plenty of marinas with good facilities. We of course, keep our boat here all year and have no issues with insurance, although we have to buy a 'rider' when we go to the Bahamas because I don't want to pay for 'foreign water coverage' all year round. You could start out staying on the boat for a while to see if it works for you before renting an apt. too.
Avista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #12
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
7tiger7 wrote:

I've lived in Boston 17 years... WAAAAAY too long. I hate it here with a passion. Hate everything about it - the people, the weather, the culture, the roads, the taxes, the cost of living, everything.
So I recently purchased a 43' Marine Trader, and was thinking - since I work remotely anyway (I'm in consulting), I could spend next winter somewhere - like, Charleston SC.
Maybe take the trawler there in early Autumn, spend a month on the boat, then rent an apartment for the winter...

Anyone have thoughts on Charleston SC? How is it living there? People? Costs? Culture? Fun?
(I'm 35, and my GF would come with me, we are both European, like international culture, speak several languages, open minded, and make friends easily).

Seem like I answered this question recently.

I've lived in the Charleston area for six years but I'm originally from MD.* I will share my opinions.* Keep in mind I was not born and raised here.

Like all cities, there are good parts and bad parts.* You won't know which is which until you get here.* Lots of people are not as "open minded" as you and your GF.* Some are still fighting the civil war.* Many openly resent "Yankees".* Others are more subtle.

There is another "culture" in the bad parts of the area.* I'm sure Boston has the same problems.

Costs? Less than Boston for most areas.* At least for housing.* There are actually websites that compare the cost of living for different cities.

Culture?* It's around.* I imagine there's less in the way of "culture" than in Boston.

Fun?* Fun is what you make it.* What's fun for one person may not be fun for another.

Others touched on boating issues.* If your boat is kept in SC for more than 180 days, you will owe personal property tax on it.* Tides and currents are pretty severe.* I have to plan my departure and return based on tidal currents.* A face dock is not a problem, but I have a slip off a narrow fairway.

A suggestion is to subscribe by mail to the Charleston newspaper for a few months to get a feel for the area.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #13
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

Slippage in Charleston is going to be way more expensive than other areas.** Maybe way less than Boston but much more in areas considered Charleston proper instead of outlying areas.

Yes, you will meet folks who are natives and yes they are still fighting the war, and they will openly refer to some folks as "yankees."*

Ignore that term and they will become your friends if you treat them with the respect they deserve.* Learn the Southern ways of doing things and you'll be OK.* You don't need to eat grits, just understand the way things are done.

Oh yeah, understand one more thing:
The Ashley and Cooper river meet to form the Atlantic Ocean.* Knowing this fact will clue you into how the natives think.

-- Edited by Egregious on Friday 11th of March 2011 09:10:54 PM
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #14
Guru

We southerners refer to what some folks call the Civil War as the recent unplesantness.* Never put sugar on your grits, and don't tell the natives how you did it up north and you'll be OK.* In fact you may find the slower pace down right pleasing.* There is a certain*graciousness to Charleston.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0205.jpg  
Old 03-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I am considering something very similar. We are from New York looking to bring our boat south for Winter get aways. We are considering Virginia Beach to the Outer Banks. The reason we aren't considering further south is bc we plan on "escaping" once a month and driving. Travel time is a major consideration and driving with 9 and 6 year old boys can get a bit hairy.

This is a great website to gather info and compare cities:

http://www.bestplaces.net/city/defau...319&op=4513330

Just plug in 2 choice cities and get all the current info you could want.

Good luck!
NY Gin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #16

Well, I usually refer to the civil war as the war of northern aggression, and I love grits - with just butter and salt, and I hate how we do things up North - hence my moving south
Oh and I don't have a Boston accent, either!

How much is the tax on the boat if I keep it there over 180 days? Can't be more than here in MA...
Old 03-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #17
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

Quote:
7tiger7 wrote:

and I love grits - with just butter and salt,
Umm, is there any other way?

You gonna fit right in son.
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #18

Oh and I refer to EVERYONE as "Sir" or "Ma'am". I've actually had many people here ask me if I was in the military.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:39 AM   #19
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Quote:
Egregious wrote:

7tiger7 wrote:

and I love grits - with just butter and salt,
Umm, is there any other way?

You gonna fit right in son.

Sure... Biscuit gravy goes great on grits with chopped sausage! Maybe some shreaded cheese.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:33 AM   #20
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl

Any place you visit or live,you'll find good and bad. For the most part, people will treat you the way you expect to be treated. I am a Bostonian living in the south and have been treated very well. But then again, I was treated very well in Boston. I treat people with respect and expect to be treated with respect.
Maybe you are not as "open minded" as you think? Charleston is an awesome place to be based. Plenty of things to do and close to the cruising grounds of Fl and North Carolina.
Good marine services available and a restaraunt mecca. Enjoy
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote