Old 08-31-2018, 09:16 PM   #1
Guru

City: kemah
I knew about the oil placard...

but this book has to be on board if your longer than 39 feet?

Quote:
While everyone must follow the Rules of the Road, vessels equal to, or longer than, 12 meters (39.4 ft) are required to carry a copy of the Navigation Rules and Regulations Handbook onboard.
Most importantly, that copy must be "complete", that is, include the most recent updates.

This book is an exact reprint of International and Inland Navigation Rules text. It includes the most current information available on the regulations in effect. Includes color illustrations where needed.

As of this writing, the current edition is the August 2014 edition (LNM 46-14/NTM 48-14; Nov. 22nd 2014).
This identification information is located on the front cover, as well as on the first page.

2014, PB, 202 pages.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/naut...edition-par076
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:30 PM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Along with a garbage placard and written garbage plan if you meet those requirements also (galley, living quarters, etc)
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:49 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
You can download a copy into your phone or tablet.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:02 PM   #4
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
You can download a pdf copy here for free.

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRuleChanges

Just wondering - Has anyone actually been checked to see if they have a copy on board their recreational boat?
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:11 AM   #5
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post

Just wondering - Has anyone actually been checked to see if they have a copy on board their recreational boat?
I had a CG boarding last year in the San Juans. Seemed very thorough, but the regs never came up. Neither did the radar.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:15 AM   #6
Guru

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post

Yes, I have. I had a copy on my iPhone and that was satisfactory to the CG.
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:31 AM   #7
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Well I guess the downloads are ok if the aim is just to meet the requirements.
But wouldn't a hard copy be easier for you and your crew to read and refer to, to actually be aware of the rules?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:32 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
I had a CG boarding last year in the San Juans. Seemed very thorough, but the regs never came up. Neither did the radar.
Relevance?
Old 09-01-2018, 06:38 AM   #9
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I always carry one and had it right at the helm for easy access and reference. Amazing how many boaters have never read it, let alone studied it. Same folks who don't read the LNMs for the most part... what I call the "Ignorance is Bliss..... Until" crowd.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:17 AM   #10
Guru

The one time I was stopped by the CG they never asked for the book or the trash plan but I have both.
I admit I have never read the book other than a very quick glance when I first got it.
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:21 AM   #11
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Relevance?
I believe Rule 7 states something along the lines that if you have radar then you must use it. Am confused as to whether that means 24/7 no matter what or if you have an incident and weren't using it then you are dinged. Maybe that's a myth?

This is assuming your "relevance" comment was referring to the radar... if not then ignore me. Most learn to do that after a while.
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:46 AM   #12
Guru

City: kemah
The relevance of AlaskaProf's post for me is I cant recall ever reading about the book needing to be on board or that it even existed. Ive read about the oil and the trash decals plenty of times in various "things you need as a boater", but none ever mentioned needing to have the book on board.

Im kind of surprised at how many so far mentioned having it and it makes me somewhat curious as to how everyone learned of the requirement. was the knowledge passed down from old salt to new? or dna?
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:47 AM   #13
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
I believe Rule 7 states something along the lines that if you have radar then you must use it. Am confused as to whether that means 24/7 no matter what or if you have an incident and weren't using it then you are dinged.

This is assuming your "relevance" comment was referring to the radar... if not then ignore me. Most learn to do that after a while.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...wii-40281.html

See here for current discussion on radar mandatory-hood-ness... or not.

-Chris
Old 09-01-2018, 07:51 AM   #14
Guru

Thanks Chris, didn't want to type or padte all of it again....

But no, madatory use of Radar is another "dock talk" myth....masters discretion after considering "prevai,ing conditions".
Old 09-01-2018, 07:56 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post

No, the Rules book. It is mandatory regardless of wether or not the CG asked for it on inspection.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:58 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
The relevance of AlaskaProf's post for me is I cant recall ever reading about the book needing to be on board or that it even existed. Ive read about the oil and the trash decals plenty of times in various "things you need as a boater", but none ever mentioned needing to have the book on board.

Im kind of surprised at how many so far mentioned having it and it makes me somewhat curious as to how everyone learned of the requirement. was the knowledge passed down from old salt to new? or dna?
First time I heard it was when I went through captains licensing...but then again I never owned a boat over 37 feet till then.

Then the real learning about it and the garbage plan came when working for Marine Max. They were a big Sea Ray dealership and proclaimed to have "sail away" equipment on board.

As the primary delivery captain, I looked into their "sketchy" equipment list and also discovered the "written garbage plan".

So yes, these requirements are not common knowledge in the boating world, and it mat take a long time sifting through on line forums to come across them depending on which threads one focuses on.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:58 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post

How did you know about needing flares, PFDs, throwable etc.?
Old 09-01-2018, 08:31 AM   #18
Guru

City: gulf coast
Seems a lot of debate about nothing. We keep all ships papers, rule books etc in a slim case that we show to boarding officer. they see everything in one place and thats the end of it. Yes I have heard that a digital copy of the rules on a computer would satisfy but I like everything in one place.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:03 AM   #19
Guru

They have to wander all over the to do the inspection, and placards have to be in reasonable mounting places, so there is still reason to have something like the Navrules out and handy whe the boat is being operated from.

Like they prefer PFDs out and handy over even the acceptable "accessible" rule.

So sure, a little debate can be enlightening to some. As we read, some didn't know of the requirement at all.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #20
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
This one of those scary threads that reminds me how important it is to assume boaters around me don't have, to various degrees, and in this case literally, a clue.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote