Old 06-20-2014, 11:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: n/a
Vessel Name: n/a
Vessel Model: n/a
The Search Begins!!!!

Actually, the search really began years ago when I first heard about "The Great Loop". But, we're getting older and many of our travel goals have been met and now seems to be the time.

In the next few weeks we will be looking at several trawlers. Some are for sale be their owners and some are Brokerage boats. It is a problem here as there are practically no docks to walk to see and visit with various owners. They're all gated which makes sense as you would not want the general public to just wander amongst your treasures. So we will have to deal directly an owner or broker based on the pictures and lies posted with the ad. Another problem we will have is the occasional owner that discourages "dreamers" or "tire kickers" whatever the hell that means. I'm certainly a "dreamer" and I'm by God going to "kick-the-tires" before I cough up $100K or so for anything. If it weren't for the love of boats it wouldn't be any fun at all.

In my intro, I mentioned the 42' Uniflite Aft Cabin - I just loved that boat! But - awfully large. And as I stood on the flybridge my thought was ".....this thing is gonna get cleaned off like that top row of chickens in the song "Wolf Creek Pass" when we get to that bridge in Chicago."

Anyway, that big Uni is my benchmark! We'll be looking at the following:

a. 1990 Cooper Prowler 35' Aft Cabin

b. 1987 Carver 36' Aft Cabin

c. Another 42' Uniflite Aft Cabin (Just can't help myself!)

d. 40' Blue Water (I know- not really a Trawler but I'm curious and the price is good.)

e. 38' Chris Craft Challenger Aft Cabin (may be a wood hull- not sure. I kind of like the flush deck thingy)

f. 36' Uniflite Aft Cabin (looked at one of these before- had blisters all the way up to the flybridge!)

g. 40' Bayliner Bodega Aft Cabin (looked at one of these earlier and was not impressed - forgot why)

Wish us luck! Any advice is, as always, appreciated!

By the way, anyone out there know what this is? Supposed to be US made, 39-footer with a single diesel. Just love the clean lines of this boat!!! Sold a few years ago in the Everett WA area.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0186.jpg  
NYCHAB III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:44 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Welcome, and good luck with all that. You are probably in the most enjoyable phase of the journey, right there. I'm sure folk on here will be more than happy to give opinions on various boats you consider - maybe more than you can handle - but again…that's all part of the fun.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:55 AM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Indeed- you are in the fun part of the journey!

Are you planning to do the Great Loop? If so, You may consider looking at boats in the northeast of on the Great Lakes....

If you get to Seattle, you could rent a Duffy electric boat on Lake Union and cruise the lake and check out the boats.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
Guru

City: Cowiche, WA
Welcome and good luck on your search. We live in the Yakima area and when searching for places to look at boats we found Anacortes the easiest dock access around. Lots of boats of all flavors there and lots of on the hard boats at brokers to go aboard. We made many trips researching what we wanted, spent way too many hours on Yachtworld and went aboard hundreds of boats figuring it out. In our process we migrated through 2 boat ownerships until we bought our Grand Banks 36. I would encourage you to take good notes and photos on each boat you like so later you can spend some time comparing them and deciding if you want to go back for a second look. Take your time, rushing is your enemy. There are a lot of boats available and if you miss one, there will soon be another to take its place. Make it a fun, fact finding exercise without an emotional attachment and you will enjoy it more. It is a business deal that you can get attached to later. Figure out what you are willing to pay, what your mooring, insurance, maintainance, upgrades, survey and others expenses are and will be as you search for your boat and you will do great. Survey, survey, survey, and then realize not everything will come out in the survey. Do your homework on what and where to look for issues, basically a pre-survey and you will save yourself thousands of dollars and many nights of disturbed sleep.
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
There are some excellent charter opportunities in the PNW in the type boat you're seeking too, that might help you in the decision making process.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #6

City: Everett, Wa
Vessel Name: The 6-Pack
Vessel Model: 1974 Custom Aluminum Pilothouse
I would echo kolive. Anacortes has several places to go but banana belt boats allows you to get on a large number of types of boats all in the same lot. They are out of the water and they claim they have the largest volume. Good luck! One person asked me when we were looking how I knew where to look and I said hey I have been looking at yachtworld for the last 20 years 3 times a day. Lol. Enjoy
6-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thank you all for the well wishes. I agree this will be the fun part. We do plan to do the "Loop" soon and as we decide on a boat we may actually look for that "particular one" on the Great Lakes or East Coast to save on shipping. Actually, I had the thought that we could kind of do the Lewis and Clark thing in reverse. Cruise up the Columbia and the Snake to Lewiston Idaho and have it shipped to the closest navigable section of the Miss. or Mo. Rivers and into the Great Lakes from there. Anybody ever do that?

Also, can anyone identify the boat in my original post?

PS: Thank you Mr. Boatpoker for the VERY valuable link!
Dave
Old 06-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #8
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCHAB III View Post
Actually, I had the thought that we could kind of do the Lewis and Clark thing in reverse. Cruise up the Columbia and the Snake to Lewiston Idaho and have it shipped to the closest navigable section of the Miss. or Mo. Rivers and into the Great Lakes from there. Anybody ever do that?
Dave
Hey, you know I've always wondered about that too....like how far you could get inland with a 3.5 ft. draft before one had to ship overland. Sure hope someone knows about that.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:41 PM   #9
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
According to "the New world encyclopedia" online

"As early as 1881, industrialists proposed altering the natural channel of the Columbia to improve navigation.[20] Changes to the river over the years have included the construction of jetties at the river's mouth, dredging, and the construction of canals and navigation locks. Today, ocean freighters can travel upriver as far as Portland and Vancouver, and barges can reach as far inland as Lewiston, Idaho.

Now, what is the westernmost navigable point on a tributary of the Miss. River?
Old 06-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #10
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCHAB III View Post
Thank you all for the well wishes. I agree this will be the fun part. We do plan to do the "Loop" soon and as we decide on a boat we may actually look for that "particular one" on the Great Lakes or East Coast to save on shipping. Actually, I had the thought that we could kind of do the Lewis and Clark thing in reverse. Cruise up the Columbia and the Snake to Lewiston Idaho and have it shipped to the closest navigable section of the Miss. or Mo. Rivers and into the Great Lakes from there. Anybody ever do that?

Dave
No however that is part of our loosely forming plan going forward. We live in California and our original plan was to buy something akin to a Krogen 42 or DeFever 48 and follow Larry and Lena's wake down the coast and through the Panama canal. We purchased a cheap "starter" boat to help put feathers on the dart that was "our plan" and love it so much we see little or no need to up-size significantly if at all.

We can easily fabricate a tri-axle trailer to haul our 10 foot wide boat on the road. With 10' air draft there are precious few bridges we need to open on the water. 3' of water depth is not too much to ask for and in reality we draw less than 2'. The river system of North America seems to have more than sufficient cruising/gunk-holing opportunities to keep my bride and I quite busy for the rest of our lives.

If you find any info helpful for planning a trip of this nature I'm all ears. Short of finding any really good cruising guides or such our plan is to stick it in the Columbia River and head east until we run out of launch ramps then turn around and head back to the last one. Wherever that happens to be we'll portage the boat overland with the trailer to the next closest river system and repeat.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:47 AM   #11
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
The Missouri River starts west of Great Falls, Montana, but there are dams and shallows along the river all the way east to Gavins Point Dam in Yankton, South Dakota. Gavins Point is the last dam going downstream, but then there's still one more shallow area on the way to Sioux City, Iowa where only kayaks and canoes are reasonable. The furthest west a 30+ foot boat could start navigating the Missouri continuously would be Sioux City and they have a marina there, but no travel lift. The current rips so fast in that area too that I wouldn't want to start there. Realistically you'd want to start in Omaha, run all the way down (well, down and over) to join the Mississippi in St. Louis, then out to the world.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:07 AM   #12

City: Palm Springs CA
Vessel Name: On The Rocks
Vessel Model: Gulf Star MKII
The boat picture in the OP looks like a Tolley Craft.
On The Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Near perfect great looper

1982 Mainship I Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Well, look this over. Every system renewed or replaced. Your new paid for best friend will not be the boat yard owner. No current speed over ground 15+ knots. Economical, 2 gallons an hour @ 8 knots. Has all the bells and whistles...New Engine, genset, air, electronics. AND the most overlooked, and a very big deal, new sliding glass back door. I have a friend that had one for 17 years that did the loop in one. He owns a 42 now and his comment was he would rather do the loop in the 34 Mainship. Come on down to Fort Pierce, spend rest of summer, fall and part of winter here. Move on up the coast and clear the Chesapeake in late Feb or March and you will be on schedule to make it back to Fort Pierce by fall and still lolly gag along the way to enjoy the trip.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #14
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
-------------------------
So we will have to deal directly an owner or broker based on the pictures and lies posted with the ad. Another problem we will have is the occasional owner that discourages "dreamers" or "tire kickers" whatever the hell that means. I'm certainly a "dreamer" and I'm by God going to "kick-the-tires" before I cough up $100K or so for anything.
---------------------------------------------
I think you will need a better frame of mind when you work with brokers and owners. Be sure to let them know you are a qualified buyer. Tell them up front what your budget is, and how you will finanace the transaction and your time frame. Find a broker you can trust and stick with them, they are out there, just ask here for recommendations. If you are working with multiple brokers, they aren't going to put as much effort into it.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:17 AM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
"So we will have to deal directly an owner or broker based on the pictures and lies posted with the ad."
Brokers and owners are people just like everybody else. I have dealt with 4 brokers over the years. 3 were (are)excellent, ethical people and one did not seem so. The representations on the yachtworld listing of MY boat are dead on. Perhaps you have been taken before but I like to have a more positive attitude, cautious but looking and expecting the best of folks. Including purchase in 2009 I have foolishly put $100k into "Da Homestead". I did a refit to keep her, not to sell her and she got the best. This is evident upon inspection.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:56 AM   #16
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Realistically you'd want to start in Omaha, run all the way down (well, down and over) to join the Mississippi in St. Louis, then out to the world.
OK, so that's Lewiston to Omaha, 1509 miles using I-80 and I-90 all the way for bridge clearance....it's a big country! Interesting concept though, and there's thousands of miles of other tributaries to explore on the way. Still, it'd be better to have something one didn't have to butcher to make the height restrictions.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Mr. Mule / Mr. Meridian - You are both correct! "Lies" is most likely too strong a word and perhaps I was a little to cynical. I do know that the info in an ad, either by an Owner or Broker is ordinarily provided by the Owner (there is usually a disclaimer at the bottom of Brokerage ads that state so). So unless the Broker has had a survey done he is relying on the truthfulness and/or experience of those supplying the info. So it is ultimately up to you (the Buyer) to have the survey done. My experience with Brokers so far has been excellent and I realize that they are for the most part at the mercy of the Owner in this regard.

Mr. OTR, I too thought that was a Tolly but I can find no record of a 39-footer, let alone one with a single diesel. Also notice the forward side window: all Tolly's side windows seem to be extended all the way forward to meet the front window. And the aft side window on Tolly's seem to have a "notch" in the lower rear corner. PLUS there seems to be a break in the hull side just below the gunwale that Tolly's don't have. Can anyone confirm this?

Dave
Old 06-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Mr. Mule, That little Mainship looks very interesting. I kind of stayed away from the Sedan / Convertible because I don't like sleeping in the "pointy" end, but that boat has what looks like a very comfortable sleeping arrangement there. I'll definitely keep this one in mind. Thank you very much.

Dave
Old 06-28-2014, 06:33 PM   #19
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Canoe Cove, maybe?
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #20
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Canoe Cove, maybe?
That may be it Don. I was thinking Chris Craft made a similar looking boat in that size for a couple years but when the OP said single diesel I knew it couldn't be a CC.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote