Old 07-03-2014, 09:29 AM   #21

City: Little River, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
-------------------------
So we will have to deal directly an owner or broker based on the pictures and lies posted with the ad. Another problem we will have is the occasional owner that discourages "dreamers" or "tire kickers" whatever the hell that means. I'm certainly a "dreamer" and I'm by God going to "kick-the-tires" before I cough up $100K or so for anything.
---------------------------------------------
I think you will need a better frame of mind when you work with brokers and owners. Be sure to let them know you are a qualified buyer. Tell them up front what your budget is, and how you will finanace the transaction and your time frame. Find a broker you can trust and stick with them, they are out there, just ask here for recommendations. If you are working with multiple brokers, they aren't going to put as much effort into it.
Excellent advice. I am a huge advocate of using a broker as a buyers' representative. It costs no more, and the broker is representing YOU. Remember, all brokers' fiduciary duty belongs to the client, one with whom they have a contract with, in most cases, that is the seller. They represent the seller FIRST. Most boat brokers mistakenly call all customers clients. This is a misnomer as most customers have no contract with a broker.

Find a broker that you are comfortable with, then stick with that ONE broker. Let that person locate the type of boat you are looking for, arrange the showing, accompany you on the Sea-Trial, guide you through the survey(s) and negotiate the deal for you, wording your Offer to Purchase in such a way that protects you, not the seller.

Think about it this way: If you were getting a divorce, would you want your (soon to be EX) Spouse's attorney to represent you?

Steveyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. S. "Find a broker that you..." EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT advice for the majority of lookers/buyers. So many combinations and permutations of a boat deal one can't hope to know them all. Major problem is: Finding a good broker to represent you. We did. He/she???? is a posting member on this site.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #23

City: Little River, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. S. "Find a broker that you..." EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT advice for the majority of lookers/buyers. So many combinations and permutations of a boat deal one can't hope to know them all. Major problem is: Finding a good broker to represent you. We did. He/she???? is a posting member on this site.
In my tenure as a broker, I have had the pleasure of representing buyers from all over the globe..... including Arkansas! I have just recently gotten back into this business after a 7 year hiatus. I feel like Rip Van Winkle things have changed so much. Not the business, but the product and the number of OLD boat companies that no longer exist.
Steveyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #24
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCHAB III View Post
By the way, anyone out there know what this is? Supposed to be US made, 39-footer with a single diesel. Just love the clean lines of this boat!!! Sold a few years ago in the Everett WA area.
Looks like a Chris Craft Corinthian 38 circa 1978.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: n/a
Vessel Name: n/a
Vessel Model: n/a
Mr. B-P, I don't think so, ChrisCraft used the Uniflite hull for the Corinthian I believe. They had a distinctive ogee in the hull profile at deck level. You can see in my mystery boat that that is not there.The ad also stated she was a RARE U.S. made trawler - could it have been a "one-off" custom?

This is starting to bug me as I have researched a LOT of trawlers in in the 34' to 48' range and I have never seen one like this. This is a pre-'89 boat as the ad stated it had been remodeled between '89 and '94. May have originally been a gas engine.

Dave
NYCHAB III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #26

City: Anacortes
Not a Tollycraft. Not a uniflite. Don't think it's a canoe cove, though above the gunwhale she could have shared a mold.

I was on a boat like this years ago that was a one-off from a commercial builder. Not positive, but looking at her hull, I'm rather suspicious that's what we are looking at here. Very probably one of a kind.

ghost is offline   Reply With Quote