Old 02-28-2018, 11:36 PM   #1

City: Key West, FL
Vessel Name: Semper Fi
Vessel Model: 2005 Great Harbour N37
SeaPiper 35 Trawler New Build Photos

The first SeaPiper 35 has been delivered and the company has started to update the computer renderings on their website with photos of the actual boat. I have been corresponding with the company president Ritzo Muntinga for the past year and have been very impressed with the quality of the materials and the construction process of these unique little vessels. He has given me permission to post the photo link below so that anyone who is interested can see for themselves what I mean.

Of particular note and interest to me is that every new owner(s) will be issued a complete set of customized schematics for their boat. They remind me of the schematics I used to teach B-727 ground school and cover the electrical, plumbing, fuel and heating and cooling systems. This is a very professional touch and I am sure that most of us would love to have something similar for our boats.

I am posting this information because I think the SeaPiper 35 provides a traditional small trawler offering, not seen since the Willard 30, for customers looking for such a vessel. Obviously the SeaPiper is not for everyone, but if you are looking for a small capable and extremely fuel efficient (6+ MPG) trawler, it is certainly worthy of your consideration. Spending the summers exploring the Great Lakes and then having your boat shipped to Florida on a standard tractor trailer rig for the winter has a certain appeal to me. If I were not a full time live aboard, it would be something that I would look at closely.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DqNMCh6d08LGrUXq1

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seapiper 35.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	73492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seapiper 35 (2).jpg
Views:	543
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	73493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seapiper 35 (4).jpg
Views:	1278
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	73494  
Attached Images

Island Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:32 AM   #2
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
I predict thatís gonna be a very rolly boat when in anything over 2í on the beam. Just my opinion from dealing with my own rolly boat.

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:06 AM   #3
Guru

City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Kind of wonder if Seapiper is going to be a one trick pony or if they plan to expand their lineup. From their blog it looks like they have much nicer and more modern production facilities than our friends over in Gainesville.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I predict thatís gonna be a very rolly boat when in anything over 2í on the beam. Just my opinion from dealing with my own rolly boat.
That is a concern of mine as well because of the narrow beam. However, the hull is ballasted and it has a very low CG. That being said, the price point of the SeaPiper allows for the addition of a SeaKeeper 3 gyro stabilization system without breaking the bank.

https://www.seakeeper.com/seakeeper_...s/seakeeper-3/

The first two or three boats were ordered with a GENSET, but if the boat is ordered with the optional dual 175 amp alternator package from Beta, it really makes the GENSET somewhat of a mute point. Ritzo has said that he does not think the GENSET will be that popular of an option going forward and the space could be used to fit a SeaKeeper 3, which is DC powered and can easily be run off of the engine alternator(s).

Beta 85 | Betamarine US Ltd.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:50 AM   #5

SeaPiper 35 Systems Schematics

I have attached a 12 page systems schematics file for a typical SeaPiper 35. These really have to be to be seen to be fully appreciated. Whether you do most of the work on your boat yourself or have the work done for you, having an accurate systems schematic will make the job easier. A lot of time and effort was expended putting these together and the end result is very impressive.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SeaPiper 35 - SYSTEMS - Rev 1-15.pdf (2.38 MB, 589 views)
Old 03-01-2018, 02:32 PM   #6

City: Green Country
Seem pretty thorough. Always interesting to get a good visual of the complexity of even a 35 ft boat when outfitted with full amenities.
MRRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:40 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Bound View Post
That is a concern of mine as well because of the narrow beam. However, the hull is ballasted and it has a very low CG. That being said, the price point of the SeaPiper allows for the addition of a SeaKeeper 3 gyro stabilization system without breaking the bank.

https://www.seakeeper.com/seakeeper_...s/seakeeper-3/

The first two or three boats were ordered with a GENSET, but if the boat is ordered with the optional dual 175 amp alternator package from Beta, it really makes the GENSET somewhat of a mute point. Ritzo has said that he does not think the GENSET will be that popular of an option going forward and the space could be used to fit a SeaKeeper 3, which is DC powered and can easily be run off of the engine alternator(s).

Beta 85 | Betamarine US Ltd.

This boat would be a good candidate for the Seakeeper imo. I was recently on an open console 35í fishing boat with that gyro and boy was it impressive. I think itís like $40k installed however. Paravanes would be a much cheaper option obviously if they could be installed on this boat, but more of a pain to operate.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:47 PM   #8

PS - I'm pretty sure the photos in the linked files are taken in Long Beach/San Pedro with the gate and Cabrillio in the background.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:29 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
I have attached a 12 page systems schematics file for a typical SeaPiper 35. These really have to be to be seen to be fully appreciated. Whether you do most of the work on your boat yourself or have the work done for you, having an accurate systems schematic will make the job easier. A lot of time and effort was expended putting these together and the end result is very impressive.
You're acting as if the schematic is something unique. It's a standard expectation on any new boat. It should be no extra time and effort as it should be developed before the boat is built.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:52 PM   #10

City: New York
Quote:
That schematic is about the nicest I have seen in a boat at that pricepoint...nicely done..
Genecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
This boat would be a good candidate for the Seakeeper imo. I was recently on an open console 35í fishing boat with that gyro and boy was it impressive. I think itís like $40k installed however. Paravanes would be a much cheaper option obviously if they could be installed on this boat, but more of a pain to operate.
The SeaKeeper 3 lists for $27K and the money saved by passing on the GENSET would take a big bite out of that purchase price. Just speaking for myself, I think it would be worthwhile upgrade, no matter how you planned on using the boat.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:01 PM   #12
Guru

City: So-Cal
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Quote:
The SeaKeeper 3 lists for $27K and the money saved by passing on the GENSET would take a big bite out of that purchase price. Just speaking for myself, I think it would be worthwhile upgrade, no matter how you planned on using the boat.
That DC operated SK3 would be a good addition. I am going to bet SK sells a lot of those in the future for boats in this size range, including day trip fishermen.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
You're acting as if the schematic is something unique. It's a standard expectation on any new boat. It should be no extra time and effort as it should be developed before the boat is built.
Your new boat experience must be different than mine. I purchased a 2007 dealer demo Ranger R-21EC Tug in Hawaii and the systems documentation that came with it was not even remotely comparable. There was a generic owner's manual with two or three very basic system line drawings. Our 2005 Great Harbor N37 has a "Owners Manual and Tips for Operation of Systems". While helpful, it does not contain any system schematics.

What SeaPiper has done is very commendable and the key takeaway is that the system schematics will be customized for every customer. If you add a Fusion stereo, AIS transmitter or television during the build process, it will be reflected in your schematic. On the first page of the document I attached, there is circuitry for the crab haul winch which can be seen in some of the exterior photos. This schematic was as you said, developed well before construction was underway. I expect that this is the exception and not the rule for most small boat builders.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:30 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:

The SK rep said it was about $40k installed in that 35 Contender.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:01 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Your new boat experience must be different than mine. I purchased a 2007 dealer demo Ranger R-21EC Tug in Hawaii and the systems documentation that came with it was not even remotely comparable. There was a generic owner's manual with two or three very basic system line drawings. Our 2005 Great Harbor N37 has a "Owners Manual and Tips for Operation of Systems". While helpful, it does not contain any system schematics.

Did you ask Ranger if they had such? Great Harbour doesn't surprise me. The builders I've purchased from build boats from detailed plans and schematics. Nothing goes into a boat until it's on the plans. Now, many builders do not routinely provide them but upon request can supply them. The way Seapiper is doing it is the only right way and I imagine the drawing is coming before the install of equipment.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Did you ask Ranger if they had such? Great Harbour doesn't surprise me. The builders I've purchased from build boats from detailed plans and schematics. Nothing goes into a boat until it's on the plans. Now, many builders do not routinely provide them but upon request can supply them. The way Seapiper is doing it is the only right way and I imagine the drawing is coming before the install of equipment.
It was Ranger who sent me the link for the Word document owner's manual.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:48 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
It was Ranger who sent me the link for the Word document owner's manual.
That's disappointing. Now, I do know one yacht builder that furnishes schematics but your boat will be quite different as they contract the wiring and plumbing out to many different people and they don't do a very good job of following the schematics so all end up different.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:04 PM   #18
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I have a complete set of schematics for my North Pacific 43. Most of the time, they are accurate. However, they donít reflect the additions and changes that were made during commissioning here in the US or changes since. However, they were very helpful just last weekend.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:31 AM   #19

Quote:
That's disappointing. Now, I do know one yacht builder that furnishes schematics but your boat will be quite different as they contract the wiring and plumbing out to many different people and they don't do a very good job of following the schematics so all end up different.

Perhaps you'd post those from your current vessel? Not to be disturbing, but I do think the schematics posted earlier are somewhat unusual in their detail for both the cost, and the size of the vessel.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:55 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRRiley View Post
Perhaps you'd post those from your current vessel? Not to be disturbing, but I do think the schematics posted earlier are somewhat unusual in their detail for both the cost, and the size of the vessel.
Perhaps so for the cost and size.

I do think that should be an expectation on any new build, however, even if it's not something some builders provide. It's not just a reflection of thoroughness, it's a reflection of doing things the right way. You build by detailed plans and specifications as opposed to those who build a hull and then just start putting things in as they fit and without having a real plan in advance.

This is where I also have an issue with many who build in one place and commission in another and fail to put the commissioning in the original plans. They then don't have complete detailed plans and also all the commissioning isn't part of their balancing and stability and general performance criteria. The location of generators and water makers and batteries can make a lot of difference on a small or moderate sized boat. You have a naval architect lay everything out and then at the end you start placing things without any plan from or review by him. There have even been cases of builders still playing with ballast and a boat flipping into the water at launch.

That brings an additional question. For those who get original schematics, do you update as you make changes and additions along the way. I wonder if anyone here has bought a used boat that had original plans plus changes made to them. I doubt it, unfortunately.