Old 08-09-2018, 10:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: New Bern, NC
Vessel Name: Semper Fi
Vessel Model: 2005 Great Harbour N37
SeaPiper 35 Delivery Update and Reviews

The first SeaPiper 35 to be delivered was sold after its debut at the Newport, CA boat show in April. The introductory sales price for the boat was $169K and included an extensive options list with a GENSET, autopilot, electronics and a diesel heater as part of the package. This was a great deal for the buyer of Hull #1 and will not be available on subsequent deliveries. That being said, you can still have a well optioned new boat for less than $200K.

SeaPiper has orders for 13 boats and is finishing up work on their own production facility in China which will allow them to build a boat a month. They will eventually have the ability to increase production to 2-3 boats a month as needed. Hull #4 will be delivered to their European distributor in the Netherlands and will be the first boat equipped with the SeaKeeper 2 Gyro. The SeaPiper is a good fit for Europe as it is perfect for the abundant canals and rivers as well as coastal passages.

The boating media has started to take notice and the first two reviews have just been published. The first review was an online write-up published last month on boats.com:

https://www.boats.com/reviews/seapiper-35-review/

The second review is in the August issue of Sea Magazine.

Note: Both reviews incorrectly state that the base price of $169K includes the listed options, which as mentioned, was only for Hull #1.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SEA Magazine - SeaPiper 35 review.compressed.pdf (736.7 KB, 193 views)

Island Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Additional SeaPiper Photos

Here is a link to the brokerage listing for Hull #1 at Dick Simon Yachts. There are a lot of detailed interior and below deck photos.

2018 35' SEAPIPER 35 Trawler Yacht SOLD in Dana Point California

Old 08-10-2018, 05:04 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Very interesting boat. They never should have disclosed what they sold Hull #1 for though. Good reviews and both to point out things the reviewer would want different. Sounds like the Gyro is a must and something good to mount instruments on.

I know it's contrary to the spirit of the boat, but do you know if Air Conditioning can be added?

We were just imagining some of the interesting places one could trailer the boat to.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

"I know it's contrary to the spirit of the boat, but do you know if Air Conditioning can be added?"

Not contrary at all, the optional A/C package includes a Dometic 6000 BTU unit in the stateroom and a 10,000 BTU unit for the pilothouse and galley.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:00 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Bound View Post
"I know it's contrary to the spirit of the boat, but do you know if Air Conditioning can be added?"

Not contrary at all, the optional A/C package includes a Dometic 6000 BTU unit in the stateroom and a 10,000 BTU unit for the pilothouse and galley.
I don't think it's contrary, but I'm thinking a lot of people would.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I don't think it's contrary, but I'm thinking a lot of people would.

Only the ones that have never boated in the south. Running my A/C unit right now in New Bern, NC.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:05 AM   #7

City: St. Petersburg, Floriduh
Vessel Name: Mariso
Vessel Model: 43-ft American Boatworks custom
Thank you for keeping us updated on this nifty boat, Island Bound.

Interesting too-short interview with the designer Ritzo Muntinga here:

https://www.morganscloud.com/2016/05...l-geezer-boat/

His explanation of his topsides design is perfect, i.e. why he has no aft cockpit. The 8'6" beam dictated his design, and I must say it is the best design attempt I have seen to marry a skinny trailerable beam with a functional cruising boat.

For me, the most intriguing statement on their website is:

"The cast iron internal ballast set in resin adds to the impact strength of the hull: most of the hull bottom is more than 3 inches thick."

Ballast set in resin in the bottom of the hull? While I appreciate the concept of ballasting a narrow beam boat for stability purposes, it is a brand new concept to me to ballast the hull instead of the keel. This makes me wonder if the cast iron is one piece and how much of the hull area contains it. Perhaps the designer was trying to avoid a full-length keel in order to achieve less draft, and therefore could not ballast the keel? Or perhaps the weight of the fuel tanks dictated some offsetting weight at the opposite end? This little note about the hull ballast makes me wish they would explain it in more detail on their website.

Would love to hear one of the naval architects on TF chime in here.

Cheers,
Pea
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side view.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	79603  
Attached Images

Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #8
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I certainly can see how nice that boat would be for someone like me who might be interested in traveling to do a portion of the loop. I can see it being nice for a couple when traveling from town to town with lots of opportunities to tie up to a dock or pier and get off the boat.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #9
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
It’s a lot like the Ranger boats but w the cabin aft.
I wouldn’t want it w/o the cabin and engine moved well fwd. But I realize the far fwd wheelhouse on the Rangers is a flaw one must choose which bad they are willing to put up with. Good balance and a fwd located wheelhouse w good visability is a must for me. I’ll bet the market will force the builder to a more typical engine and wheelhouse location in the near future.
I’m keen on most of the rest of the boat though.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Trom View Post
Thank you for keeping us updated on this nifty boat, Island Bound.

Interesting too-short interview with the designer Ritzo Muntinga here:

https://www.morganscloud.com/2016/05...l-geezer-boat/

His explanation of his topsides design is perfect, i.e. why he has no aft cockpit. The 8'6" beam dictated his design, and I must say it is the best design attempt I have seen to marry a skinny trailerable beam with a functional cruising boat.

For me, the most intriguing statement on their website is:

"The cast iron internal ballast set in resin adds to the impact strength of the hull: most of the hull bottom is more than 3 inches thick."

Ballast set in resin in the bottom of the hull? While I appreciate the concept of ballasting a narrow beam boat for stability purposes, it is a brand new concept to me to ballast the hull instead of the keel. This makes me wonder if the cast iron is one piece and how much of the hull area contains it. Perhaps the designer was trying to avoid a full-length keel in order to achieve less draft, and therefore could not ballast the keel? Or perhaps the weight of the fuel tanks dictated some offsetting weight at the opposite end? This little note about the hull ballast makes me wish they would explain it in more detail on their website.

Would love to hear one of the naval architects on TF chime in here.

Cheers,
Pea

From Ritzo himself:

SeaPiper's hull is of a box keel design. The keel volume emerges from the hull, starting out very wide and narrowing as you go aft. The bottom panel of the hull (and keel box) is completely flat, it is however angled 2 degrees aft. The maximum width of the flat bottom is right around station 4 and then it evenly tapers to the keel tip.

So now you have a hull with a wide keel box area amidships allowing the engine to sit all the way in the bottom with a horizontal prop shaft for maximum propulsion efficiency. And the boat will sit happily on its flat bottom too.

The installed ballast covers the inside of this bottom panel pretty much evenly, so the majority of the ballast is also situated around station 4. This works out perfectly as trim for the pilothouse and galley superstructure weight.

We are using steel ballast in the first hulls but will move to several cast iron blocks cast exactly to size in future hulls. Either solution works fine.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #11
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
I would like to see better photos of the box keel...would open up whole new worlds of opportunities if you could beach the boat and have it sit comfortably and level on its bottom.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #12
Guru

SeaPiper 35 Delivery Update and Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Itís a lot like the Ranger boats but w the cabin aft.
I wouldnít want it w/o the cabin and engine moved well fwd. But I realize the far fwd wheelhouse on the Rangers is a flaw one must choose which bad they are willing to put up with. Good balance and a fwd located wheelhouse w good visability is a must for me. Iíll bet the market will force the builder to a more typical engine and wheelhouse location in the near future.
Iím keen on most of the rest of the boat though.

One of the things that was hard to get used to when we went to a trawler was how far forward the helm was. I was so used to piloting from the aft of the boat that it was a bit unnerving to look forward from the helm and only be able to see 1/3 of the boat.

My point, such as it is, is that I think I would get used to the helm position pretty quickly.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-11-2018, 03:23 PM   #13

City: St. Petersburg, Floriduh
Vessel Name: Mariso
Vessel Model: 43-ft American Boatworks custom
So, the ballast is centered. Thank you, IB.
Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Annapolis, MD
Vessel Name: Think Big
Vessel Model: Camano Troll 2003
I wish this had the hull side portholes like my Camano 31. I love the view while laying down. Even without them though, this is the only new trawler that has my attention as a potential replacement for the troll down the road. The twin cabin design is very similar to the wooden custom built Strumpet I really loved.
MiltonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:57 PM   #15
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2000 Camano 31'
Beam Captain! I need more beam! Even if one added a $30k stabilizer that boat would not fare well in my neck of the woods.

Very cool boat though and the sub $200k pricetag for a 35' boat is very impressive in todays market! Most new boats in that size range are at least double the cost.

Slow Lane
Camano for sale
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
Beam Captain! I need more beam! Even if one added a $30k stabilizer that boat would not fare well in my neck of the woods.

Very cool boat though and the sub $200k pricetag for a 35' boat is very impressive in todays market! Most new boats in that size range are at least double the cost.

I would have no use for the boat in my waters either, but I can certainly see where it would be nice for some purposes and the ability to ship it in a container or tow it to another location would be great.

As Iíve said before, while Iím not the target audience, I am glad to see builders exploring other options.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-11-2018, 07:09 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I would have no use for the boat in my waters either...
People traveled by canoe from S.E. Alaska, through BC, back and forth to Haida Gwaii, and into Washington State for thousands of years. You just have to pick your days to travel.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
I would like to see better photos of the box keel...would open up whole new worlds of opportunities if you could beach the boat and have it sit comfortably and level on its bottom.
Here are some hull photos of Hull #1 under construction from the News Blog section of the SeaPiper website. I really like the fact that the fuel, water and holding tanks are all built into the hull out of fiberglass. Our Great Harbour trawler is built the same way.

News Blog - SeaPiper
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SeaPiper-35-hull-1-pic.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	79638   Click image for larger version

Name:	seapiper_hulll_plug-1024x768.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	79639   Click image for larger version

Name:	seapiper1_2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	79640  
Old 08-11-2018, 07:38 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
People traveled by canoe from S.E. Alaska, through BC, back and forth to Haida Gwaii, and into Washington State for thousands of years. You just have to pick your days to travel.

Iím not saying it couldnít be done but the design doesnít fit how I use a boat here in the PNW. That doesnít mean it is a bad design, but form follows function and we all acquire boats that will work with how we anticipate using the boat.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-11-2018, 08:01 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Bound View Post
Here are some hull photos of Hull #1 under construction from the News Blog section of the SeaPiper website. I really like the fact that the fuel, water and holding tanks are all built into the hull out of fiberglass. Our Great Harbour trawler is built the same way.

News Blog - SeaPiper
Thanks...that helps. I can see now how the bow section transitions into the box keel, which then transitions into the traditional keel at the stern. Should sit solidly (as in not rocky side to side) on the beach