Seamanship of The Highest Caliber

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xsbank

Guru
Vessel Name
Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Make
Custom Aluminum 52
Found this when I stripped off my anchor chain:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 155
How far down the chain? Meaning is this the sacrificial line that connects the rode to the boat to facilitate emergency cut off?

Atleast he used high quality panduit tie raps. And yes I would know which brand they were.;) :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Atleast he used high quality panduit tie raps. And yes I would know which brand they were.;) :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

And he used two!
HOLLYWOOD

50 meters chain, 30 meters rope, not only did it have THAT thing under there, the rope was way too light for 50'

50 meters chain, 30 meters rope, not only did it have THAT thing under there, the rope was way too light for 50'

Perhaps the extra rope was so the chain could be buoyed and sent overboard for later recovery?

What's the big deal?

If the photo shows where the line is backspliced to make a loop to connect to the chain, it doesn't need anything to secure it and the Tywraps are redundant anyway.

There seems to be a single Tywrap used as a marker in the photo ... how come that doesn't bother anyone?

Sure it would have looked "salty" if it had been whipped with small stuff but so what? Quite a few recreational boaters just like to run around on their boats, they don't worry about trying to look like they spent an apprenticeship on a 19th century whaling vessel

What's the big deal?

Quite a few recreational boaters just like to run around on their boats, they don't worry about trying to look like they spent an apprenticeship on a 19th century whaling vessel

Yeah, I think I missed that apprenticeship too.

How far down the chain? Meaning is this the sacrificial line that connects the rode to the boat to facilitate emergency cut off?
Agree with you and Rick...from that picture alone...assumptions made make a ...well we all know the other part of the saying...:D

The whole thing has gone to the dump.

Last edited by a moderator:
. . . . . . the sacrificial line that connects the rode to the boat to facilitate emergency cut off?

That's what I took it to be - not pretty, but serviceable enough.

As we all know, such a line can also save the hapless skipper from watching the inboard end of his anchor chain disappear through the bow fairlead when dropping the hook in a hurry. Of course this only works if the bitter end is made fast to the boat! I am not suggesting that such a boo boo has ever happened to a member of this salty forum, but I have heard stories of other less seasoned mariners . . . .

Last edited:
I thought possibly the same till the OP said 30 meters of it.

Heck - What's wrong w/ 5 layer wraps of good quality black electric tape? If you know how to apply it and to end it correctly then it virtually never lets loose, lasting for a decade or more. Much more svelte than wire tie bump! Also, saves wire ties for more important matters... like... ya know, securing wires, fuel lines and things! I toooo am into get the job done!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom