Seakeeper Gyro Stabilization

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rabend

I am considering the purchase of a 41' tug design trawler with a Seakeeper M8000 installed. I have read quite a number of concerns with gyro stabilization. One is that in really rough conditions the gyro must be turned off. Seakeeper says that is not true with their system. I would appreciate any objective inputs on this topic and if anyone has had experience with gyro installations on smaller vessels.

Thanks

Do a quick search... RIckB asked about this a couple of months ago.

Do you have to run the gen all the time?

Apparently not. It will run off a 3000 W inverter while underway.
If it has a 12 volt system, you'll need around a 300 amp alternator. Does the vessel have that? If not, you will be running the genset.

The 8000 requires 1500 to 2000 watts to keep it running while underway so you'll need to have cruise gen or alternator capacity to keep it spinning while cruising. It takes about 35 minutes to get it up to full RPM drawing 3000 watts during this startup phase. This suggests the genset is running during the spool up time. Herein lies the advantage to active stabilizers, they are on and off at the push of a button and no high electric requirements.

How many hours on the genset and main engine, this is a tell regarding prior operation using genset to keep it going?

any objective inputs on this topic

An objective point might be that this style boat is NOT going out far in the blue water ,

So >One is that in really rough conditions the gyro must be turned off.< would not matter very much.

Std Flopper stoppers work fine but are more work than throwing a switch.

SO that means that you will NOT able to use pretty much anything else with that on.:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom