Old 08-19-2014, 11:23 PM   #1
Guru

Sea Trial - New Boat Search

As part of our ongoing search for our next boat I took a closer look at a boat I first went aboard in 2007. I never let go of this make/model since being impressed with it during my short time aboard despite continuing to build our second Nordhavn 40, almost building a Kadey Krogen
then purchasing our third Nordhavn (N3522). My interest in this boat was fueled by learning that two previous Nordhavn owners purchased this same boat after selling their Nordhavn's but still wanted a boat with similar quality and reliability, capable of serious coastal cruising at an affordable price.

As luck would have it the weather was unusually favorable with clear skies, little wind and temperatures in the low 80's (hate when that happens) and didn't allow for everything I wanted in a sea trial but we managed. Up until now my experience with this boat was through knowledgeable owners and two previous trips to look at the boat and other models tied to the docks.

First impressions of the boat upon walking up to it was that this is a large boat for its LOA. Boarding the boat through the swim step confirmed my need for port and starboard boarding doors (no problem adding) and welcomed me to a large protected aft deck. Entry into the salon provided a nice size with very functional galley. A few steps forward lead me to the oversize pilothouse and one of the best features of this boat. The forward single OSR with separate shower and head compartments offered nice space and very functional. Up top the flybridge and aft deck was much larger then what I was use to and well designed.

The sea-trial provided more then I expected despite the calm conditions (you can get a feel how a boat will handle cutting against and taking beam cells from other large boats) combined with other maneuvers. The sound level of the newer electric diesel was a nice surprise compared to the Lugger and Yanmar we were use to. Handling and visibility was also a step above what we were accustomed to.

So in the end I walked away asking myself if I had found our next boat that meets our 90% rule (live aboard and serious coastal cruising - San Diego to PNW and Cabo San Lucas).

Time will tell as we continue our research and still look closely at building one more Nordhavn but now there is a serious contender in the equation.

We should make our decision within the next 30 days and will advise. I hope this was "fun" to read as it was not intended to play games but provide readers with something different while at the same time some insight into what goes into purchasing a new boat. As always we welcome comments and input in a positive nature to help all of us on this great site see what goes into finding their right boat.

John T.

N4050 - Former Owner
N4061 - Former Owner
N3522 - Former Owner
Dreamer of next boat

N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
And the boat make and model is????

Old 08-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Yeah, that's my question too.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
I guess it's a "dream boat."
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
The make, model, size and age of the boat is really irrelevant. The process Mr. N4061 is describing is just that, the process. Either one already owns a boat and knows what they'd like to change for the next one or one is trying to narrow down the multitude of choices/options for their first boat.
It's good to be familiar with a lot of different vessels and layouts but it's also bad in a way. VERY easy to choose between two vessels but when asked to choose between 8 or 10, the necessity to be specific as to wants and needs becomes much more important. The REAL kick in the pants occurs when one thinks they have finally found THE boat and a completely new option presents itself. Just my $.02.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
Guru

Well yeah, he's describing a process. But it's a process that seems to involve a very specific boat.

"As part of our ongoing search for our next boat I took a closer look at a boat I first went aboard in 2007. I never let go of this make/model since being impressed with it during my short time aboard"

So it would be kind of interesting to know just what boat stuck with him this long that he involved it in the process yet again.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:45 PM   #7
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
tease!
Old 08-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #8
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Sea Trial - New Boat Search

Yeah I don't get why you can't give the make in the first place? Do you like messing with us?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #9
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Playing ones cards close to the vest is smart if considering entering negotiations. Boat names, listing links, make & model are all popular Google keywords.

A "savvy" seller would do well to Google search those keywords on his "own" boat whenever an offer comes in to gather possible intel on the potential buyers motivation. Likewise a "savvy" buyer would do well to avoid chatting up his choice in advance of the close.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:11 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Playing ones cards close to the vest is smart if considering entering negotiations....
Exactly what John did when buying the boat he promptly resold. John`s right and choice, but maybe discussion could help. Anyway, I bet it`s another N.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:30 PM   #11
Enigma

Greetings,
As I said in post #5 boat particulars are not important. It's the process that is being explained. There is the "Shhh" factor but again not important nor relevant to the process. Jeepers, what a bunch of old women. Next thing you know you'll be wanting to know Mr. 4061's shoe size.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:19 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
. Next thing you know you'll be wanting to know Mr. 4061's shoe size.

Not the size, just the type of shoe.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:46 AM   #13
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
So far John has not found the right boat. This is good news for the brokers during the past 3 transactions. Almost anything will work for John's cruising plans so it is easy to understand the indecision and suspense.

Tighten the mission plans and budget then reality and purchase will occur. Oh what the heck, just buy the KK 52 John.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:39 AM   #14
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
I get the process, but...

Hard to imagine the freedom to go through NEW Nordhavn builds like a hot knife through warm butter... and still not being satisfied with the current boat.

FWIW, I don't shop for (or dream about) boats. Instead, I'm all over individual "features" that I want a boat to have. Or maybe a few features that could be swapped into a boat that doesn't already have whatever...

(It happens I'm pretty easy to satisfy: I simply imagine our current boat but with a full-beam and en suite master instead of our second guest stateroom (storage room), systems improvements to match, along with easier access to systems for maintenance and service. If space and design permits, a lower helm in a raised pilothouse would be nifty.)

Anyway, if I had the economic freedom to buy that many new boats, I think I'd more likely look for a production or semi-production boat that comes closest, have the builder (or somebody) modify the snot out of it if necessary... take delivery ideally within about 6 months... and go boating.

Now If I could just remember to actually PLAY the lottery, I might stand more of a chance...

-Chris
Old 08-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Methinks John enjoys looking, buying, selling, building. He will always be in pursuit of his perfect boat. Nothing wrong with any of that. We share some of the sickness as we do love researching potential boats, looking at unique ones, learning about different ones.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #16
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Lots of good to be said about looking, researching, designing, modifying... and of course buying, selling, building... but I don't have the bucks to follow through with those last three.

I guess I still have to remind myself to PLAY the lottery, if I expect any progress on that front.

In the meantime, I've gotten pretty good at adapting what we've got into how we use it. Or maybe that's an equal part of adapting how we use it based on what we've got.

It's all good boating to us, though

-Chris
Old 08-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #17
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Methinks John enjoys looking, buying, selling, building. He will always be in pursuit of his perfect boat. Nothing wrong with any of that. We share some of the sickness as we do love researching potential boats, looking at unique ones, learning about different ones.

This is the "enjoyment" that means there are better boats for the rest of us to dream about (and a few to acquire).
Following his reasoning can help us decide how or to modify our boats.
Ted
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:57 PM   #18
Scraping Paint

City: -
It's fascinating (to me) to see the different ways people get enjoyment or fulfillment or both from a single type of thing--- a boat.

There is the fellow that for the entire 16 years we've been in this marina, worked on a large (50' ?) wood cruiser in a boathouse near us. He worked on the boat year round. The hull was stripped and repainted at least three times. From what I could see of the boat, the paint was flawless the first time we saw it, but apparently it wasn't to the owner. So far as we knew, the boat never left the boathouse except to turn it around from time to time. But every weekend when we went to our boat, this fellow or the people he hired were beavering away on the exterior and interior of this boat.

So to this guy, the "working on it" aspect is what he wants out of boating.

Then there are the boats we've seen out and about in the islands that are physicaly somewhat beat up. Bad paint, bad or no varnish, rust, etc. But they get used constantly. So to thse owners, it's all about the "using," not the "working on."

I know people I call "dreamers," folks who have a boat that suits their needs but are always thinking about other boats. They never (so far, anyway) act on their dreams, I think because all the boats they look at and drool over are beyond their current means or are too big for their slip or whatever. But they never stop looking and talking about the "perfect" boat they saw last week on the guest dock or in the yard or out at some harbor in the islands.

We (my wife and I) love having a cruising boat but we have very little interest in the looking and shopping process. The same, by the way, is true of vehicles. We decide beforehand what we want to do with a boat, what kind (make, model) of boat will do what we want to do while meeting our aesthetic and operational requirements, and then in the case of the cruising boat we've had for he past 16 years, we hire someone to find us one.

Now, after owning and using this boat on a year-round basis, we have a pretty good idea of what we want that our present boat doesn't have. As there are no production boats that fit all our requirements the solution became obvious--- have a boat designed and built to do exactly what we want it to do. So to us, we like using a boat, and we've enjoyed (most of the time) working on the one we've had for the last bunch of years, but we've no interest in the dreaming-walking docks-shopping aspect of boating.

Then there are the people who are always searching. They buy a boat, use it for a year or three, then buy another boat, use it for a year or three, then buy another boat, and the pattern continues. Of the people we've known that do this, their reasons were never that they didn't like their previous boat, they simply wanted something "different."

So lots of ways people approach boating, and lots of ways a boat can satisfy someone. While one can look askance, as we did, at the fellow who spent at least 16 years working on a boat that was already perfect, there's no right or wrong. There's just "different."
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #19
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
It's fascinating (to me) to see the different ways people get enjoyment or fulfillment or both from a single type of thing--- a boat.

Then there are the boats we've seen out and about in the islands that are physicaly somewhat beat up. Bad paint, bad or no varnish, rust, etc. But they get used constantly. So to thse owners, it's all about the "using," not the "working on."

I know people I call "dreamers," folks who have a boat that suits their needs but are always thinking about other boats. They never (so far, anyway) act on their dreams, I think because all the boats they look at and drool over are beyond their current means or are too big for their slip or whatever. But they never stop looking and talking about the "perfect" boat they saw last week on the guest dock or in the yard or out at some harbor in the islands.

Then there are the people who are always searching. They buy a boat, use it for a year or three, then buy another boat, use it for a year or three, then buy another boat, and the pattern continues. Of the people we've known that do this, their reasons were never that they didn't like their previous boat, they simply wanted something "different."

So lots of ways people approach boating, and lots of ways a boat can satisfy someone. While one can look askance, as we did, at the fellow who spent at least 16 years working on a boat that was already perfect, there's no right or wrong. There's just "different."
I think you are 100% correct in this...

I believe that there are people that dream of cruising. They think, "If I just had a XXX boat I would go cruising. So, they justify to themselves not cruising because they need a XXX boat to do it.

These people will never actually go cruising, but boat shopping, and boat buying keeps the dream alive. Thats good because it brings them happiness.

Then there are people like Larry, and Richard, and Melanie and John that buy whatever their budget can afford and actually go cruising. Thats good as well because it brings them happiness.

Yes, boats and boating is different things to different people.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:51 PM   #20
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. Marin. I concur and might I add: "Gee willikers...I had a so many foot brand X years ago. I wish I had it now". I've heard that on several occasions.