Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Adelaide's Avatar
 
City: La Conner, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Mine might have come close...the hydrolysis problem was at least 1/2 way through the laminates on a 5x5 foot section underneath the starboard fuel tank spanning more than 2 ribs. The serious damage may have come when the boat was out of the water and the weight of the fuel tanks may have exceeded the strength of that section and started to crack ribs. Another few winter freeze thaw cycles on this severely delaminated area was disturbing.

The only way to find a problem like mine is hull coring or grinding...I just happened to get there because of my "cosmetic" blisters as described by the surveyor and I decided to strip and barrier coat.

My estimation is there are other 1980's vintage boats out there where there is a much bigger problem than the owners know...but a fresh coat of bottom paint keeps everyone happy.
That looks horrible. But your boat wouldn't have sunk today, tomorrow or in 20 years. You won't find pictures of boats that sunk due to blisters, you just won't. I'm all for spot fixing large blisters or those with the financial means to pay for costly correction.... Otherwise, for most people, it's a waste of time and energy on a 30-40 year old boat to strip, dry out, and apply controversial barrier coats (many failures). The old diesel engine will fail long before the boat sinks from blisters. We'll just have to agree to disagree as to the importance of chasing this 'cosmetic' problem. Here is a good read:

Is the Repair of Blistered Bottoms Mandatory? Based on the foregoing discussion, the obvious conclusion in most cases is negative. If the blisters cannot be shown to be causing significant damage, then repair is certainly not mandatory, despite the many horror stories you may hear from people trying to sell you a costly repair job. If the blisters are large and numerous, it would be wise to seek unbiased, professional advice before you proceed. Bear in mind that blister repair jobs are now big business for boat yards, so that taking advice from yard managers may not be a good idea.
Yes, blisters are unsightly and may cause a resale problem. These are all factors you must weigh, in addition to the very high cost, when deciding to repair or not. Further, you should also be aware that the number of failed blister repair jobs that surveyor's find is very high. No one's ever going to know why blister repairs fail because no one is going to spend the money to find out. That there are so many should also play a role in your decision to repair or not. And even though the repairer may give a warranty on the repairs, you'd best get it in writing and read the fine print. Then make sure the repairer is likely to be around years later to honor that warranty if it becomes necessary.-----David Pascoe
__________________
Advertisement

Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #42
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
That looks horrible. But your boat wouldn't have sunk today, tomorrow or in 20 years. You won't find pictures of boats that sunk due to blisters, you just won't. I'm all for spot fixing large blisters or those with the financial means to pay for costly correction.... Otherwise, for most people, it's a waste of time and energy on a 30-40 year old boat to strip, dry out, and apply controversial barrier coats (many failures). The old diesel engine will fail long before the boat sinks from blisters. We'll just have to agree to disagree as to the importance of chasing this 'cosmetic' problem. Here is a good read:

Is the Repair of Blistered Bottoms Mandatory? Based on the foregoing discussion, the obvious conclusion in most cases is negative. If the blisters cannot be shown to be causing significant damage, then repair is certainly not mandatory, despite the many horror stories you may hear from people trying to sell you a costly repair job. If the blisters are large and numerous, it would be wise to seek unbiased, professional advice before you proceed. Bear in mind that blister repair jobs are now big business for boat yards, so that taking advice from yard managers may not be a good idea.
Yes, blisters are unsightly and may cause a resale problem. These are all factors you must weigh, in addition to the very high cost, when deciding to repair or not. Further, you should also be aware that the number of failed blister repair jobs that surveyor's find is very high. No one's ever going to know why blister repairs fail because no one is going to spend the money to find out. That there are so many should also play a role in your decision to repair or not. And even though the repairer may give a warranty on the repairs, you'd best get it in writing and read the fine print. Then make sure the repairer is likely to be around years later to honor that warranty if it becomes necessary.-----David Pascoe
I don't know if it would have failed in under 20 years and neither do you or Pascoe...I have a much better idea of the problem than either of you because I was on my back for 4 months grinding and doing the repair.

There have been boats deemed unseaworthy by the USCG because of blisters and the owners recouped money from the manufacturers.

Is hydrolysis a huge problem for everyone?...absolutely not...can it be a huge problem for some boats?...absolutely. Hydrolysis and blister are related but not exactly the same.

Suggesting to people otherwise is a disservice and forming conclusions from internet pictures (whether it be blisters/hydrolysis or hull speed) can be absolutely ludicrous.
__________________

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:27 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
Adelaide's Avatar
 
City: La Conner, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I don't know if it would have failed in under 20 years and neither do you or Pascoe...I have a much better idea of the problem than either of you because I was on my back for 4 months grinding and doing the repair.

There have been boats deemed unseaworthy by the USCG because of blisters and the owners recouped money from the manufacturers.

Is hydrolysis a huge problem for everyone?...absolutely not...can it be a huge problem for some boats?...absolutely. Hydrolysis and blister are related but not exactly the same.

Suggesting to people otherwise is a disservice and forming conclusions from internet pictures (whether it be blisters/hydrolysis or hull speed) can be absolutely ludicrous.
With all due respect Psneeld, We are talking about what a professional surveyor stated to the Original Poster..... The surveyor said it was cosmetic, the vast majority are. Your scare tactics and pictures of what you did personally to your boat is really the disservice here. I would never suggest someone take on what you did alone. Nor would I ever recommend someone buy a boat from someone who did there own blister bottom job. It would, IMO be more likely to fail than professional jobs (not talking about you specifically). Potentially having done more damage than if that person left it alone.

Remember Psneeld, we're talking about under $50K, 30+ year old boats. It's completely unnecessary to chase problems like blisters and you certainly shouldn't run away from a prospective boat due to cosmetic blisters.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:47 AM   #44
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
....You won't find pictures of boats that sunk due to blisters, you just won't.
Could be you are on safe ground because they are not worth salvage to photograph.
I respect you have a strong view on this, but still disagree.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:17 AM   #45
TF Site Team
 
Peter B's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,671
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
I'm with Adelaide here, but with the proviso the blisters are not huge. When I had my pre-purchase survey done on Lotus 11 yrs ago now, he spotted a number of blisters, (quite a number actually - mostly ~ 20 cent coin size, (ok, Aussie coinage if you want to be pedantic, ie ~ 3 cm across), and he commented he had never seen a boat sunk by blisters. I photographed them, and have continued to monitor them over the last 11 yrs, and they have essentially remained unchanged, as they had for the previous duration the PO had done likewise. So expensive peel and re-fill and re-coat would have been a waste of time and money, not worth it in the context of a then $60k boat. If I had let myself be put off at that time, I would have missed out on a great boat, because no similar design in the sedan version, which was affordable to me, ever came along. I know, because I kept watching out of interest. New ones are $360k.
__________________
Pete
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:48 AM   #46
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
With all due respect Psneeld, We are talking about what a professional surveyor stated to the Original Poster..... The surveyor said it was cosmetic, the vast majority are. Your scare tactics and pictures of what you did personally to your boat is really the disservice here. I would never suggest someone take on what you did alone. Nor would I ever recommend someone buy a boat from someone who did there own blister bottom job. It would, IMO be more likely to fail than professional jobs (not talking about you specifically). Potentially having done more damage than if that person left it alone.

Remember Psneeld, we're talking about under $50K, 30+ year old boats. It's completely unnecessary to chase problems like blisters and you certainly shouldn't run away from a prospective boat due to cosmetic blisters.
Well...my surveyor said my blisters were cosmetic too...and that's really my point.

If you think that being able to flex your hull by pushing against it, underneath a 200 gallon fuel tank is normal then great.

I'm just saying there could be other boats out there with issues that "professionals" miss...how and when they might fail?...you are correct... who knows? I just chose what I felt was a better alternative.

They may never fail but a hull delaminated more than 1/2 way through certainly is NOT cosmetic...no one here would buy a boat with that issue or would they put to sea with it. Heck...some get nervous with a fuel drip. I trusted a well known, accredited surveyor to tell me because I was not able to be there for the haulout prior to purchase...and not sure I would have been able to get the leverage necessary to feel the hull flex.

Disservice? OK...don't check your boat or tell others to...what do I care? I don't want to scare anyone...but I don't come here to share information that I dream up like some pretending to be a NA, or tell everyone what great engines I have and can't find the dipstick, etc..etc.

If blisters are no big deal....then a owner bottom job must be no big deal either..never heard of a boat sinking because an owner did one. Interlux sell a lot of Interprotect..and I have never had any of the ones I've done or have seen done or heard of done by people I know fail....so what's the big deal with owner bottom jobs...in fact I've heard as many professional ones that didn't do anything /fail than by amateurs.

I know few boats probably are like mine...but what are the chances there are others like mine out there where a newbie and the typical surveyor just don't know it?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:09 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
Adelaide's Avatar
 
City: La Conner, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Well...my surveyor said my blisters were cosmetic too...and that's really my point.

If you think that being able to flex your hull by pushing against it, underneath a 200 gallon fuel tank is normal then great.

I'm just saying there could be other boats out there with issues that "professionals" miss...how and when they might fail?...you are correct... who knows? I just chose what I felt was a better alternative.

Psneeld, I understand your point. I am sure you did the right thing with your boat. I'm all for it. But this guy didn't say he could flex the hull like you suggest. I think where we have gone wrong here, is that we have made this too personal. We are talking about the Original Posters survey. You can easily check a blister by cutting it open, seeing if anything oozes out and smells. If nothing oozes out, most likely the blister is in the bottom paint. The surveyor (again professional) deemed the blisters on the OP surveyed boat as cosmetic (most blisters are), we should leave it at that and not suggest that the surveyor didn't do his job. That just isn't fair to the OP. Have a great day, if you're a college football fan, I hope your team wins.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
Adelaide's Avatar
 
City: La Conner, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Could be you are on safe ground because they are not worth salvage to photograph.

With 1-4 boats of that era having blisters, there would be 100,000+ boats all of the world. Someone would have taken a picture.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #49
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
Psneeld, I understand your point. I am sure you did the right thing with your boat. I'm all for it. But this guy didn't say he could flex the hull like you suggest. I think where we have gone wrong here, is that we have made this too personal. We are talking about the Original Posters survey. You can easily check a blister by cutting it open, seeing if anything oozes out and smells. If nothing oozes out, most likely the blister is in the bottom paint. The surveyor (again professional) deemed the blisters on the OP surveyed boat as cosmetic (most blisters are), we should leave it at that and not suggest that the surveyor didn't do his job. That just isn't fair to the OP. Have a great day, if you're a college football fan, I hope your team wins.
Here's is the only comment that the OP made about blisters that I can find...please point me to the post that I may have missed that's more explicit...

"Blisters - the surveyor didn't think they were to much of an issue. His recommendation, watch them each hull out and if changes occur repair. I didn't take pictures unfortunately but I would say there is maybe a total of 100 on the hull? But then again we could have some under the bottom paint, either way he didn't think there was anything to worry about. "

That is very little info to go on...nowhere that I could find did he say the surveyor popped the blisters or te odor that came from them. No where did he say anything about moisture in the hull or possible delam or voids....no where did he say where he DID find voids/delam that the hull could be/not be flexed.

What I highlighted in red is exactly what my "professional" surveyor said also.

Read up on blisters...boats without blisters can have a severe hydrolysis event going on and the "osmotic pressure" never developes or is past that stage because water has already migrated into the interior...or it's so porous that the in/out flow doesn't allow blisters to form.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #50
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,380
There are many Tollys for sale in the PNW fitting the price range OP desires. Why this one flawed as it is?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #51
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
There are blisters, and blisters. Generalization is unsafe, even if this case is cosmetic, though 100 in number would bother me.
Adelaide, I can`t meet your standard of proof and understand you may disregard this, but:
1. On my boat some blisters were ground about 1/2 inch deep before water intrusion was eradicated.
2. A shipwright told me he has had to grind through a hull to eradicate a blister, forming up a repair inside. I`ve no reason to disbelieve him.
3. An older sailboat, presenting at a yard I trust, had osmosis penetration deep enough to wet the interior. The furniture was glassed in, the cost of repair, including removing/replacing the furniture, made the boat not economically repairable.

There may be yards which "scare" people into unecessary repairs, but IMO, there are blisters which need repair and it is unsafe to assume otherwise in all cases.

I'll repost this for general interest...

Absolutely there are blisters and there are blisters...

If you have blisters...make darn sure that's all you have...I checked and discovered Pandora's box...most people just think all they have is blisters...and they are correct.

But some may have much worse and based on their "surveyor's" casual comments and a head in the sand approach...they may be sitting on something not very appealing to most boat owners.

Only a prospective buyer or owner can decide how far to go...I like to know what I'm sailing on.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
Adelaide's Avatar
 
City: La Conner, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I'll repost this for general interest...

Absolutely there are blisters and there are blisters...

If you have blisters...make darn sure that's all you have...I checked and discovered Pandora's box...most people just think all they have is blisters...and they are correct.

But some may have much worse and based on their "surveyor's" casual comments and a head in the sand approach...they may be sitting on something not very appealing to most boat owners.

Only a prospective buyer or owner can decide how far to go...I like to know what I'm sailing on.
Other than your comments about the Surveyor, which you don't know from Adam, nor have you seen a copy of the survey. I can agree with your assessment that most blisters are cosmetic but some need to be addressed. Have a great day! Go Cougs!!
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #53
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,937
For those that may be interested...

The best comparison to hydrolysis (the aggressive stage beyond blisters) might be cancer.

There may be lot of symptoms...maybe not. Most of the time it isn't cancer...thankfully.

The only way to know for sure is to do some tests...sometimes more advanced tests are necessary.

If it is cancer, the earlier you catch it the happier you will be because the chances of a full recovery may depend on it.

I am not trying to compare the personal issue here..just that it in my mind follows some of the same pathways of detection, diagnosis and cure.

If I am incorrect about the survey or surveyor's lack of depth, apologies to him and I hope the OP posts a bit more so I can adjust my opinion on his "blister" situation.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:17 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
bshillam's Avatar
 
City: Bellingham, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: Willard 30' Searcher
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 471
What a great thread about blisters,
First should anyone want a copy of the survey I'd be happy to share. As far as significant findings there was less than I expected. Which I can correct in just a few weeks time. (Other than the tank issue - that's going to take a few more) The surveyor did some hull sounding around the blisters and found they were localized. We did not do any destructive testing. However this surveyor is well respected in his industry, coming recommended by more than one brokerage in the area. Funny thing is I was looking at another Tolly that had similar issues and he was the surveyor on that boat too.

I am aware of two issues that will cost on this boat,

1. The tanks, enough said.
2. The moisture in the gel. We can explore taking off the piano hinge on the hatch in the cockpit and dry - hoping for no rot. Reseal and call it a day as well just aft of the diesel filler for the espar where the another moisture area is. One fixture being aftermarket and another being factory.

The other findings were minor, for about $500-700 I can correct all other findings on this survey. Most I will complete myself the others I will farm out while the tanks are being replaced.

I was present during the entire survey and feel confident in his work and experience. Engines have good compression too as well as the generator. I have oil samples being done on all so I can begin keeping records every other year or every year of the condition of the oil.

I will be hulling the boat for bottom paint this next spring or fall depending on remaining protection (after a little exploration) and will be addressing some of the larger blisters with fiberglass and epoxy. Furthermore I will be taking pictures during each hull out and add it to my maintenance book for future reference.

Cheers
__________________
Bringing the love of wood and water together, we create something you will treasure from the day you first row, sail, or power.
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
6-Pack's Avatar
 
City: Everett, Wa
Vessel Name: The 6-Pack
Vessel Model: 1983 45' CHB Europa Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
What a great thread about blisters,
First should anyone want a copy of the survey I'd be happy to share. As far as significant findings there was less than I expected. Which I can correct in just a few weeks time. (Other than the tank issue - that's going to take a few more) The surveyor did some hull sounding around the blisters and found they were localized. We did not do any destructive testing. However this surveyor is well respected in his industry, coming recommended by more than one brokerage in the area. Funny thing is I was looking at another Tolly that had similar issues and he was the surveyor on that boat too.

I am aware of two issues that will cost on this boat,

1. The tanks, enough said.
2. The moisture in the gel. We can explore taking off the piano hinge on the hatch in the cockpit and dry - hoping for no rot. Reseal and call it a day as well just aft of the diesel filler for the espar where the another moisture area is. One fixture being aftermarket and another being factory.

The other findings were minor, for about $500-700 I can correct all other findings on this survey. Most I will complete myself the others I will farm out while the tanks are being replaced.

I was present during the entire survey and feel confident in his work and experience. Engines have good compression too as well as the generator. I have oil samples being done on all so I can begin keeping records every other year or every year of the condition of the oil.

I will be hulling the boat for bottom paint this next spring or fall depending on remaining protection (after a little exploration) and will be addressing some of the larger blisters with fiberglass and epoxy. Furthermore I will be taking pictures during each hull out and add it to my maintenance book for future reference.

Cheers
Good luck and welcome to the fun! It is the best pace in the world to cruise and that tolly out of edmonds will be awesome for fishing the best spot in the puget sound. Pictures are awesome so continue to share the journey
__________________
Jeff & Michelle
The 6-Pack
1983 45' CHB Europa
6-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
bshillam's Avatar
 
City: Bellingham, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: Willard 30' Searcher
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 471
Pictures of the new vessel added to my albums. If anyone sees me on the water please feel free to shout out. Always have beer, wine or some eats aboard to share!
__________________
Bringing the love of wood and water together, we create something you will treasure from the day you first row, sail, or power.
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:32 PM   #57
Senior Member
 
Adelaide's Avatar
 
City: La Conner, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
Pictures of the new vessel added to my albums. If anyone sees me on the water please feel free to shout out. Always have beer, wine or some eats aboard to share!

Congrats bshillam! What's the name of your boat?
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #58
Senior Member
 
bshillam's Avatar
 
City: Bellingham, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: Willard 30' Searcher
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 471
We are thinking of naming, "My Heaven." However after spending some time with it we may change our minds. It was previously documented and we will be documenting in very short order as we plan on spending time in Canada.
__________________
Bringing the love of wood and water together, we create something you will treasure from the day you first row, sail, or power.
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #59
Senior Member
 
6-Pack's Avatar
 
City: Everett, Wa
Vessel Name: The 6-Pack
Vessel Model: 1983 45' CHB Europa Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
We are thinking of naming, "My Heaven." However after spending some time with it we may change our minds. It was previously documented and we will be documenting in very short order as we plan on spending time in Canada.
Nice dinghy!
__________________
Jeff & Michelle
The 6-Pack
1983 45' CHB Europa
6-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #60
Senior Member
 
Adelaide's Avatar
 
City: La Conner, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-Pack View Post

Nice dinghy!
Wow! I think the Dinghy is worth 10K+.... That is a nice Looking Tolly as well.
__________________

Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012