Old 09-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #41
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post
After we purchased our Bayliner that sank in Katrina (about 9 years ago) our first trip was across Lake Ponchatrain to New Orleans. We saw a Sea Tow boat for the first time and I remember getting an application and thinking it would be a good idea. Within 2 months, at night on Lake Ponchatrain in a storm, we were taking on water and at risk of sinking (long story) and we called Sea Tow. He came across the lake and got us to our slip in Madisonville. We hadn't signed up, so the bill was over $700. I would have gladly paid $7,000!
I know the story...have been at the towing vessel end of it many times..

Just for everyone's info out there...if you are taking on water and need to be dewatered, even while being towed.....that's usually not a covered item in assistance towing membership. The company can charge extra for that...and while if you need it you need it (and your insurance will probably cover it)...make sure you ask up front and get a reasonable charge from the tower.

If it's broad daylight and calm conditions...maritime courts/arbitration usually only allows a reasonable hourly rate...but if it's a dark and stormy...watch out as the charges can go to true salvage percentages of the yacht.

If you haven't already, go to the Sea Tow or Boat US website and read the sections on salvage as they might save you a lot of aggravation when/if the time comes because you won't need the captain to explain everything as the cold water gets higher on your ankles or has to scream above the wind driven breakers on the rocks under you...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #42
Guru

City: Pensacola
Is Sea Tow, Calender year or Date of sign up?
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #43
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post
Is Sea Tow, Calender year or Date of sign up?
I'm pretty sure both majors are 365 from when you sign up...around here a lot of guys sign up whenever, then renew at the winter boat show so their membership doesn't expire during their main season.

I'm also pretty sure they both have auto renewal if you give them a credit card.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #44
Guru

City: Pensacola
thanks Psneeld.
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post
thanks Psneeld.
Don't leave home without it...

Actually...I love the job but hate the concept...I remember back to the days of few on the water and the brotherhood. When that didn't work, the Coasties responded. As the tired old expression says..."the good old days"
Old 09-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #46
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
A couple of kind words about Seatow, in Sydney Australia. Recently we were delayed refueling while Seatow brought a diesel boat which had run out of fuel onto the fuel wharf;the Seatow guy stayed on board during refuel to bleed and restart the engine.
Recently in Blackwattle Bay, where the Sydney wholesale and retail fish market is acquaintances in a sailing yacht had their gearbox fail while moving from too close to a seawall and needed a tow;not being members they called Seatow who wanted $175 + for the job, but then said they were actually heading for the Fish Markets themselves and would do the short repositioning tow for $35.
The master Seatow franchise here is for sale,may the buyers be as good as the current operator. BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assistance, towing