Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2016, 01:46 PM   #41
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I probably should ammend genetics to bio, chemical, or psychological makeup.

As many have since posted, no rhyme or reason why some seem way more affect Ted than others. It is just not environmental factors....but some will affect others more than othrts.

The power of suggestion I think is great and others have given good examples.

Some environmental factors could even be just mental, but like superstitions in general, they affect reality more than we would like to think.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:05 PM   #42
Ted

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
I didn't get seasick until after a severe break of my ankle.
Had a drawer full of remedies that were tried, prescription
and other wise.
Finally got one that works(quite severe).
Depends on what the pill strength is (25 or 30 mg)
25 mg ephedrene and 25 mg phenergan (together)
every 12 hours as needed

If I'm already feeling sick, take the dose and lie down four 2 hours
(put someone else on the wheel, lol)

Ted

Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #43
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: Snow Mouse, Sanity
Vessel Model: BROOM 42, Birchwood 33
If you suck crystallised ginger slowly it will settle the stomach.
You can also help by sitting as near the centre point of the boat if possible and being able to look out at the horizon.
Fresh air helps too.
But as has been said the only sure fire cure is to sit under a tree.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:39 PM   #44
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Found on the way to lose the ability to balance reduces the possibility of seasickness. Perhaps one benefit of old age.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:00 PM   #45
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
I love when peeps come aboard and declare "I never get seasick". Our last victim was a retired Navy Senior chief. We got orders to assist an 1100' container ship disabled and at anchor near the entrance to Ambrose channel. We were in Norfolk and transited the Chesapeake Bay/C and D/ Del bay. This was during TS Hermine and forecast was for 18-20' seas. Forecast kept getting reduced as we progressed and we saw 12' max. Our new assistant engineer was face down on the galley table and had to be reminded that seasickness was not an exemption for engine room rounds.

I did a delivery a couple of years ago on a 36 Bertram from cape fear river to Vero Beach, Fl. We came out of the Cape fear river and I puked over the rail, first time in 30 plus years. Luckily the owner wasn't fast enough with his phone camera, but we got a good laugh. He didn't get sick.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:32 AM   #46

City: Campbell River, B.C.
Vessel Name: Passiontide
Vessel Model: 35' CHB Sea Lord
My antidote

I was introduced to elasticized wrist bands with beads threaded onto the bands which were placed above the wrist where one would check for a pulse, beads facing on the inside. Unsure if these are uncommon but having used them on the outside of the Charlottes for several days I am a convert and keep a pair in my tackle box. Beats pills that make you sleepy and drinking Coke to stay awake.
Barnacle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:42 AM   #47
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Sea Sickness ? How do you avoid it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnacle Bob View Post
I was introduced to elasticized wrist bands with beads threaded onto the bands which were placed above the wrist where one would check for a pulse, beads facing on the inside. Unsure if these are uncommon but having used them on the outside of the Charlottes for several days I am a convert and keep a pair in my tackle box. Beats pills that make you sleepy and drinking Coke to stay awake.

They are call Sea Bands. Follow the instructions in the box and put them on both wrists before leaving port.
I took a sailboat from Portland to LA. We were in 35 knot following seas all the way down to San Francisco. Without the Sea Bands I would have been one sick puppy.
Did not take any motion sickness pills. The Sea Bands stayed on me 24/7.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:04 AM   #48
Veteran Member

City: Hobart
Vessel Name: Theresa
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 66 LRMY
Here's my seasickness cure.
One for each of us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aft deck.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	57429  
stornoway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:38 AM   #49
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Lots of interesting theories so far. In the end mostly anecdotal, as there is almost as many theories as people. However, as a medico I have studied this quite a bit and there does seen to be a genetic predisposition to some extent. My father never got seasick, no matter what, when even I would sometimes feel a bit sleepy, which is the closest I ever get, when we were at anchor for him to fish, and the swell was large. His mother, my grandmother, was once given a special citation and a gift in appreciation after a cruise ship she came back to NZ from the UK on ran into such nasty weather most of the service personnel and crew were debilitated by seasickness, and she rolled up her sleeves and helped out, serving meals to folk in their cabins, and tending to them like a crew member.

Personally, for most, the best advice appears to be, as some have said, pre-load with a calmative like Dramamine or Travacalm or similar, repeated at intervals if necessary, rather than wait to see, and...perhaps more importantly...to try and not fight the movement by continually balancing against the movement, but to try and become one with the vessel, so ones muscles are not in continual motion fighting the movement, as that's the thing that really sets folk off in the end. Hence why the natural and sensible response to seasickness is to go and lie down. Moving with the boat can be helped also by wedging oneself into a seat, preferably in a corner somewhere, and going with the flow, as it were. If you do that, it does not make any difference looking at the sea, the horizon, or a book, for that matter. You will normally be ok. This is why taking the helm is often helpful, because one tends to do exactly that. You wedge oneself into a set position, then go with the boat's movement - that and because you are concentrating so much on steering, you forget to fight the motion.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:01 AM   #50
Guru

City: Heartland
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
I can understand sea sickness caused by mixed messages to your senory organs and medications, accupressure etc to try to deal with it. What always baffled me during my time in the Navy where those who got sick before we got underway. The word would be passed "Set the special sea detail, make all preparations for heavy weather" and there would be a line up at sick bay to get APC's ( placebo's) and instructions to go to the galley and get a soup can to tie around your neck to avoid accidents. Because if you barfed no matter how sick you where you cleaned up the mess.
Worst duty for getting queasy, the old DEW line extension. My first ship an old destroyer fitted out with a huge radar, take station off Newfoundland in the Winter, make 5 knots in a 50 mile circle for 30 days. That cured me for the next 22 years.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:16 PM   #51
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Sea Sickness ? How do you avoid it?

Although it's been over 25 years since I've 'fed the fish' my back up has always been 1/2 a Dramamine pill taken before I get off watch, so I can lay down and get a good nap. This lasts me 12 hours. So when I wake up for watch I am rested, and feel fine.

Trial and error; I tried it when I wake up, on the other end of the rest schedule but I am too drowsy to stand watch.

If I followed directions taking 2 pills every 12 hours I would be a zombie.

Making sure to be ON Dramamine prior to rough weather was key also. If it's already rough with no medicine it's too late.

I have seen others use the wrist bands and scopolamine with good result also.

Also, Drinking a glass of milk helped me. Seems milk coats the stomach. Not sure if this is just my way to have a 'mental cure'. Maybe a placebo effect?
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:58 PM   #52

City: Miami
Vessel Model: Californian 34 LRC
Try this maneuver several days BEFORE you sail:

https://youtu.be/kEM9p4EX1jk

Watch the video. Good luck.

Mad_viking3 is offline   Reply With Quote