Sea Nettles aka Jelly Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
In my wonderings, I found this link:
Ocean Prediction Center Sea Nettle Guidance

Indirectly it also answers my questions that I had asked so many in Europe, about the seemingly overabundance of jelly fish in both the eastern Baltic and now also this year in the rivers of Lisbon in particular. Seems to be related to salinity.

Oh, now I remember that the Baltic is only half as salty as the ocean. Probably much like the Chesapeake.

Beware the invading Jellyfish Hordes from outer space :eek:

Attachments

• Jellyfish Horde!.jpg
    Jellyfish Horde!.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Lots here in the PNW.
IMG_1477536918.564799.jpg

I guess you don't go swimming often?

The moon jellies in my photo are harmless. Cyanea (or lions mane, a red jellyfish) are mildly venomous.

Sea Nettles made us change our cruising plans down to the Chesapeake this summer. With temps around 100 and jellies so thick you can't safely swim, we decided to just do day trips closer to our home marina and spend a few days at home when it was too hot. No fun to just drive around with the genny and AC going trying to find marinas with swiming pools.

Oscar - I've heard of those nets for swiming. For us, it just isn't worth the cost or storage space for our once or twice a year trips down to the salt water. Maybe if we ever decide to move the boat to the Bay.

Did you know if you go up the Bay, towards the Sassafras river area, and go into the rivers, both of the summers I was on the Chesapeake, the salinity was low enough that there were no nettles.

Carolena, you need one of these: http://www.nojellyfish.com/[/QUOTE]

Oscar,

My brother in law had one 25 years ago when the inventor was just getting started. Made the hot days a lot more fun.

Rob

Did you know if you go up the Bay, towards the Sassafras river area, and go into the rivers, both of the summers I was on the Chesapeake, the salinity was low enough that there were no nettles.

Generally speaking, yes.... But during VERY dry summers there is not enough water coming down the rivers to keep the salt water out...... Not often, but I have seen it.

Magic Swim and Ocean Safe make larger pools too, but don't come cheap. The Ocean Safe is actually 33 x 16 and will custom make larger. Of course they get to be quite large to carry and very heavy.

These pools have become quite common for charter yachts worldwide as injury to charter guests is not conducive to good tips at the end.

MAGIC SWIM POOL FOR BOAT JELLYFISH PROTECTION NET POOL REEF SEA POOL

https://www.funair.com/collections/all-products/products/sea-pools
They have some nice lounges, slides, and other things too.

When I was a kid, I loved swimming in the lake and skiing on it. Over the years, all those getting ear infections became discouraging. In the ocean, I knew someone years ago who landed in a bed of jellyfish when he fell water skiing. He had to ski out of it and then rushed to the hospital but he spent quite a while in the hospital with a lot of permanent scarring. We love to swim in the ocean but we're very careful about where and we've considered some sort of device like shown. Swimming in the pool at the marina just isn't the same.

Just noticed Nettle Net is out of the 20' unit for the season? They can't make another one? That's insane. Do they not realize we don't all have seasons?

Last edited:
I spent a night on the hook near the Port Orchard Marina (PNW) a few weeks ago. The next morning I fired up the genset. Shortly after, it did an auto shutdown. I went to the cockpit and looked around. I then noticed a large amount of fist sized jellyfish. I checked my genset sea strainer and it was completely fouled with jelly fish. I removed and cleaned it, genset fired right back up. I will definitely be on the lookout for jellyfish before dropping anchor in the future.

Your "jellyfish" are pussy cats compared to the Irukandji found in Aussie waters. It is likely 2, maybe 3, French tourists died while snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef 2 weeks ago, due to contact with these little horrors. Probably not big enough or prevalent enough to clog water intakes, but they can definitely kill you. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irukandji_jellyfish

Your "jellyfish" are pussy cats compared to the Irukandji found in Aussie waters. It is likely 2, maybe 3, French tourists died while snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef 2 weeks ago, due to contact with these little horrors. Probably not big enough or prevalent enough to clog water intakes, but they can definitely kill you. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irukandji_jellyfish

A good reason to stay in the safety of the PNW. ;-)

Bruce
I'm not sure it was an Irukandji. It takes time for their stings to impact and they are not typically fatal. On the other hand, box jellyfish (chironex fleckeri) are extremely venomous and often cause immediate cardiac arrest. They are more of a threat to beach swimmers than people on reef cruises, but it seems to me they are the prime suspect.

The tour operator for the two 70 yo French fatalities, both of whom had cardiac arrests, was downplaying the jellyfish angle. But as one medico commented on TV, two cardia arrests by people next to each other in the water within a couple of minutes of each other is not just coincidence. It is the known risk season, the tour operator ought to have known of the risks and provided stinger suits or wetsuits. Even then, stings on hands/face are possible. Authorities are investigating, but it may take a while yet for the findings to be reported.

I'm keen to avoid the irukandji and will be using stinger suits for next season's cruise as those little sh#$ts are not uncommon on the Outer Reef even outside the high risk summer season.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom