Old 12-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #21
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
This is completely uncalled for!
I completely agree.

Chuck's install looks better by a factor of ten when compared to many canvas installations I've seen. But that's just my opinion...

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #22
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
What about big gusts or just windy days? My concern lies less with the looks and more that you can't take it down if 50+mph gusts are forecast.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #23
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I am concerned about our ultimate air draft so this sort of set up wouldn't work for me AND personally I'm not too fond of the look but as Mr. Chuck notes "To each his own"-exactly! I can see a definite advantage over canvas in that side panels would be held more snugly by the rigid top thus minimizing flapping in the breeze.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
What about big gusts or just windy days? My concern lies less with the looks and more that you can't take it down if 50+mph gusts are forecast.
Good point if one boats in an area with frequent higher winds. It's hard to tell from the photos on the website how easy the installation is, but I suppose if it's easy to dismount you could remove the panel if high winds are forecast and stow it on shore somewhere. Or even set it on edge on the side deck if the boat has them and lash it to the cabin rails or something.

I don't find the appearance much different than the full-length biminis I see on other boats. Biminis in general are not particularly complementary to the lines of most boats. I think it's the translucent nature of the panel(s) that make this one seem so different. If it was a solid Pacific Blue or green or one of the other popular Sunbrella colors it wouldn't call attention to itself as much.

A question I would have for someone who has one is since it's translucent does it provide the same kind of get-out-of-the-sun shade as a Sunbrella-type bimini?

I can certainly relate to Chuck's desire to eliminate the maintenance that comes with canvas covers and panels--- my wife has been spending a lot of time lately "saving" the older covers that came with our boat, particularly the ancient two-part flying bridge cover which has got to be approaching twenty years of age now.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #25
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I do kinda miss the yellow though. Now maybe I won't recognize you when passing.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #26
Guru

The top was up in Issac and we had 45 knots of sustained wind at one point. The weak link is not the top, but the hardware that holds the bimini bows. We live in south Florida so hurricanes are an issue and if one were coming the top would have to come off. Not a big deal, you just need someplace to store it. It can be removed in one piece, it's really light. Afternoon thunderstorms can come up with 50 to 60 knots of wind and there isn't time to remove canvas or anything else sometimes. I would much rather have this up than sunbrella. We have just as much shade as the cloth bimini but with a little more light in the flybridge. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #27
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I do kinda miss the yellow though. Now maybe I won't recognize you when passing.
Yeah... I haven't seen your boat in person, but was always impressed with the bright yellow.. I'll miss that.
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #28
Guru

Alright guys. If I can figure out any way to make it yellow without screwing it up, I'll do it.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #29
Guru

Maybe a yellow Sunbrella slip cover.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #30
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSailor View Post
Maybe a yellow Sunbrella slip cover.
: lol:

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Chuck View Post
We live in south Florida Chuck
Chuck, which coast? I was a East coaster, now a Westerner. I bought a tubing bender, notcher, and roller, with intentions of doing my own framework for a hardtop or a rigid frame for a canvas cover like seen on most T-tops, on the flybridge and a rooftop extension similar to the MkI Mainships with dinghy davits incorporated. I too think its the translucency thats causing the lukewarm reviews.

I bought all this equipment so I could build some parts for my Jeep build, and being able to attempt to do some stuff on my boat is a bonus.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post
Chuck, which coast?.
We were in the Naples Marco Island area. we're in Marathon right now.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:38 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Chuck, is the material some sort of extra tough polycarbonate..?
I can see that wind wise there is little resistance offered, the wind would shoot straight through, as there is no aerofoil shape to cause lift either However, I was just a bit concerned re impact damage as in our part of the world hail golfball size is not that uncommon, hence my query.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #34
Guru

Peter, I can't see how hail would dent it due to the way it's constructed. But I would suggest you contact Hard To Top with the question and I'm sure they will reply. Chuck
Old 12-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Chuck View Post
we're in Marathon right now.
For an "interesting" dining experience head to the Key Largo Fisheries Restaurant. Unless thats where you're staying already.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #36
Guru

What would a bimini like that cost? I just had a conventional bimini built about that same size that set me back around $2100 (1" diameter, thick wall stainless bows, Sunbrella Plus)
Old 12-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #37

If any company comes up with a nice-looking semi-portable hard-top, I would be most interested in checking it out. The one referenced in this thread is not it.
ColonyCove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #38
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Originally Posted by ColonyCove
Just the thing for those who want their trawlers to have that trailer trash look.

Quote:
This is completely uncalled for!
I firmly agree Gonzo!

IMHO – Any placement of items on a boat that the boat owner desires/likes is A-OK, so long as it does not interfere with other boaters’ equipment or docks. Looks/usefulness is in the eye/mind of the beholder/owner. To those who post rude remarks about other’s desired specifics placed on their own boats – Shame on YOU!

Regarding this thread’s topic, i.e. upper most top coverings: Costs and usefulness and wind age and last ability are some prime items that come into play for a boat owner. The way I like it for bimini tops it is low wind age with the tall items capable to quickly and easily be furled, fully battened down, and boot-wrap-protected while providing great usefulness when erect. Sunbrella bimini lasts many, many years when furled dry and boot-covered. Also, by dropping all tall items on boat it is easier to locate covered berth for great weather protection during the times of non use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	14727   Click image for larger version

Name:	TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	14728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
Views:	76