Old 12-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
FF
Guru

Save water?

<ul>[*]All the common housey publications are touting an ancient boat trick as "New and Green".[/list]They have just discovered lots of water gets waisted , while folks wait for hot water at a tap or shower.WOW!

ON a 50's motor sailor , I once served* on the setup was automatic with the operation of the diesel furnace for heat or HW the water was circed to the galley and head .
The head had a bathtub and heated (returning HW ) towel racks.
All great , till you realized it was Britsh , and the galley sink, toilet sink, and bathtub all has pull pumps to lift the water to discharge.

Any how, the avilibility of a small cast iron circ pump , and a 15 or 30 second timer is news to the construction folks, so perhaps it is news to your good selves.

A circuit would run from the HW tank to a T below the hw faucet* toa return line back to the HW heater.Anywhere in this circuit would be the circ pump.

Removing the std drain valve gives a spot to add whatever plumbing needed to return the coolish* water.

Lots more fun showering with a friend , but we do what we can to extend the vessels endurance .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Re: Save water?

Was thinking about a simple 1/4 turn valve on the hot water line in the head that would simply dump the water back in the water tank. Turn the valve on, when the valve gets warm to the touch, turn it off.

Ted
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #3

City: South Puget Sound, WA

Quote:
O C Diver wrote:

Was thinking about a simple 1/4 turn valve on the hot water line in the head that would simply dump the water back in the water tank. Turn the valve on, when the valve gets warm to the touch, turn it off.

Ted
Excellent approach!* Simple, inexpensive, basically foolproof.

Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic

Quote:
O C Diver wrote:

Ted
Not sure if this would work?* Since the whole fresh water system is at the same pressure I doubt if water would flow into the hot water tank without a recirculating pump to move it.* But it would be nice if it were that simple.* Have a Great New Year.

JohnP
IG 32* #25*
"Adagio"** Toms River** NJ
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40

Quote:
JohnP wrote:

O C Diver wrote:

Ted
Not sure if this would work?* Since the whole fresh water system is at the same pressure I doubt if water would flow into the hot water tank without a recirculating pump to move it.* But it would be nice if it were that simple.* Have a Great New Year.

JohnP
IG 32* #25*
the " return" line needs to go back to the water storage tank.... not the water heater... it needs the pressure imbalance to work.. unless the spot it returns from is the highest point in the system and the water will thermosyphon
HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

How much hot/warm water to you really need, except to shower? How many times do you need to shower?* How long does it take for you to shower?**
If you restrict the flow and limit the times warm/hot water is used you can*save more water than the amount you might capture back into the tank.* If you have a hand held you could fill the sink to be used later.*
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic

Quote:
hollywood8118 wrote:

JohnP wrote:

O C Diver wrote:

Ted

JohnP
IG 32* #25*
the " return" line needs to go back to the water storage tank.... not the water heater... it needs the pressure imbalance to work.. unless the spot it returns from is the highest point in the system and the water will thermosyphon
HOLLYWOOD

*Duh, Now I get--return to water storage- It is a pretty simple idea.* Live and Learn-- John P

JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45

Apparently I wasn't clear:

In the hotel business, I believe it's called "instant hot water loop". Visualize a one story motel with 10 rooms in a row. The hot water boiler is at one end, and the hot water feed line runs along the back wall of all the rooms where the bathrooms are. At the last room there is a very small circulating pump (<2 GPM) that pushes water back through a 3/8" insulated return line into the boiler. The result is the feed line is always hot so when you turn the faucet on there is almost instant hot water.

My idea was to lay the plumbing out in the same way on my boat. Instead of circulating hot water with a pump, open a valve to a return line that dumps the water back into my water tank. Might not need to purge the line to use the galley sink which would be fairly close to the hot water heater, but definitely like the idea for the head which is in the bow.

Final thought is that most boat sinks and showers have fairly low flow outlets. Since your dumping the water back into the water tank, a 1/2 line and ball valve would purge the feed line fairly quickly. No waiting for the shower water to get hot and no waste.

Ted
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
Guru

Save water?

I have a hot water circulating system in my house. Concerned about over stressing my septic tank I installed a grundfos circ pump about 3 years ago. A timer turns the pump on along with the hot water heater during peak hot water demand. A diverter valve located at the far end of the plumbing run uses the cold water side to return the hot water to the hot water heater tank. The system works great and a system that works on a boat will be a serious consideration in the near future. With water sometimes running a buck a gallon in the Bahamas, it's a no brainer.

A brass ball valve located at the far end of the plumbing run opened for the duration of your shower and dumping the water back into the water tank should do it.

-- Edited by timjet on Sunday 26th of December 2010 07:31:42 PM
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote