Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 04:25 PM   #41
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Too bad there is not a reasonable way of disposing of an old boat. By the time a boat is near worthless no one is going to spend big bucks to get rid of it. Sell it cheap--give it away-abandon it? Of course someone is going to try to live in it on the cheap!
Affordable housing is another problem. SanFrancisco-New York City! Very expensive to live there--why do the homeless think they can? I can't and I know it. Just Sayin
Old 01-17-2020, 05:26 PM   #42
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Affordable housing is another problem. SanFrancisco-New York City! Very expensive to live there--why do the homeless think they can? I can't and I know it. Just Sayin
Boy howdy, do I have something to say about this but, I wont.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:33 PM   #43
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Boy howdy, do I have something to say about this but, I wont.
Thank you.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:14 PM   #44
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Thank you.
And from a one time homeless man, you are welcome.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:09 PM   #45
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
2 problems solved!

https://unusualplaces.org/equihen-pl...2ybmnnGz7Ekozk
Old 01-17-2020, 07:50 PM   #46
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
So are there any "Junk" yards for boats?
Old 01-17-2020, 08:14 PM   #47
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
So are there any "Junk" yards for boats?
I've seen some marinas that fit the bill!
Old 01-17-2020, 08:26 PM   #48
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
And from a one time homeless man, you are welcome.
Is this the case of a divorce where the wife gets the home and the man gets the boat?
Old 01-18-2020, 02:27 AM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Is this the case of a divorce where the wife gets the home and the man gets the boat?
Nope.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:12 PM   #50

City: Grass Valley Ca
Vessel Name: n/a
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander
All reasonable sides of this problem are valid but MONEY is now the only thing that matters.
Once the lawyer's get involved common sense will vanish!
Just watch
Old 01-19-2020, 10:25 PM   #51
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
There are junk yards for boats, at least in some places. But, they don't often work for free. In the LA Harbor, there is a "crusher". In general, you pay them to take a boat, they strip anything with an immediate market out of it, and they literally crush the boat, scoop up the rubble, and off to solid waste it goes. I've seen some really pretty ones crushed over there. There was a classic paddle wheel river boat one day.

The marina I was at would regularly send boats there when owners quit paying. At a certain point, they didn't really have an option. Even if it costs money to crush a boat -- it'll cost more money over time not to lease the slip it is in.

Yes, they had some work to lien the vessel, etc, and more if it was a documented vessel than state titled -- but they regularly did it. Sometimes owners who recognized the hole they were in would sign the papers over and walk away. But, sometimes not.
But, the marina was very consistent in their handling of such things.

If the vessel appeared to have any value, they'd often try to sell it to friends of marina tenants or by word of mouth for next to nothing just to save the cost of the crusher. They wouldn't advertise or anything, and the purchase window was short.

But, the golden rule was that the boat had to leave the marina at the time of sale. They wouldn't let you keep it there, even if you started paying rent right away. And, even if you paid all of the back rent. I won't say that there were never exceptions -- but they were really rare.

Some people liked to say that the marina blamed the boat for not paying its bills vs the owner. But, I think they had too much history with giving away boats just to have to start the lien process all over again in a few months.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:43 AM   #52
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesden View Post
There are junk yards for boats, at least in some places. But, they don't often work for free. In the LA Harbor, there is a "crusher". In general, you pay them to take a boat, they strip anything with an immediate market out of it, and they literally crush the boat, scoop up the rubble, and off to solid waste it goes. I've seen some really pretty ones crushed over there. There was a classic paddle wheel river boat one day.

The marina I was at would regularly send boats there when owners quit paying. At a certain point, they didn't really have an option. Even if it costs money to crush a boat -- it'll cost more money over time not to lease the slip it is in.

Yes, they had some work to lien the vessel, etc, and more if it was a documented vessel than state titled -- but they regularly did it. Sometimes owners who recognized the hole they were in would sign the papers over and walk away. But, sometimes not.
But, the marina was very consistent in their handling of such things.

If the vessel appeared to have any value, they'd often try to sell it to friends of marina tenants or by word of mouth for next to nothing just to save the cost of the crusher. They wouldn't advertise or anything, and the purchase window was short.

But, the golden rule was that the boat had to leave the marina at the time of sale. They wouldn't let you keep it there, even if you started paying rent right away. And, even if you paid all of the back rent. I won't say that there were never exceptions -- but they were really rare.

Some people liked to say that the marina blamed the boat for not paying its bills vs the owner. But, I think they had too much history with giving away boats just to have to start the lien process all over again in a few months.
I've seen video of fiberglass boat crushing machines as well as video of metal-only crushing/shredding/cutting machines. Also seen video of large wooden boats being cut-up by saws or demolished by articulating crusher-ripper attachments on the end of crane arms.

Metal-only scrap gets recycled; it has value.

Wood eventually decomposes [within a few hundred years]; although costly to initially shred and dispose of.

Many types of boats' fiberglass and/or multi material compositions are a costly and unusable waste; a dollar drain as well as up to many millennium long pollution factors.

I'll take a guess that during the next 50-60 years a very large percentage [70%??] of the millions of already substantially aging cold lam or full-on fiberglass pleasure and work boats now in existence at marinas [many already sit languishing, just waiting to be demolished] will need to be dealt-with.

OUCH - for Planet Earth's ecosystem!!
Old 01-20-2020, 07:39 AM   #53
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Awhile back .....some posts were made about how in Europe, yards were given incentives to refurbish older, fiberglass boats and in a few cases they were doing aoak.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:44 AM   #54
Enigma

Greetings,
For those that didn't follow the link in post #46...

House the homeless...
Old 01-20-2020, 08:11 AM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,

House the homeless...
Alas, some group will complain ..... not politically correct to put the homeless in derelict boats.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:19 AM   #56
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,

House the homeless...
That is quite cute RT! However...

The real [root and route] problem with and for vast majority of homeless persons is not "homelessness". It is alcoholism, street and precript drug addictions, mental and physical illness; and/or those unfortunates who were naturally born-with very low IQ portions . These life-debilitating, existence crushing afflictions run rampant throughout too many sectors of society. Thus: Enormous size and scope of "The Homeless".

Unfortunately, whether or not boats [faux or otherwise] are turned upside down or left upright... whether or not condos, apartments or mini-houses are provided for most of the homeless persons - They have no desire [or capability] to constructively use that uplift [basic dwelling gift] as a lever to better themselves. Too large a proportion of the homeless population are already "ruined" human beings.

Soylent Green??? - sad, sad, sad!
Old 01-20-2020, 08:24 AM   #57
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. OD. I hear what you're saying but surely some bright bulb can put a PC spin on it.
"Yacht homes"?
"Hull havens"?
"Nautical nooks, perhaps?

Edit: Mr. A. Just saw your post and unfortunately agree. The homeless "situation" goes hand in hand with the lack of $$ for needed maintenance of municipal facilities ie: sewage treatment plants, sewers etc.

The whole mess is a sad commentary on the decline of the country. People AND vessels cast aside as derelict and left to rot.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:27 AM   #58
Guru

Years ago, a well meaning group, in SF, decided they could produce a small abode for the homeless. As I remember, the singular room was well appointed. Alas, a liberal group was "agin" them and called them "dog houses" and demeaning to the homeless.

To these well meaning groups obviously has never gone tent camping or boating.

In a north GA state forest, they designed and built "barrel houses" to rent out for as long as the weather permitted. Small, self-contained, small galley, septic sanitary systems and and and. The authority rented them and had at least a 1 year waiting list.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:43 AM   #59
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
So where do the homeless go? Away, is not an answer. There is a visible homeless population in most cities for the simple reason that most cities are run by Democrats and Democratic administrations don’t, as a rule, believe in “rousting the bums”. It’s easy to “fix” the issue of visible poverty and lack of affordable housing if you just let the police run them out of town, imprison them or buy them a bus ticket somewhere else. But how is that a solution?
Every alternative costs money and we all know that raising taxes for ANYTHING is simply not going to happen in America. The only reason imprisonment is so popular is that privatization of incarceration is a chance for someone to make money off of the misery of others and that taking money from the poor via fines and penalties helps to support the system.
Never forget that in 2020, the cruelty IS the point.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:53 AM   #60
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. OD. Yup. Thread drift, yet again BUT connected...

I suspect that the "liberal group(s)" may have had an ulterior motive for their opposition. A fixed abode is just that, fixed (non movable). Much easier to shoo the homeless out from under a bridge and get them to move on that move real estate. It's the classic NIMBY (not in my back yard) syndrome. "I don't want to look at the derelicts", both boats AND people. Fair enough and understandable but cleaning the waterways of eyesores is much more doable than sending people to the land fill.

As noted by Mr. A, the problem is not simply not having a home, it's not having a life or will to live that needs be addressed. No one with enough money is willing to spend it on rehabilitation for these people and funding to groups willing to spend $$ is sadly lacking.

Addictions have been discussed on TF previously with some members stating that the addicts have brought it upon themselves, made bad choices etc. That's one way to look at the problem but not the way I look at it.

Short of suicide, some have chosen to escape their demons via drugs or alcohol. Some are eventually able to slay said demons and return to society. Others, not so much.

I doubt, very much, anyone wakes up one morning and says "Gee, I think I'll become a heroin addict". Without help from society, heroin, alcohol etc. are options that, sadly, ARE readily available.

Edit: Golly. I type too slowly. Mr. WH. Politics aside, I agree.