Old 03-24-2016, 12:40 AM   #41
Veteran Member

City: Laconner
Intellian has been great. Cruise n BC. Use direct tv and never had a problem.

Bigsalmonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:41 AM   #42
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Dave,

The easiest way to get cable news to keep her happy is Sirius/XM. That's what we do. It was kind of throw back to the 30's when we listened to the Belmont Stakes last year huddled around the radio.

Tom

tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:30 AM   #43
Veteran Member

City: Henderson
Vessel Name: Charismatic
Vessel Model: Hatteras LRC
I am getting ready to replace my Directtv KVH M5. I am told it's soon going to be obsolete anyway. I am deciding between the TV5 and the HD version TV7. I think I was told the TV5 has one coax cable and the TV7 has four. Also something about the TV7 tracking two satellites so you can watch different programming simultaneously if you have two receivers. I'd really like to have HD but its a lot more money.
Captain Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:08 AM   #44
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Is it just me, but how do you all justify $7-12K just to watch TV and that's before you even buy the TV.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:36 AM   #45
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Because they can...

How do we justify boats at all?

Kinda like people that own 2 private jets...ect...etc...

I know...you probably have support from the the crowd who always wonders why does anyone need a boat over 30 feet? Why do people need heat or air conditioning? Why a genset? Why?... Why?... Why?...

Because we aren't all the same...either in what we like to do or financial resources.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:57 AM   #46
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Paul View Post
I am getting ready to replace my Directtv KVH M5. I am told it's soon going to be obsolete anyway. I am deciding between the TV5 and the HD version TV7. I think I was told the TV5 has one coax cable and the TV7 has four. Also something about the TV7 tracking two satellites so you can watch different programming simultaneously if you have two receivers. I'd really like to have HD but its a lot more money.
As I understand it, (which is likely wrong) DirectTV is still going to work with your M5. If that is the case, I think I would just keep using your M5 and DirectTV until it it completely dies or DirectTV does the same thing that Dish has done.

It would delay your purchase possibly long enough for a bit more shake out in the standards. The price of the HD antennas just may come down over time as well.

My understanding of this whole area is very weak however.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #47
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
I don't have TV on my boat.
I do have TV in my motorhome, so some of the issues discussed here are the same for the RV community.
Shaw recently sent all of its customers, both Sat and cable, an offer of free, internet based TV to your android or i device. This solution will enable you to get HD quality anywhere you can get a cell signal of good quality or any other form of an internet signal.
Can you get an internet signal on any of the currently available sat receivers?
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:34 AM   #48

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Deuce
Vessel Model: Motorcat MC30
In-motion satellite data/internet is very, VERY expensive. The beam must be precise as the user is also transmitting to the satellite and not just receiving. We're talking mega yachts, shipping lines, cruise ships. It is also very expensive and not something the average user (who is paying the bill) would want to stream video on.
Gulfstar 36 MKII - 1976 - Work in progress
mixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:53 AM   #49
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40

http://track-it-tv.com/mobile-internet-access.aspx

How about 2-way satellite TV Internet systems?

How about using Track It TV® with either of the 36" x 24" Starband (DishNET) or DirecPC (Hughes) dishes that provide both TV and and "2-way" broad-band Internet service? Unfortunately, these dishes are really too big and heavy for Track It TV®. But in addition, no tracking system to date, including our own very accurate Track It TV®, can keep these dishes aligned well enough with the satellite for high speed data transmission.
Professional installers tell us that absolutely NO movement can be tolerated. And electronic tuning for each location is required as well for these systems to work on land. Several customers have tried without success to use Track It TV® with both of these systems for 2-way Internet tracking on boats.
How about 1-way satellite TV Internet systems?

These services only handle 1-way responses from the Internet via satellite. They have been around for years and have not been popular, because requests to the Internet must go via a slow landline (or possibly cell or satellite phone), with fast responses coming back via satellite.
For mobile applications the per-minute charges for cell or satellite phone service make this an expensive and potentially slow solution. One manufacturer packaged a satellite phone and 1-way Internet system for mobile use for about $6000. We sold only a few Track It TV® units for the 1-way Internet solution several years ago, but are unsure if it is even still available for use with separate user supplied components to an individual as it was in the past.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:38 PM   #50
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
They still have some software and hardware development to work on but this might be the holy grail for those looking for broadband underway:

Home - OneWeb | OneWorld
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:31 PM   #51
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Is it just me, but how do you all justify $7-12K just to watch TV and that's before you even buy the TV.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:49 PM   #52
Veteran Member

City: Noank
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Classic
Intellian I3

We installed an Intellian I3 in 2012 using DISH and all has worked great since. Only had to contact Intellian once and experienced very prompt and helpful service.

After following this thread I'm now wondering if my system will function properly next month when we launch for the 2016 season. Hopefully we won't experience any problems.

Avatar photo is from 2011 prior to mounting the Intellian unit above the radar.
AvalonGB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:34 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Yeah, well I have to replace mine anyway because it was damaged but I really thought they said something about becoming obsolete in the next couple years. So, yeah it is still working now but I think it's lifetime is somewhat limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
As I understand it, (which is likely wrong) DirectTV is still going to work with your M5. If that is the case, I think I would just keep using your M5 and DirectTV until it it completely dies or DirectTV does the same thing that Dish has done.

It would delay your purchase possibly long enough for a bit more shake out in the standards. The price of the HD antennas just may come down over time as well.

My understanding of this whole area is very weak however.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:39 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Hey it's a really tough call but for example, sometimes there is a game on that I won't miss and I don't want to not be on my boat because of it. It also depends how often and what you use your boat for. If you just go to your boat to take it out for an amount of time and then come back and go home then it's probably harder to justify. If you live aboard or spend lots of time aboard it becomes something you probably want a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post