Old 11-22-2012, 04:37 AM   #41
Guru

City: Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post

Yes, I thought that would be the case. Do you have any info on the dimensions - so far I have been unable to locate it. I was going to use the height of a house balcony as minimum, but have yet to find that also.
OK, found a bit on houses - minimum 1m height, plus some othe requirements that aren't practical for a boat.
Well being a house buider I can shed some light on the house balcony heights. You are indeed correct. 1000mm is the minimum AS/NZ standards height for the top rail.

iPad Forum Runner
Old 11-22-2012, 04:38 AM   #42
Guru

City: Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
Must admit I am pretty happy with my rail set up 1 1/4" SS with wire mid height on main deck and 2 wires on fore deck.
Height from deck to top rail and space in between is set by local marine authotity (Department of Transport)if boat is in survey to carry passangers.
I built my boat to survey standard but never put it into survey after launch day.
I have the white plastic coated ss wire at present and am pretty pleased with it.
This stuff is due for replacement soon as it is 17 years old. Will probably stick with the plastic coated stuff.
It may be just me but your rig is fookin HUGE!!!! You can really tell from the avatar but wow. Impressive mate! What are her dimensions?

iPad Forum Runner
Old 11-22-2012, 06:36 AM   #43
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Brian,
If I remember correctly I think it is 960 mm. Will check when I get back to boat next week.I am presently up in Port Hedland on the tugs.

Hendo,
Tidahapah is 48'6" x 15'6" with a 5'8" draft
Built 1995. Fred Fleming design , built by Bert Ellis (& myself) in Norman Creek Brisbane.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #44
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Very satisfied. It is good to have secure railings and handholds. The interference with visibility is minimal compared to the security provided. Besides that I use the stanchions for a quick check for a constant bearing in a crossing situation. If the bearing does not change I alter course.

https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #45
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Due to an unbalanced equilibrium (physical NOT mental) I have found venturing onto a deck without a railing, even with handholds, an unsettling experience. Whether or not a rail of any sort gives me a false sense of security, I don't know but I just feel more comfortable with something there.
As for checking bearings, good suggestion. I've been using my gun sight all these years...

I may have to consider some sort of wire or netting between the stanchions for the ever increasing number of tykes that seem to be making their way on board.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #46

City: San Antonio
Vessel Name: Shintullah
Vessel Model: 55' 1978 Defever
Perfect timing on this thread… the railings are my next project on Shintullah. First question, Mark do you know the wall thickness of Coot’s railings? I know you said the OD is 1.25 and you comment on how sturdy they feel, at last months boat show in Annapolis several of the new boats had large diameter railings in the inch to inch and a half range but the still felt very “wimpy” almost like you were holding a piece of PVC pipe, they were stainless, I just think the wall thickness was very thin…
I have two areas to work on; the bow and the aft hand rails. You can see from the photo’s the replacing the bow rails is a given and you can see I need to replace the teak the rail bolts to… in an attempt to keep maintenance down I’m considering replacing it with painted steel and being done with it, I have been looking for a synthetic teak replacement but can’t find anything.
For the aft hand rail, there are several sections missing on the starboard side, I was thinking again in an effort to reduce maintenance replacing the teak with and extruded aluminum hand rail… or maybe a 2 inch stainless steel tube… or just making the teak easy to un-bolt for annual finishing… or I’m back to the synthetic teak, has anyone found a fake teak that really looks like teak?
Attached Thumbnails
F_7220_99340.jpg   photo 30.jpg  
Talonewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #47
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Our railings are 1.25" with a life line between the top and the base. At 3 of the 5 stanchions (on each side), a 1" brace has been added that is thru bolted at the deck. The brace adds support and prevents the railings from deflecting out ward when someone leans against them. We have never found them to be a trip hazard or toe killer.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 1336.jpg   Stanchions.jpg  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #48
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonewo View Post
... First question, Mark do you know the wall thickness of Coot’s railings? I know you said the OD is 1.25 and you comment on how sturdy they feel, ...?
Thickness is unknown to me. Key is solid connection with the hull. Coot has railings welded to the gunwale. Larry's approach looks good if welding isn't an option.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #49
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
From recollection of a case where a young lady "with a few on board" fell off a balcony with lower than building reg. rail heights, 1 metre sounds about right. You could ask the local Shire Council. Too low, they can flip people over rather than contain them. When you think about it,they should protect people,even if they are "3 sheets to the wind", because that is how some people will be sometimes.
It has been said the only safe industrial machine is so well guarded it defies use.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:26 AM   #50
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
My railings need help. I don't have great pictures to share, but a few and you may get an idea. I don't think I can make them any higher, but I do need to replace either with new teak or something else the mid to aft sections. What happened is two things, 1. over the 35 years or so the previous owner(s) sanded so much of the teak off ( as much a 1/4") that they are just no longer fit for purpose as well as ugly. 2. on the port side there was some kind of repair that when the gate is closed it fits, but when open will not fit in it's latch. The bow pulpit is fine, but I'd like to add double life-lines maybe. Here are some pics, but I have to take better close ups.

The gunwale where the stations attach has also been sanded down to the bronze screws fastening them to the hull an many of them.

There are several cracks where an attempt was made with some kind of glue and brads.

The gate on the Port side (not this view) does not lock in the open position because of a poor repair job.

The bow pulpit arrangement is OK by me.
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:53 AM   #51
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
My cut is when at sea...hanholds are the necessary issue whether railings or handholds...unless you have shiplike railing strength and height...you run the risk of going over if you are depending on the rail.

I'm with RTF though...something that helps your balance is great...but it doesn't have t be an actual security blanket.

Of course I try and NOT take my boat into conditions where railings need to be more secure than for balance only....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld
My cut is when at sea...hanholds are the necessary issue whether railings or handholds...unless you have shiplike railing strength and height...you run the risk of going over if you are depending on the rail.

I'm with RTF though...something that helps your balance is great...but it doesn't have t be an actual security blanket.

Of course I try and NOT take my boat into conditions where railings need to be more secure than for balance only....
Thumbs up to that last sentence!! And for the fact handholds are great and work best when used! one hand for the ship...
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #53
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
Thumbs up to that last sentence!! And for the fact handholds are great and work best when used! one hand for the ship...
With this klutz, it's often two hands just for me.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #54
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I'm satisfied with my rails, but some maintenance is needed. The forward stainless rails are starting to loosen and need to be rebedded. I've got the butyl tape for the job and have been waiting for the time to tackle it.

The aft teak rails are normally protected from dings and scratches with split fire hose held in place with Velcro hook and loop strips. We love the look of well-maintained teak rails, but I sometimes I get tired of the well-maintained part!! The caprail and aft rail need a few more coats of varnish to keep them looking good which will be done this winter.
Attached Thumbnails
FW1.jpg   FW2.jpg  

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #55
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
We talken rails here??? LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Sun Rise Through Mstr Strm Window-Door.jpg   Sun Rise Through Fog.jpg   Downsize_Copy of TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.JPG  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #56
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I'm satisfied with my rails, but some maintenance is needed. The forward stainless rails are starting to loosen and need to be rebedded.
Don't like wiggly railings. I'll just lay here and hope for the best (on Al's boat.)

Old 11-26-2012, 05:10 AM   #57
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Man's got a photo for every occasion....
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:06 AM   #58
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Man's got a photo for every occasion....
Yes, Peter... That is surely true! But, if you'll notice Mark is in nearly every picture. Therefore it is the Pict-Taker who also deserves much applause... Might I venture a guess it is his pretty wife? Or maybe Mark has photo quality surveillance cameras all over his boat?? OK, Mark, fess up - - > How is it you have a pict for every occasion? Inquiring TF minds want to know!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #59
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC

It wasn't me...

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #60
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Yes, Peter... That is surely true! But, if you'll notice Mark is in nearly every picture. Therefore it is the Pict-Taker who also deserves much applause... Might I venture a guess it is his pretty wife? Or maybe Mark has photo quality surveillance cameras all over his boat?? OK, Mark, fess up - - > How is it you have a pict for every occasion? Inquiring TF minds want to know!

Poparazzi!
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote