Sanitation hose preferences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave_E

Vessel Name
Agnus Dei
Vessel Make
36' Shin Shing
Hi All,

Ordered the holding tank today. I'm going to order bulk sanitation hose now. I have used the Trident Marine hose in my sailboat and I remember more >?$%$#@@! coming out of that ordeal than I care to remember, because I couldn't route the stuff (too stiff). I see Raritan makes 1 1/2" stuff that is a rubber compound (has a 5 year smell check warranty), but is supposed to be easier to route. Discussion, pros and cons? Anyone use the Raritan?

Dave

Raritan SaniFlex would be an excellent choice. Trident 101/102 is equally odor resistant and costs a lot less, but is as stiff as an ironing board which makes it less than ideal choice unless all your plumbing runs are just about straight. Raritan SaniFlex is proving to be just as odor resistant and can be bent like a hairpin without kinking.

The trident I used last fall on my project worked great But if you need a small radius bend (under 8") I'd be thinking about using 45's and el's with hose barb fittings

Raritan SaniFlex would be an excellent choice. Trident 101/102 is equally odor resistant and costs a lot less, but is as stiff as an ironing board which makes it less than ideal choice unless all your plumbing runs are just about straight. Raritan SaniFlex is proving to be just as odor resistant and can be bent like a hairpin without kinking.

Used the SaniFlex last fall when redoing our head and plumbing. Very easy to route and very happy with the results.

John

Saniflex made the tight turns I needed it to.

Hopefully will be relatively odorfree as it is the low point in my overboard discharge line.

Looked like it had a barrier built in so I give it a good shot for odor resistance...it is pricey though for the long runs.

Reactivating this any maybe Peggie might reply ;-)

A friend is getting pushed to use “Great a white”, “Headhunter” sanitation hose by their vendor- any knowledge?

HeadHunter's Great White is good hose, but VERY pricy--only available directly from HeadHunter in 50' coils @ $16/ft for 1.5" and no better, if even as good as Raritan SaniFlex RaritanSaniFlex hose, which he can buy from Defender for < $10/ft, sold by the foot. Raritan Sani / Flex Sanitation Hose at Defender Plus, SaniFlex now has a 10 yr warranty against odor permeation...I didn't see any warranty info for Great White on the HeadHunter site.

--Peggie

+1 absolutely on the SaniFlex hose. It is great, bends very easily and doesn’t permeate.

HeadHunter's Great White is good hose, but VERY pricy--only available directly from HeadHunter in 50' coils @ $16/ft for 1.5" and no better, if even as good as Raritan SaniFlex RaritanSaniFlex hose, which he can buy from Defender for < $10/ft, sold by the foot. Raritan Sani / Flex Sanitation Hose at Defender Plus, SaniFlex now has a 10 yr warranty against odor permeation...I didn't see any warranty info for Great White on the HeadHunter site.

--Peggie

Thanks Peggie! Specs seem almost identical- any chance Headhunter private labeled SaniFlex?

AFAIK the best stuff available in Europe is Seaflow Butyl sanitation hose.

Just fitted some, it is available in the UK from ASAP Supplies.

It is far superior to anything else I have used.

Peggy what do you think about replacing hose with PVC pipe when no bends are required? Several friends have gone this route in the belief that service life in a house with this stuff far exceeds marine hose and is much less expensive.

Hard PVC is fine for long straight runs. But runs with a lot of bends would require a lot of inline radius fittings, which can become traps for bits of TP and solid waste and/or leak. However, in a run that has both, you could use hard pipe for the long straight run, use hose for each end which is where the bends are likely to be. Just remember that sea water minerals and/or struvites can also build up in hard pipe.

--Peggie

Back
Top Bottom